• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Feb long weekend for Ont.

Remius

Army.ca Fixture
Reaction score
I won't complain.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20070903.wholiday0903/BNStory/National/home

That's one way to garner votes. ::)  But I certainly won't be too upset if it comes about.  ;)

That would put Ontario on par with Saskatchewan, Alberta, British Columbia and the Territories.

Uhh...unless I've been living under a rock for the past 30-odd years, we do not have a February stat holiday in BC.

EDIT TO ADD:

Yup.  Just checked here:

http://www.labour.gov.bc.ca/esb/facshts/stats.htm

No February stat holiday for BC.  This is bad even by Mope and Wail standards.

Ray, I thought something sounded off about that too but I wasn't thinking.  Here are the current provincial holidays.

As for another long weekend, it won't effect me as I work 2 out of 3 weekends regardless of whether there is a holiday or not.  Would be a nice break for the regular working folk though and the kids (not that they don't have enough time off from school as it is!).

Mind you here in Williams Lake, we have a stat holiday not celebrated anywhere else...January 2 is Wrestling Day! 

;D

Edit spelling.

RangerRay said:
Uhh...unless I've been living under a rock for the past 30-odd years, we do not have a February stat holiday in BC.

EDIT TO ADD:

Yup.  Just checked here:

http://www.labour.gov.bc.ca/esb/facshts/stats.htm

No February stat holiday for BC.  This is bad even by Mope and Wail standards.

I think the reference is to the number of holidays not when they are.
BC has 9 : http://www.labour.gov.bc.ca/esb/facshts/stats.htm
Ontario has 8 : http://www.labour.gov.on.ca/english/es/factsheets/fs_public.html

Seems most have the 1st Monday of August as a holiday which seems more desirable to me. A long weekend in what is usually the coldest month of the year with the March break so close seems like a waste.

Won't complain about a holiday ...but "family day"?  I like family as much as the next guy.  Mine in particular.  :) ...but what's wrong with "John Graves Simcoe Day" ...or better yet "Sir Issac Brock Day"!?

This is no more than the other 200 promises that he told during the last election, then promptly broke. He'll promise it and after he wins, he'll say it's not feasible. Put your heads back in the sand, and vote for the lieberals again.

Lie-Libel-Liberal
The evolution of corrupt government.

No Lies=No Liberals

DBA said:
I think the reference is to the number of holidays not when they are.
BC has 9 : http://www.labour.gov.bc.ca/esb/facshts/stats.htm
Ontario has 8 : http://www.labour.gov.on.ca/english/es/factsheets/fs_public.html

Seems most have the 1st Monday of August as a holiday which seems more desirable to me. A long weekend in what is usually the coldest month of the year with the March break so close seems like a waste.

If you look at the link that I put in Reply#3, it adds the Civic Holiday for Ontario which would put Ontario also to 9 days.

It's all in the way you look at it.

Ontario - Rememberance Day and the August civic holiday are not offical holidays, by law.  Most people get them off.  Boxing Day is an official holiday.

BC - Rememberance Day and "BC Day" are official holidays, but Boxing Day is not.

Manitoba - Rememberance Day is not a "holiday" in the statutory holiday sense, but there is a law called the "Rememberance Day Act" that governs what businesses can be open, and that employees get the day off with pay, or get time and a half etc.  But the gov't stops short of calling it a "holiday."  Boxing Day is not a holiday.  (I used to own a small business in MB).
http://www.gov.mb.ca/iedm/invest/busfacts/workforce/stat_hols.html

Also speaking as a former small business owner - nice of the politicians to offer workers another holiday - it's the business owners that pay for it, not the government.  Close for the day = no sales, but employees still get paid.  Or in the case of restaurants, convenience stores, etc, open, but with significantly lower sales, and must pay the employees time and a half (or more in some cases).  The weeks I had to write paycheques that included a stat holiday really hurt!!!!!

My question to the CF will be - if there is another stat in Ontario, how does that affect me - I live in Ontario, work in Quebec.  We already have the August Long weekend/St Jean Baptiste day issue, but it evens out in the end.

recceguy said:
This is no more than the other 200 promises that he told during the last election, then promptly broke. He'll promise it and after he wins, he'll say it's not feasible. Put your heads back in the sand, and vote for the lieberals again.

Lie-Libel-Liberal
The evolution of corrupt government.

