• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Favorite Issued Kit

When I was serving an enthusiastic shooter advised me that there were different butt lengths on the FN C1: S, M & L.
According to him changing the butt length on the rifle made all the difference when it came to recoil.
Has anyone else heard of this?

When I was serving an enthusiastic shooter advised me that there were different butt lengths on the FN C1: S, M & L.
According to him changing the butt length on the rifle made all the difference when it came to recoil.
It was and is true.

If your rifle was sized correctly to you, it made a world of difference.

That's 1951 pattern.

I wore it and drank from those canteens from 1965 to 1969 but have no pictures for proof.

Can we start in on wool battle dress and Field Service Olive Drab with Bush Jackets now?

:giggle:
I can go there. The weights and puttees, lanyard and belt.......... Got my whole set of 51 pattern in the attic.
:)

I should have used a normal, but preferred a small. The stock came in short, normal, long and X-long. I never had a problem, but I'm a recoil junky anyway.

Last edited:

My favourite for shooting, however for carrying (a medic in an arms unit does a lot more carrying of his wpn and doesn't expect to do much shooting) I preferred the SMG. While the FN was a reliable rifle, it was also the only one that broke on me while shooting. During phase training in Gagetown while doing a jungle lane, I had a stoppage, went through the IAs, but it wouldn't clear. The breech block carrier was jammed to the rear. It had jumped out of the channel and was frozen in place. Couldn't open the wpn because the rat tail was into the stock. Had to turn it in and get a new rifle. The Wpn Tech who looked at it said "that can't happen" , my response was "well it f***ing did".

I can go there. The weights and puttees, lanyard and belt.......... Got my whole set of 51 pattern in the attic.
:)
I turned all mine in when I went RegF ... but ... I do still have the small pack. It is just too useful. Oh yeah. Still have my white lanyard and FSOD armlet. - Ha! - and the BGen slip on they gave me when I commanded the brigade doing the guard during the final exercise on the Army Command and Staff Course. I'm generally not a "collector" but there are a few guilty pleasures still hanging around. - like that crew suit.

:LOL:

It wasn't, but I loved that rifle. Consistently shot 2 inch groupings at 200 metres. I struggled to replicate that with the C7.
I loved shooting it too, Weinie, but never humped it as my primary MOSID. For my ilk, anything beyond 50-75m means I shouldn’t be shooting (E&E’ing instead), so a C7 (actual C8) is fine for what it would be expected to do. 👍🏼

I loved shooting it too, Weinie, but never humped it as my primary MOSID. For my ilk, anything beyond 50-75m means I shouldn’t be shooting (E&E’ing instead), so a C7 (actual C8) is fine for what it would be expected to do. 👍🏼
You young'uns.

Should have said ‘actually’, in the sense that I’ve used/been issued a C8 more often than a C7.

It was and is true.

If your rifle was sized correctly to you, it made a world of difference.
Failing that, a Field Dressing gun taped to the stock worked well too.

When I did my SAC in 1988 my rifle was an XL butt, for 18yr old me who was 120lbs and 5’ 5” ish tall — first few days where very unpleasant, but solved with the field dressing, and the swelling eventually went away.

Back