• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Federal Budget 2024 megathread

Here (2021, Stats Can, apparently takes a while to gather the data). Median, not average.
that looks like after tax family median income?

vs

Not just Ford's. We rejected here in Windsor also. We weren't enamoured when the feds told us where to build them. Like in the middle of a shopping street with the stores. Our mayor told them we'llo do it, but we'll decide where. Trudeau didn't like it and no funds for us. Strangely, the only and most vocal supporters of the project were our real estate people. Everyone else was against it.
Seems like a good idea for the federal government to encourage good practices and policy. If the province or municipality wants to try and negate that then thats on them

Seems like a good idea for the federal government to encourage good practices and policy. If the province or municipality wants to try and negate that then thats on them
First thing, housing is provincial jurisdiction. Second I need you to envision a street full of nothing but stores and office businesses. A store becomes empty. Trudeau expects a four plex to be built fronting on that street in the middle of a commercial area. It's not a good idea.

Trudeau has been trying to co-opt health care, housing, school breakfasts, etc and rebranding then as his own. Provinces already have school meal programs, housing and health care. They need that money transferred into their own existing programs. Not duplicate federal initiatives to polish a turd. They don't need Trudeau coming in and gumming up the works with his half baked, intrusive ego trips. Same with the rest. Just so he can claim the whole program as his own. Then he stands up, crowing about how he is helping Canada's most vulnerable. Has anyone you know or yourself attempted to get $10 dental care? The rules make it all but impossible to access it. But sock boy gets his talking point, for the price of millions of dollars. The vast majority of the money he gives out on his lies is mostly to cover administration and not performance. He's stealing and using our money in a massive, misdirected PR campaign. Too bad most Canadians who know him as an untrustworthy, lying, ego seeking hypocrite are having to waste their hard earned taxes to watch him burn it up trying to regain some semblance of popularity.

If you wish to be and back a marxist trudeau government, go ahead. But don't try tell me he's good for the middle class and his plans are going to do a single thing to help Canadians.

Last edited:
First thing, housing is provincial jurisdiction.
So…why is the CPC blaming Trudeau and the Feds on this? Why isn’t he blaming the provinces?

They could (and do) blame the Feds on the immigration thing. That’s at least valid bc the federal govt has a huge hand in that.

The CPC, etc pushing the LPC into delving specifically into housing is, IMO, a bit of an own goal. They pressed the Feds on it, who said that it was provincial. They continued pressing, which made the LPC change tack and propose funds to work with the provinces or municipalities if the provinces don’t agree. Then the CPC says it’s “no fair” and that it’s a provincial jurisdiction.

All of this wouldn’t have started if the CPC didn’t bring it up to score political hits.

Second I need you to envision a street full of nothing but stores and office businesses. A store becomes empty. Trudeau expects a four plex to be built fronting on that street in the middle of a commercial area. It's not a good idea.
Why not? If housing is created in an area that you can actually gasp walk to the store for groceries or to a restaurant rather than having to drive, how is that a bad thing?

What you’re slamming is exactly what happens in Europe and Asia, rather than the sprawling cookie-cutter suburbia in the US and Canada.

First thing, housing is provincial jurisdiction.
The problem is that the blame is being put on Trudeau. As I said before, if you blame the feds and it starts to hit their polling, they will do something. Remember how lambasted he was when he said that housing wasn’t a primary function of the federal government? Pierre Poilievre seems to have similar housing plans to the LPC. People can’t have it both ways.
Second I need you to envision a street full of nothing but stores and office businesses. A store becomes empty. Trudeau expects a four plex to be built fronting on that street in the middle of a commercial area. It's not a good idea.
If it’s probably repurposed properly it could work.

What you’re slamming is exactly what happens in Europe and Asia, rather than the sprawling cookie-cutter suburbia in the US and Canada.
Possibly people like cookie-cutter suburbia. All the obviously not European-descended folk in the neighbourhoods I've lived in for almost 40 years can't be wrong.

So…why is the CPC blaming Trudeau and the Feds on this? Why isn’t he blaming the provinces?

They could (and do) blame the Feds on the immigration thing. That’s at least valid bc the federal govt has a huge hand in that.

