• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Fallen Comrades (retired members)

Thanks. At my age losing old friends is to be expected; it doesn't make it easier; it's a reminder that my time is running out, too ... like everyone's.

Kenan Thompson Nbc GIF by Saturday Night Live

Just heard Lt(N) Terry Meloche Passed recently. No details.

Maj (retired) Walt Conrad, passed away a week ago. He served 1949-1969, including deployments to Korea and Cyprus. We met at Ottawa's Orpheus Musical Theatre Society in the early 2000s. He was a gentleman, and a delightfully fun man, all around.

BGen (Retd) Ovas Wagg, former Commanding Officer of the Calgary Highlanders and former Commander South Alberta Militia District and Prairie Militia Area has passed away. More details are available Ovas Wagg Obituary.
I remember him. He commanded Mil Area Prairie while I was RSSO at 26th Fd Regt. Things ran fairly well in those days.

🍻

Major George Swan, CD
My friend George Swan passed on 25 Feb 2022. George was a reservist who served with the Lorne Scots, 11th Field RCA (he was infantry) and the RHFC. George wasn't a dynamic or charismatic leader, he didn't make anyone tremble in their boots. In civilian life he was a teacher and his leadership reflected the same careful planning he displayed in that role. He achieved his objectives, the troops were fed and got everyone home safely. And he managed to do that without making anyone hate him. George retired from the military in the early nineties. He was diagnosed with Lewy-Body Dementia in 2010 and I watched as that damned disease stole his mobility and his health but never his dignity. For the last few years I visited him every month. We'd watch old war movies and trade stories about our time in the Militia. I'll miss him.

Major George Swan, CD
My friend George Swan passed on 25 Feb 2022. George was a reservist who served with the Lorne Scots, 11th Field RCA (he was infantry) and the RHFC. George wasn't a dynamic or charismatic leader, he didn't make anyone tremble in their boots. In civilian life he was a teacher and his leadership reflected the same careful planning he displayed in that role. He achieved his objectives, the troops were fed and got everyone home safely. And he managed to do that without making anyone hate him. George retired from the military in the early nineties. He was diagnosed with Lewy-Body Dementia in 2010 and I watched as that damned disease stole his mobility and his health but never his dignity. For the last few years I visited him every month. We'd watch old war movies and trade stories about our time in the Militia. I'll miss him.

When was he in the HFofC?

MC

This is as good a place as any if anyone knew Edward Davidson, servrd in the RCN, he was unfortunately the victim of a random attack and was stabbed to death this past week.

Remembering CWO Chris LaSalle, ex Reg F, former RSM of 33 CER in Ottawa, who passed away yesterday after a long struggle with cancer. His wife posted to his Facebook page:

Farewell Chris
Former RSM of 33CER passed at 15:10 this afternoon. I was with him all the time. The last two years have been really hard on him, but the last month was too much. He left us peacefully within a few hours telling me that he was ready to go.

Chris didn’t want any ceremonies of any sort. However, you can Celebrate his life as you see fit.

I am not on Facebook and I will not monitor this account.

Even if he was not a spiritual or religious person, he always kept 4CER Prayer in his wallet.

ALMIGHTY GOD. WE PRAY THEE TO BLESS THE CANADIAN MILITARY ENGINEERS. MAY OUR BRIDGES ALWAYS STAND AND OUR CHANCES NEVER FAIL. OUR MEN BE EVER LOYAL, AND OUR OFFICERS WORTHY OF THEIR LOYALTY. MAY WE WORK DILIGNETLY IN ALL OUR PURPOSES AND BE SKILLED IN OUR TRADES; GOOD SOLDIERS FOR QUEEN (KING) AND COUNTRY EVERYWHERE. AMEN

Farwell my beloved,
Dominique

Very sad to learn that my old chum Colonel (ret'd) Jerry Thompson, late of the Canadian Guards, Canadian Airborne Regiment and The Royal Canadian Regiment passed away at age 81. Jerry was the very epitome of an officer and a gentleman.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-01-15 at 06.27.36.png
    Screenshot 2023-01-15 at 06.27.36.png
    460.9 KB · Views: 5
Back