• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Favourite War Movies

Watched 'The Pacific' again last night, awesome series. If I had to choose between Band of Brothers and this one though...I think I would go with BoB. But for those who haven't watched it yet I highly recommend it!

While not exactly a "War Movie"; Barry Lyndon has some superb battle scenes and an informed view of a soldier's life during the period of the Seven years war. Of course, it is a Stanley Kubrick film, which just adds to its luster.

"Gates of Fire" by Steven Pressfield is a fantastic book which was slated to become a movie, they got in a race with "300" and lost (adapting a comic and filming in 100% Green Screen is far faster than a conventional production). Hoping someone will make it some day...

Yes, Gates would have made a fantastic movie.  Better than that POS "300".  Maybe they might make up for it and do the Afghan Campaign instead. 

I still am partial to "All Quiet on the Western Front" black and white version. 

krustyrl said:
I still am partial to "All Quiet on the Western Front" black and white version.
As am I, though the one with "John Boy Walton" was pretty good, too.

A Bridge Too Far is way up on my list, as is The Longest Day (Corneleus Ryan can tell a helluva story), but I've got to go with The Great Escape as number 1.

It was on TV recently and while it may not be a traditional war movie - no battle scenes, no enemy (unless you count "Staff Williams") - The Hill has one of my favourite portrayals of an RSM.

Technoviking said:
As am I, though the one with "John Boy Walton" was pretty good, too.

Yes, that one surprised me in how good it was, once you got beyond still thinking of him as "John Boy".  In some ways it was better from the point of better cameras, colour and modern technology etc.  But the original, has class all of it's own.

Another half decent movie (IMO) although not an action packed, shoot'em up,bombs bursting in air type of movie but more than a true story of survival at sea after being torpedoed.
Film features veteran actors Stacey Keach, Richard Thomas and a young David Caruso.
I will say I enjoyed the movie and how /what survivors battled during the incident.

"Mission of the Shark: The Saga of the U.S.S. Indianapolis (29-Sep-1991) "

Paratrooper (1953)

Also titled The Red Beret

Allan Ladd plays"Canada' a former US Army pilot who was responsible for the death of a friend. Later in the movie his past is disclosed ( a crewman recognizes him) when USAAF C-47's transport the British Paras.

Soapy scenes. To me, an authentic reproduction of early WWII British Para training, operations and equipment. Harry Andrews is very good as the RSM as he payed in The Hill in 1965.

I have been waiting for this movie so I can PVR it.

