• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

F-35 Joint Strike Fighter (JSF)

TransCanada files $15 billion NFTA claim over Keystone, turns the tables a bit considering LM could do the same to us over the F-35 and I do think it should be used to try and change JT's mind, even if the chances are slim.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/industry-news/energy-and-resources/transcanada-files-15-billion-nafta-claim-over-us-rejection-of-keystone-pipeline/article30619844/

At AvWeek: Raptor vs Lightning II (lots of tech):

Comparing F-22, F-35 Cost And Capability
Congress has ordered the U.S. Air Force to examine producing more F-22s. Is it worth it?

F-FIFTHGEN_table.jpg

http://demo2.aviationweek.com/defense/comparing-f-22-f-35-cost-and-capability

Lots more tech:

Measuring Stealth Technology's Performance
How low-observable technology enhances aircraft survivability

F-Stealth_diagram1.jpg

F-Stealth_diagram2.jpg

http://demo2.aviationweek.com/defense/measuring-stealth-technologys-performance

Mark
Otawa

I don't know bombs and missiles, but those graphics tell me that an F-35 can get about 250 km closer to a target (or, more importantly, to the release point to drop a bomb) than an F-18 without being picked up by systems that can blow it out of the sky.

Infanteer said:
I don't know bombs and missiles, but those graphics tell me that an F-35 can get about 250 km closer to a target (or, more importantly, to the release point to drop a bomb) than an F-18 without being picked up by systems that can blow it out of the sky.
Then to what extent are the Growlers an equalizer? I really don't know and am still hoping we get some F-35's.

JSM                    Range > 290 km

SDB 1 - GBU-39  Range >110 km
SDB 2 - GBU-53  Range > 72 km

AIM-120 C-5      Range > 105 km
AIM-120 D (C-8) Range > 160 km

Wiki data

More on the aforementioned 8:0 F35A vs F15E kill ratio:

Aviationist

F-15E Strike Eagles unable to shoot down the F-35s in 8 dogfights during simulated deployment
Jun 27 2016
By David Cenciotti
“0 losses in 8 dogfights against F-15E Red Air”

The U.S. Air Force F-35A fleet continues to work to declare the Lightning II IOC (initial operational capability) scheduled in the August – December timeframe.

Among the activities carried out in the past weeks, a simulated deployment provided important feedbacks about the goal of demonstrating the F-35’s ability to “penetrate areas with developed air defenses, provide close air support to ground troops and be readily deployable to conflict theaters.”

Seven F-35s deployed from Hill Air Force Base, Utah, to  Mountain Home AFB, Idaho, to carry out a series of operational tests which involved local-based 4th Generation F-15E Strike Eagles belonging to the 366th Fighter Wing.

(...SNIPPED)

More F-35 Delays???

http://www.businessinsider.com.au/f-35-ejection-seat-woes-2016-6

Bearpaw

Bearpaw said:
More F-35 Delays???

Bearpaw

Easily mitigated by having larger pilots or getting the smaller ones to hit the weights and stop that running nonsense.  ;)

This brings to mind the scenario where USAF F35As in a future war meet Chinese PLAAF J31s, and whether the Chinese knockoffs will measure up?

Defense One

Air Force Officers Give New Details for F-35 in War With China
    By Marcus Weisgerber
June 30, 2016

For the first time, key officers lay out how they’d deploy the stealth F-35 and F-22 in an all-out war with China.

U.S. Air Force officials for the first time said publicly how they’re planning to use the F-35 Joint Strike Fighter in a war with China.

The bottom line: a lot needs to change in the way the Air Force uses its warplanes in battle. 

(...SNIPPED)

Bearpaw said:
More F-35 Delays???

Bearpaw

Where's the article about the CF-18's 140 lbs weight limit?  Oh wait....

PuckChaser said:
Same seat model?

Different.  But what matters is the weight limit imposed by ejection seats.  With time, I am sure those obstacle will be overcome.

To add to the discussion, here's what was said of some aircraft:

"Accusations of shoddy accounting, poor design, ever-increasing costs, and questionable performance nearly kept this aircraft from reaching operational status and have put further acquisitions on slippery footing."

I'll let people guess before I let you know what aircraft this quote was describing, back when this aircraft was in the same position the F-35 finds itself now.

I'll guess the F-18?  Maybe the A-10?  Find me a new program that doesn't have a hockey sock of critics saying it'll never work.  If the US Army cancelled projects based off of intense criticism that the project was a bust, they wouldn't have the M1 Abrams, the M2/M3 Bradley or the AH64 Apache.

Infanteer said:
I'll guess the F-18?  Maybe the A-10?  Find me a new program that doesn't have a hockey sock of critics saying it'll never work.  If the US Army cancelled projects based off of intense criticism that the project was a bust, they wouldn't have the M1 Abrams, the M2/M3 Bradley or the AH64 Apache.

IIRC it was the F-18 during development.

Cheers
Larry

This was actually what the GAO said of the C-17 in 1992.  It turned out to be one of the most successful strategic transport aircraft in the world. 

SupersonicMax said:
Where's the article about the CF-18's 140 lbs weight limit?  Oh wait....

140lbs pilots? jeez hit the gym and eat something.

So, if we adopt the C-17 as the model: then for the F-35 Canada should wait until the development is complete, a firm-fixed price can be negotiated, we'll buy near the end of the production line, and the only Canadianization with be the roundel.

Anybody know where to find useful data on how the fleet flying hours of the Hornets have been utilized to date:

ie

In 1983 there were 138 aircraft with a planned life of 7000 flying hours each (which, if I understand correctly, required an upgrade programme to enable the aircraft to reach that original objective).

138 aircraft with 7000 hours resulted in fleet capable of supplying just about 1,000,000 flying hours (966,000).

Since they were introduced into service how many of the consumed hours to day have been used for:

Training
Supporting CF Training
Support of OGDs
Norad
NATO
UN
Active sorties engaging targets with live ammunition.

How many flying hours are left?

Probably protected information. Number of hours left on each airframe would show capabilities and limitations for NORAD, and operational capabilities and limitations tend to be classified. You might find some ballpark numbers out there, but not firm figures.

Back