• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Favorite Military Film

I only saw  it mentioned once but I'd have to say out of all the films portrayed and discussed in this fourm The Devils Brigade would be my favorite for three reasons: 1. Canadians are portrayed in the movie 2.Canadians are portrayed at least in the starting as far superior to there American counter parts and 3. this ones a bit personal  to me but to all those that have seen the movie you already know what my grandfather looks like. You see in the scene where Rocky gets the crap kicked out of him by the sergeant in the PPCLI, that sergeant looks exactly like my grandpa during the war years. Glasses frames included. All though the movie isn't completely historically accurate and the part when they take the town in Italy without firing a shot is a little exaddgerated, the movie has the best bar fight and happy, druken disorderness scenes of any war movie. Also I think or our this movie should be shown in schools to show students were not Americans in the way we march, call drill commands and in uniforms. It really erks me when I'm in uniform and some dumb civilian tries to salute me with there hand in the middle of there forehead with that tell tale American 45 degree slant to there hand and says "atten hut, about face and hut 2,3,4".

I remeber watching the first part of that on the history channel.  I really like Peacock (the Canadian with the big orange moustache).  They had seven docs for seven films and one of the movies was The Devils Brigade so they also had a documentary on the First Special Service Force.  I read a really good book called the Black Devils Brigade and so I decided to tape the doc and the movie.  Everything was going fine so I decided to go to bed.  Turns out the tape ran out no more than 2 minutes after I left.  But does anyone know where I can get it?  I tried a couple of movie stores but none of them had heard of it.  I'd try the history channel but I don't have cable (I saw this at a relatives).  Any suggestions?

"The Devil's Brigade" was typical of the times. I enjoyed the "bonding" between the Canucks and the Yanks when they took on the lumberjacks in the '60s era bar (complete w/ velvet paintings and mini-dresses). The competition was interesting, but stereotypical. Notice how they had the "best" of the Canadian army arrive (in kilts while playing the pipes, love the little french guy in a kilt) to coordinate with the "worst" that the Yanks had to offer (criminals and hard luck cases). The message being that our worst can compete with your best? Heart warming.

Go out, grab a book on the subject and read about how the brigade was actually formed; the details are interesting with many parallels to our current situations of today.

I enjoy some good escapist entertainment, but researching the details on your own can be rewarding also.

There's an old Steve McQueen movie called The Sand Pebble that I really like. It's about a US gunboat in the Yangtzee in the 1920's.

How about Brave Hart? I know it supposed to take place in the time before gun powder but still....

you guys already hit the big ones... saving private ryan, BoB, FMJ, the thin red line (which i used the fast forward button alot), hamburger hill, a bridge too far (just bought that last week, excellent)

no one has mentioned Cross Of Iron... german standpoint, following a german squad through its lifetime. i quite liked it.

Hmmm, Cross of Iron.  I like the naked Red Army chicks.

How about:

Too Late the Hero (Michael Caine, Cliff Robertson) excellent story of Brits in SE Asia
The Odd Angry Shot
The Lighthorsemen
The Wind and the Lion (why can't all Arabs be like Sean Connery?)
84 Charlie Mopic
FMJ
The Siege of Firebase Glory (kinda hokey)
The Sand Pebbles
The Peacekeepers (BBC miniseries)
Guns at Batasi (obscure but excellent British b&w)

...help me here...Sean Connery in the brig ca British African colony.....

The Man Who Would Be King
Das Boot

oh, there was another decent one I rented before... simply because there were no other 'war' looking movies left I hadnt seen in the store.

i dont remember the name, it was about this young soldier who is fighting for the serbs or some other (my history isnt that great in this region) and ends up being stuck in a few bad situations, such as being booby-trapped by an enemy soldier.

they have u.n forces trying to save the soldier, and some good scenes.

if anyone else can remember the name, ,maybe?

You wouldn't be talking about Saviour, would you? (Dennis Quiad) - Saw that one in Kosovo, the interpreters had their own spin on the events

That sounds vaguely about No Man's Land, but it focussed on 3 soldiers, 2 croats and a serb, stuck in a trench.

...help me here...Sean Connery in the brig ca British African colony.....

I think you are referring to The Hill

man what happened to all the good movies..no one mentioned them..lol
my old time favs are:\\
-zulu
-guns of navaron
-the great escape (and all mcqeen movies)
-a bridge to far
-the devils brigade
-where eagles dare

the not soo oldies i like are:
-platoon
-full metal jacket ( i love sgt.hartman...oh yeah pte. pile too..although i wanted to kick his bum thru the whole movie....till he killed himself..weak elements)yeah yeah i know the draft was in effect...dont lecture me
-apocalypse now
-redux ...eeeeaaahhh maybe

the newer ones:
-thin red line
-saving pte ryan
-we were soldiers
-black hawk down
-tora tora tora  never liked pearl harbor....although i feel sry for them but ..the japanese were ingenious and brave...so their bleeding heart propaganda didnt work on me...anyone remember hiroshima and nagasaki...lol always seem to deviate from the topic

mini series:
band of brothers that show kick a--
sharpe

;Djust to deviate from the point again...mark my words..and give it a few years
IRAQ OR
OPERATION DESERT STORM
or some other corny movies to serve their bleeding heart cause...lol im a shzte stirrer
BUT notice that the 3 most powerful men in the white house are BUSH,DICK, AND COLON... strange hmmmmmm..i was just thinking.

-

PARAMEDIC have you checked all 6 pages of this thread to see if any of the movies you mentioned that were not listed you will find that most are.

Anyone saw this miniserie, I think it's in Bosnia, there's a french guy that I can't remember the name, I think it was filmed in french..  yet again, not sure..  I saw a couple of episode (out of 4-5 I believe) about 5-10 years ago..  I know, it's not very precise, that's all I remember..  :-\

PARAMEDIC said:
notice that the 3 most powerful men in the white house are BUSH,DICK, AND COLON... strange hmmmmmm..i was just thinking.

LOL, i must say that, that one is pretty funny. But the rest...no comment :-\

that was probably it kirkpatrick... i just went in general terms as far as the movie was concerned :p

i can only remember bits of it... the blue UN helmets, the trench scene with the booby trap, wandering around in the woods trying to find their lines....

I remember the Yugoslavian-theme movie.   A Serb and a Bosnian share a trench in no-man's?   Pretty cool ending:   Nobody Wins.  

Anybody know about The One That Got Away?   I guess it was another take on "McNab"'s (somewhat discredited) B20 story.   I heard that the protagonist wrote a book and BBC made a movie.   Those guys in Bravo Two Zero seemed awfully, um, svelte, for SAS troopers.   Awful casting.   The SAS former RSM's book (Into the Storm)pretty much ripped both stories to shreds, anyhow.

There's three Yugoslav-theme movies I've seen:   the aforementioned; Dennis Quaid and some Scandinavian; in which Quaid is an American spook gone rogue mercenary who saves a mom and her kid - to no good end.

The third is Linus Roache and Vincent Martinez as ethnically-different former shooting teammates/snipers who wind up dueling.   Not bad.   I'm glad that French guy Martinez gets blasted.   He's way too pretty.

mine band of brothers(not a film i know)but hey if u want a film saving private ryan..........................just love the cinematics in them worst mil related film i have ever seen g.i.jane the shot up at the end total kack......................apart from demi doing 50 in the gym .............yummy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol

What the hell is wrong with you Forrester? As a Cpl people would expect you to be literate, your posts are painful to read and extremly annoying. Try english (or french) next time you attempy to communicate something.

Back