TCM FULL SYNOPSIS

In an English military training camp in mid-1940, Canadian Steve "Canada" McKendrick begins the grueling regime of training as a parachutist under his new commanding officer, Major Snow. The night before the men's first group jump from a balloon, several men nervously study their training manual and learn that a "Roman candle" is the term used to describe a parachute that fails to open. Canada piques the men's interest by admitting to having witnessed a Roman candle. The following morning a superstitious Canada exchanges his chute with packer Penny Gardner and makes the first jump successfully. Canada then asks Penny for a date, but when she overhears him threaten drill instructor Sgt. Breton, she refuses. The next day the men leave on their first airborne flight, and when none volunteer to be the first one off, Breton cheerfully jumps, only to "Roman candle" as the men watch, horrified. The trainee in command quickly recovers and forces the men to make their jumps. That night, several men toast Breton, but when Corp. Dawes mocks America's Lend-Lease program, Canada instigates a brawl, while Penny watches, dismayed. When brought before Snow, both Dawes and Canada admit to beginning the row and escape punishment. Curious about Canada's barely concealed rage, Snow orders a private investigation into his past. The men continue their training and after several weeks earn their wings. Shortly afterward, Snow hand-picks a group, including Canada, for Operation Pegasus, whose objective is a vital radar site inside Germany. Before take-off, Canada gets his chute from Penny, but is indifferent when she reads him the "Packer's Prayer," a verse reflecting the packer's unique involvement with each operation. On board, Canada finds a small handkerchief tucked into his chute. Upon landing, Dawes breaks both legs, but despite continual enemy fire, the mission is successful and the men are picked up safely by a naval cruiser. Canada visits Dawes at the base infirmary and discovers that both of his legs have been amputated. Canada waves Penny away when she notices his concern and angrily tries to return the handkerchief, which she explains is only a good luck custom. The men choose a red beret as their unit emblem, which becomes part of their uniforms. Snow summons Canada and offers him a commission, which Canada flatly refuses, insisting on remaining a private. Later, the base receives several Dakota airplanes from the U.S., flown by American pilots, one of whom claims to recognize Canada. Penny invites Canada to her parents's home in the country and prods him into revealing his past. He admits to having served as an officer in the U.S. Army as a test pilot. He remains guilt-ridden over the death of his best friend, whom Canada forced to jump from a damaged plane, then watched him "Roman candle." Penny reassures Canada that he did the right thing and encourages him to take the commission offered by Snow, but he again declines. Snow summons Canada and repeats his commission offer, acknowledging that he knows about Canada's past service. Canada turns down the offer and demands a transfer, which Snow denies. Believing Penny has informed Snow, Canada upbraids her, but when she maintains her innocence, they quarrel. With news of the Allied invasion of North Africa, the Red Beret unit is ordered to jump into Tunis to support the landing forces. On the morning of the mission, Canada, still angry, initially rejects Penny's chute, but when he is refused another from the other packer, grudgingly accepts it. Before boarding his craft he finds another handkerchief tucked in the chute and waves a pleased acknowledgment to Penny. The men, now calm and relaxed about jumping, make a successful landing, despite heavy enemy attacks. In the desert, the outfit evades a German tank division and fights its way through a road block only to find themselves in a minefield. Both Snow and the sergeant major are wounded. As a German officer makes a surrender demand, Canada discovers they are carrying a bazooka and ammunition and suggests to Snow that a safe path might be blown through the minefield. Snow orders Canada to take command and lead the men to safety and after some hesitation, Canada proceeds. The segeant major dies before the evacuation is completed, but the unit meets up with the invasion force as planned. Snow presents Canada with the transfer he had requested earlier, but Canada refuses and instead asks for another chance at the officer commission.

Thucydides said:
"Gates of Fire" by Steven Pressfield is a fantastic book which was slated to become a movie, they got in a race with "300" and lost (adapting a comic and filming in 100% Green Screen is far faster than a conventional production). Hoping someone will make it some day...

Gates of Fire is a awesome book and if I remember correctly required reading for parts of the U.S military. 

I hope they do it justice.

favourite movie for me, Saving Pte Ryan is up there but I cant say I just have one favourite

There are far too many really good movies to be able to name one favourite.

I was recently pleased to be able to get a DVD copy of an obscure, early '80's, made-for-TV movie called WWIII.
It stars David Soul, Rock Hudson, Brian Keith. It's about Russian paratroopers landing in Alaska with the intent of disrupting the pipeline. They accidentally run into an Alaska National Guard unit on exercizes.
I enjoyed it way back in the day and had been looking for a copy of it for some time.

Another good, semi-obscure, cold-war movie was The Fourth War with Roy Scheider and Jurgen Prochnow.
(Filmed in Canmore, AB no less!) 

I remember WW3 on TV and the "Buzz-saw defence" scene. Kind of an interesting flick. Later I was reminded of it when I read Slater's books in the WW3 series. Very similar plot lines if I recall correctly.

After reading this, I realized I have some movie watching to do.

Big fan of The Green Berets with John Wayne.

A cold war movie that was not only good, but very scary was Threads.  It came out in 1984, a very scary time indeed (in retrospect for me, anyway). 

Blackadder1916 said:
It was on TV recently and while it may not be a traditional war movie - no battle scenes, no enemy (unless you count "Staff Williams") - The Hill has one of my favourite portrayals of an RSM.

An awesome movie! I watched this the night before I went back to Gagetown for another summer of training. Made me drink a little more on the train ride!

I remember the Hill from years ago, a great movie. My wife and I watched "blackhawk down" and she really enjoyed it. She grew up on the show "Combat" and enjoyed how the movie portrayed the interactions of the charactors. Mind you she was a little miffed when I explained how the Malaysian got stiffed a bit near the end.

Back