No Lies=No Liberals

Let's see how quickly the electorate in Ontario forget all that. ::) I am rapidly losing faith in the average intelligence  :-X of Canadian voters.

2 Cdo said:
Let's see how quickly the electorate in Ontario forget all that. ::) I am rapidly losing faith in the average intelligence  :-X of Canadian voters.

+1.....soon we'll be back to the partys buying people a few drinks to go and vote for them.  :clown:

Perhaps Im the only employer here, but Maginty can go commit an impossible act upon himself if he thinks Im gonna pick up the freight for his BS election promises. Not likely, if he gets elected, its a one year notice that the pays will be cut by 1/250th. Sorry kids but after CPP, UIC, GST, PST, EHT, WSIB,  :crybaby: source deductions, corporate tax fed, corporate tax prov. 8 other stats, then personal tax if theres any left :rage:

Thats helping our manufacturing sector to be competitive, thanks gimpy mcdalton, you jack ass.
I think I snapped

Simon Plant said:
Perhaps Im the only employer here, but Maginty can go commit an impossible act upon himself if he thinks Im gonna pick up the freight for his BS election promises. Not likely, if he gets elected, its a one year notice that the pays will be cut by 1/250th. Sorry kids but after CPP, UIC, GST, PST, EHT, WSIB,  :crybaby: source deductions, corporate tax fed, corporate tax prov. 8 other stats, then personal tax if theres any left :rage:

Thats helping our manufacturing sector to be competitive, thanks gimpy mcdalton, you jack ***.
I think I snapped

good point Simon....no one ever stops to figure out the cost of these pie in the sky promises in actual $. Giving your employees the day off with pay or having to pay them time ana a half to work on a Stat dings the employer in the butt.

There's one promise followed through on....

McGuinty proclaims new holiday

Fresh from election win, Liberals create 'Family Day' set for 3rd Monday in February

Oct 12, 2007 07:44 AM
Robert Benzie
Rob Ferguson
Queen's Park Bureau

Premier Dalton McGuinty celebrated his election victory by giving everyone the day off – in February.

McGuinty, 52, got down to work yesterday by declaring the third Monday in February a new annual "Family Day" statutory holiday.

"This is a small thing, but it's an important and, I think, a powerful recognition of our priorities," a bleary-eyed McGuinty told reporters after a breakfast speech in his hometown of Ottawa.

"There is nothing more valuable to families than time together," said the premier, who is married with four adult children and has nine brothers and sisters.

Promised in the run-up to the election campaign, Ontario's ninth statutory holiday was approved with an order-in-council signed by cabinet yesterday and will be marked next Feb. 18.

Cabinet does not have to meet to approve an order-in-council; the document needs only to have two cabinet signatures.

Beyond the holiday, voters embraced the status quo – just four years after McGuinty implored them to "choose change."

...more on link

Beyond the holiday, voters embraced the status quo – just four years after McGuinty implored them to "choose change."

Wait for it. It won't be long before he's bending those same sheeple over that gave us the 'pig in a poke' for another term. ;)

Hrmphh, as an employer, all I can say is that Mr. Dalton has just decided how most employees next .4% in pay raises just got spent. He has converted .4% of your annual income into a day off. Calculate that .4% (a days pay) and tell me would you rather have the day off or the dough. Well its not your choice any more its been made for you. As with the employee health tax, this is a matter between all employees and thier government, as the employer I will not accept responsibility for an election promise. My employees will enjoy the day off with pay as per the labour standards act however it will be financed via a portion of future pay increases.

BTW I am not an ogre, well not a big one anyway, we have 2 weeks shut down in July, 1 week over xmas, and were working on making the march break a week off as well, as my employee average age has dropped significantly over the last 3 years. We achieve this as follows, the 4% vacation pay covers the 2 weeks in July, we work 44 for 40 in Oct and Nov to cover the 3-4 working days between xmas and new years. I was hoping to set up 44 for 40 in jan feb to cover the 5 days over the march break. Maybe we'll just ignore the feb stat and they cover for only 4 days in march. that way alls good.

This means a first year employee would get 4 weeks off each year, fixed, at very appropriate intervals, jan- march (1 week off) april-July (2 weeks off)
september to december (1 week off).

what happened to the promote demote thingy, I never took the opportunity to smite ^-^

Back