The CPC, etc pushing the LPC into delving specifically into housing is, IMO, a bit of an own goal. They pressed the Feds on it, who said that it was provincial. They continued pressing, which made the LPC change tack and propose funds to work with the provinces or municipalities if the provinces don’t agree. Then the CPC says it’s “no fair” and that it’s a provincial jurisdiction.

All of this wouldn’t have started if the CPC didn’t bring it up to score political hits.

Why not? If housing is created in an area that you can actually gasp walk to the store for groceries or to a restaurant rather than having to drive, how is that a bad thing?

We don't live in Europe or Asia.

You want housing in commercial/ retail spaces? Be prepared to pay commercial/ retail prices for it.

From what I’ve seen it has been focused on the factors that are absolutely under control of the Federal Government: capacity/demand-straining immigration, extreme intake of million+ foreign students who disappear into society, and inflation (significantly influenced by debt and bond-driven devaluation).

COC housing-specific policy more than half a year ago covered many of the issue to systemically improve and incentivize supply (which would also be augmented by the higher-order improvement that would arise from correcting excessive public service growth and deficit/debt growth and reduce inflationary pressure from money devaluation.

I’m personally willing to give the Cons an opportunity to start improving Canadians lot in life. If they don’t measurably address things post-election, then they’ll go on the ramp for replacement in 2029.

If housing is created in an area that you can actually gasp walk to the store for groceries or to a restaurant rather than having to drive, how is that a bad thing?

On the other hand, some might prefer a place like Square One, "the largest shopping centre in Ontario and the second largest shopping centre in Canada".

The Walmart alone is "Walmart Canada's largest store."

A lot of condos in the area. And more going up. All look to be within a 5-minute walk.

If you prefer to leave the car at home, it is served by an incredible number of GO Transit, and local transit, routes.

And an LRT scheduled for completion this year.

It's open on most stat holidays.

I have an EU passport. No desire to live there.

As far as Asia goes, that's a different story.

But, one can always settle for King Square , "It is the largest Asian mall in the east coast of North America." "Canada's largest Asian shopping centre".

One of the many things I liked in Asia are the coin lockers.

Almost impossible to find here after 9/11.

Rather than trying to build future ghetto's, it would be better to invest Federal monies outside of the major centre to make the smaller centres more attractive for people to move there and businesses as well. That means fiberoptics, roads, railway, water, power and sewer upgrades. That is something the Feds can directly support. Those dense cities means that not only do you not have a car, but you don't have a boat, jetski, camper, or any other recreational toy, as thee is no parking. Having just done Spain, those old cities are lovely to visit, but I would never want to live in one.

My parents live kitty corner to Square One. There is no way the LRT will be done in 2024. I’d say 2Q25 at best…probably later.

I was on Hurontario a couple of days ago.

Metrolinx continues to advise that substantial completion remains 2024 contractually.

I will say Q4 2025 to allow Ford to cut the ribbon before 2026 Election with a possibility that that it could be Q1 2026. The current phase is not scheduled to be done until 2025 compared to open this fall.

First thing, housing is provincial jurisdiction. Second I need you to envision a street full of nothing but stores and office businesses. A store becomes empty. Trudeau expects a four plex to be built fronting on that street in the middle of a commercial area. It's not a good idea.

Trudeau has been trying to co-opt health care, housing, school breakfasts, etc and rebranding then as his own. Provinces already have school meal programs, housing and health care. They need that money transferred into their own existing programs. Not duplicate federal initiatives to polish a turd. They don't need Trudeau coming in and gumming up the works with his half baked, intrusive ego trips. Same with the rest. Just so he can claim the whole program as his own. Then he stands up, crowing about how he is helping Canada's most vulnerable. Has anyone you know or yourself attempted to get $10 dental care? The rules make it all but impossible to access it. But sock boy gets his talking point, for the price of millions of dollars. The vast majority of the money he gives out on his lies is mostly to cover administration and not performance. He's stealing and using our money in a massive, misdirected PR campaign. Too bad most Canadians who know him as an untrustworthy, lying, ego seeking hypocrite are having to waste their hard earned taxes to watch him burn it up trying to regain some semblance of popularity.

If you wish to be and back a marxist trudeau government, go ahead. But don't try tell me he's good for the middle class and his plans are going to do a single thing to help Canadians.
Correct me if Im wrong but the Federal government isnt regulating anything here just trying to bribe municipalities to incentivize building.

Back