• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Federal Budget 2016 - Good News for Vets?

Finally, the calculation of the minimum benefit would be amended to be based on a senior private's salary instead of a basic corporal's salary. 

I can see why they changed it, but still seems like it would be a kick to the gonads. How much drop in yearly pay between the two? I recall my Sapper level pay was quite a lot less than my Cpl pay in the end.  If one is injured I don't think the Earnings Loss Benefit would be of much help, especially for someone who is going through recovery and rehab.

As of March 2013:

Private (3) is $4120 a month.
Corporal 5A (0) is $4714 a month.

$596 a month difference.

Interview with the Minister on the pensions and also Jody Mitics view/opinion.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=837734&playlistId=1.2835220&binId=1.810401&playlistPageNum=1&binPageNum=1

Teager said:
Interview with the Minister on the pensions and also Jody Mitics view/opinion.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=837734&playlistId=1.2835220&binId=1.810401&playlistPageNum=1&binPageNum=1

I'm glad I had the fortitude to reload the video and hear Jody Mitic's response. It was excellent. He obviously has a lot more faith in the current Minister and government then I do.

Great interview. Thanks to the reporter that she goes after Herr. He seems to avoid veterans and not updating about anything.
Love the shirt of Jody Mitic: "Spiritual Gangster".
Herr said, we fixed ELB. How?  What about LTD? is SISIP/Manulife part of it or just 'insurance mentality' approach?
VAC number instead of mil service number: dumb idea.
Steak holders?  is legion part of 'them'? They were there in 2006.
Pension: in 4 years they will promise that it is almost, almost done: reelect us and we will implement it.

Jody Mitic: thanks for representing veterans.  I hope he IS part of the 'steak holders'.
Cheers

Stake holder, not steak holder.  Unless a BBQ is involved.

Saw this today made me laugh a bit.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 271
John Tescione said:
Maybe you got stop wearing your blue coloured glasses.

The last Government did Eff all for us, so don't sit there and profess to know what will happen in the future.

Remember, the decade of decay is causing us problems to this day, and has the current government Elbows deep cleaning up that mess, before they can rush anything to appease Veterans.

A $400M reduction in the defence budget right-off-the-hop is a great start!  right?..... guys?

At least the last guys got us the Globemaster, the Leo II, and (eventually) the TAPV (when the VanDoos stop setting the trials on fire)

"decade of decay"?  That's what we're going to call that?  Sigh....

Hi Gents,
'Steak' was intentional.  As one gent on veteranvoice.info  used the idea before me.  Credit owed to him.
I am glad it was noticed.
:)

I enjoyed Jody's comparison of the Vet $60,000 pension verses Duceppe, the one time leader of the separatist party pension of $110,000/120,000.

So a person who fights for Canada and gets severely injured finally gets $60,000 and a jerk who wants Canada to break up gets double.

You trust the Liberals? They will hem and haw until the next election.

Rifleman62 said:
I enjoyed Jody's comparison of the Vet $60,000 pension verses Duceppe, the one time leader of the separatist party pension of $110,000/120,000.

So a person who fights for Canada and gets severely injured finally gets $60,000 and a jerk who wants Canada to break up gets double.

You trust the Liberals? They will hem and haw until the next election.

I agree with you there on the BS of someone who wants to destroy the country getting richly rewarded whereas a true servant of their fellow citizens gets the finger.

Teager said:
Brasidas the math has been done and it works out to be a bit more by like $2000 a year at the Senior Pte's rank...

I'm still curious about this math. A basic Corporal makes more than a senior Private.

The quote from the NVC:

(a) in the case of a veteran whose final release was from the regular force, the greater of the veteran’s monthly military salary at the time of release, adjusted until the benefit is payable, and the monthly military salary for a basic corporal in the standard pay group at the time the benefit is payable; and

The way the budget document words it, they said the minimum benefit is now senior private instead of basic Corporal. That means they've actually made a small cut, in that the minimum benefit will be 90% of pte(3) instead of 90% of Corporal(0). Not going to affect a lot of troops, but considering how Corporal is a mandatory promotion, it's a sneaky little cut that will only effect the very bottom end of the chain of command.

PuckChaser is correct it won't really effect many as VAC calculates your ELB at time of release.

The only issue I see if SISIP follows suit with the 90% is they still calculate LTD for reservists at time of injury. So in my case SISIP is giving me the 75% of a basic Corporal since I was a Pte at time of injury which means if they change I will get 90% Senior Pte pay at 90% but then once I am switched over to VAC ELB they will Calculate me at 90% of Cpl (4) Class C so my pay will increase again. That is if I'm correct in how all this is going to go down.

Back