• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Favorite Military Film

Where did you pick up Bravo Two Zero, all I have is a recorded version off of A&E.  So many commercials and voiceovers.  I liked The Thin Red Line, I love it when the soldiers are attacking the Japanese Village and there aren't sound effects, just music, it gives me goosebumps.  Im always a sucker for Major Payne, non-stop laughs.  There was a cheesy one starring R. Lee Ermey called seige at Firebase Gloria.  Bad acting, its based off the battle at Khe Sanh.  Dirty Dozen was another good one.  Tears of the sun was crap, but I mention it because its the only "army" movie my girlfriend is into besides "GI JANE".  Which is also crap.  Dieppe was good.  Always enjoyed The Longest Day and The Bridge on the River Kwai.

I picked up my copy of B2Z at HMV, bargain bin for $9.99. As Bossi said plenty of deals in DVDs out there. I picked up A Bridge Too Far for under $10.00 too. Just saw the original Alamo for 8-9 bucks at Rogers today at lunch. Will probably grab it later this week.

Re whoever asked about Hamburger Hill. I'm not sure if it's available on DVD yet but it is in VHS ( I have a copy). A very well doen movie that was overshadowed by Platoon. Much better all around and no Oliver Stone preaching.

Hamburger Hill is available on DVD, I bought it 6 months ago for about 15$ at Walmart if I recall correclty...

Here's the list of all time off the top of my head favs:
Band of Brothers (rediculous price, but its in my dvd library nonetheless)
Platoon
Thin REd Line
Full Metal Jacket
Glory
We Were Soldiers
Black Hawk Down
The  Hunt for Red October
Crimson Tide

and some movie i can't quite recall, pure hollywood, err... something Sun... red sun, Rising Sun... completely eludes me...oh, and the TV series 'Tour of Duty' was entertaining... but built for tv so =/

hey, is there a reason nobody likes Saving Private Ryan... i thought it was definetly cornerstone in military movies

Q.Y. RANG said:
My faves are;
-Major Payne
-We Were Soldiers
-Full Metal Jacket
-Good Morning Vietnam
-Saving Private Ryan
and many others

lol too many to think of

:cdn:

yeah i really liked good morning vietnam... i really liked how they incorporated real footage

This is one of my favourites, I'm sure that the armoured guys can pick it apart (US tank commands in a Soviet tank eh) but 1988s "The Beast"

http://imdb.com/title/tt0094716/

Surprised that this is the first mention. It's a take on Soviet armoured operations in Afghanistan in the 80s; follows one crew in particular through the Soviets version of Vietnam. It's good enough to purchase, so I did.

I think I saw that in French at one point... I had to stay up late one night, and had the option between a terrible local station, CBC english, and CBC French.

I didn't understand what was going on, but it was better then whatever was on the other two channels.

My b/f picked up Band Of Brothers while on leave in Thailand. Since he doesn't need it for a while I took it home with me and find I can't pull myself away from it. I'm going onto part 5 now and find I sit on the edge of my seat watching.

also like Black Hawk Down, started reading the book but lent it to the man to read again  8)

B of B is a good series, and the book is even better. I rate both a 10/10.

Cheers,

Wes

I'd love to read the book, I'm sure it's at Chapters I'll have to pick it up :)

As for movies, I'd recommend "Full Metal Jacket", it depicts the cruel hard cold reality of basic training camp and how brutal it can be along with actual war. It's deep I think.  :gunner:
For books, I suggest "Jar Head" by Anothony Swifford, he was a Scout/Sniper in the first Iraq war and gives his take. It's political and from his view directly but an interesting read. Another book is "Blood Red Snow". Can't remember the author. Written by a german heavy machine gun infanteer in WW2. This book shows you what it was like for thier side as well. War is hell, so hell hit both sides although they started it! It kinda shows you that well, hey, people are people and we all suffer in war.

Oh, we cannot forget "Canadian Bacon"!!! Classic hillarious movie! That's some irony for ya!

:cdn:

Chapters?

Is that some kind of a shop? Anyways since the BofB has died down now, try a used book shop. Here you can pick it up 2nd hand paperback for about $5.

Cheers from a cool winter day here in The Lucky Country,

Wes

I watched Mel Gibson's We Were Soldiers again last night.  Set it 1965 it show the 82nd AB in an air mobile role in the firts large scale battle between US forces and the NVA.  The most poignant line I believe is by the NVA CO at the end -

'It doesn't matter that we have lost.  What is most terrible is that the Americans now think that they can win."

Saw Tigerland yesterday, and Basic today.
Both good movies.

My alltime favorite tho, would probably be FMJ, the first time I saw it, I was like 'WTF?" (I was a kid then)but then I got a little older, and could understand it better.

Stalingrad was an interesting move, mainly because it was filmed from the German point of view, and made by Germans.  I thought it did a good job of showing how hellish the Russian front became as the Russian winter got worse.

Don't rent star ship troopers 2.
I just spent 10 minutes getting sick in the bathroom due to the feeling it left in my stomach.

-First off continously yelling COME ON, LETS GO, COME ON, MOVE IT, COME ON, FOLLOW ME, COME ON YOU CAN DO IT, KEEP MOVING! in a battle sceen doesn't constitute as
good diolouge. It's quite stupid.
-The guns they use sound like air guns, the "flash" at the end of the barrel when they fire looks like someone used a blue penligt.
-The movie blair witch project was probably filmed with a bigger budget. ($30'000 for those of you who didn't know).
-The "hero" if the movie is a spitting image of Richard hatch. The fat gay guy who won survivor.
-Bugs started taking over peoples bodies a la the b rated movies from the 80s (aliens from outer space, the body snatchers, brain bugs, the monsters from outter space).
-For the most part bugs infect a new host through kissing. (Talk about a bad STD) which leads to a few humping sceens with a few boobie shots. (Only reason why i didnt turn the movie off)
-The actors couldnt pass themselves off as MOVIE soldiers if their life depended on it. Children come across as having more backbone then these guys. Theycould have atleast casted people who kinda look like soldiers and act like em. They really undid everything that made the first movie good. These guys looked like a bunch of pansies. Didn't even try to wear their helmets right and their boots looked like something from a michael jackson video.
-The message richard hatch and the mobile infantry recruiting people send out about the army is horrible. Officers are all useless and all they do is tell grunts where to die. Great message to send out?  People only see the grunts as cannon fodder, their only job is to be meat for the grinder.

I'd keep going but it'll make me sick again, what the fuck is wrong with people making movies now? Why is it when someone comes out with a GOOD movie some asshole turns around and says hey maybe i can get rich by making a shitty sequel.

It is a shame about sequels.  The same is with movie franchise video games.  Enter The Matrix for one.  That's a top seller though the general consensus is it sucks.  I can't even think of any war movie sequels (good or otherwise).  Though Bad Boys 2 was an excellent cop sequel.  That movie is amazing.

Favourite movies of all time

Band of Brothers, Saving Pte Ryan, The Odd Angry Shot, A Bridge too Far, We Were Soldiers, Enemy at the Gates, Blackhawk Down, and Gettysburg.

band of brothers is the best, i am on my second time watching it right now, and as for reading it, I'm not sure i will do that as i am not much of a reader? does XXL mag count, lol (rap magazine in case you didn't know)

Back