• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Explosions in Toronto

I and my family are lucky to be alive, so all of you making fun of and joking about the 'propane ban' I find in extremely poor taste. I have never been so terrified in all my life.  My hands are still shaking and we litterally ran out with the clothes on our backs. My husband only in his underwear and no shoes.  I am still in my pj's, so why don't you save your snide remarks and wait to hear that everyone is safe.

This is not a dig, nor a slam, nor a retort; but all that being said, why would you take time to post on Army.ca? I'm not trying to diminish what your family is going through - it really does seem odd. I do hope things get back on track for you and your family ASAP.

On an "official" note, I think people were poking fun at Toronto's policies. I doubt very much that anyone meant to demean or belittle the victims, nor make fun of their plight. There are probably hundreds of threads on this site, if not thousands, where someone poked fun at a situation involving something "not fun" for the people involved.

CP24 is now reporting a Firefighter is VSA.........damn.

ENGINEERS WIFE said:
Having been about 300-400m from the blast, living in Stanley Green Park.  I and my family are lucky to be alive, so all of you making fun of and joking about the 'propane ban' I find in extremely poor taste. I have never been so terrified in all my life.  My hands are still shaking and we litterally ran out with the clothes on our backs. My husband only in his underwear and no shoes.  I am still in my pj's, so why don't you save your snide remarks and wait to hear that everyone is safe. 
If it was you that was there, you would find NO humour in it.
Hope you have a better day than I have had.
Thank you all, Robin

I will refrain from making any comments on your post beyond saying that i am glad that you and your family are ok.

I was up when the explosion occurred, around quarter to four in the morning, heard the sound. Heads will roll at that company.

Massive fire at Toronto propane depot forces thousands to flee
Toronto firefighter may be casualty, taken from scene without vital signs

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2008/08/10/propane-fire.html

I have been up since 4 am this morning, cannot sleep. I have lots of time on my hands, that's why I thought I would check out army.ca.  I will admit that I'm more sensitive than usual because of the circumstances.  But, I found some of the posts upsetting.  What can I say?  I can appreciate making light of some of Toronto's strange/stupid policies.  This has hit too close to home for me, and right now I cannot find the humour in it.  Although I'm sure I will in the not too distant future.  
It still seems very surreal going through it and then watching the explosion on TV is hard to wrap my brain around.
And I thank you for the well wishes and that my family is safe.
Robin

It was confirmed a few minutes ago that 1 Toronto Fire Fighter was found by colleagues with vital signs absent  at the scene of the Gas Explosion and was pronunced at hospital.

The cause of death is not yet known and names have not been released pending notification of family.

Source: Television News Conference via TFD spokesperson.

My thoughts go out to his/her family, friends, and colleagues.

God Bless, Engineers Wife.

I also worry because I have a cousin who is a Frefighter in Toronto--in North York--last time I checked.

Glad to hear you and your family are okay.

I read that they won't open the 401 until the evacuation order is lifted. Hopefully someone has the stones to make the call to shut TO down tomorrow....

Good call Bruce, Well see.

I know a lot of people are staying up at the cottage or making other plans. Obviously we need to keep the TSX and other things open but it would be nice to see some places like Retail stores and non-essentials shut. TPS closed Yorkdale Mall earlier today for just this reason I heard.

Bruce Monkhouse said:
I read that they won't open the 401 until the evacuation order is lifted. Hopefully someone has the stones to make the call to shut TO down tomorrow....

The 401 is open now in both directions. I just drove home along it from the 400 to the DVP. There are still some off-ramps closed, including the Allen, but it looks like things are getting back to normal here in the big smoke. (Insofar as things are normal here in Toronto.)

Sympathies to the family of the firefighter who fell today...  :salute:

My question is. Why would they allow a facility like this to be built so close to a residential area? "DUH"! From what I gather the facility is huge. I think some heads are going to roll over this one. It looks just like downtown Bagdad when the americans started their "shock and awe" bombing campaign in 2003.

http://www.photojunkie.ca/archive/2008/08/north-york-explosion-wakes-up-half-the-city/.

Heres a link to the CBC news site and the story on the firefighter that lost his life, "RIP".

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2008/08/10/propane-fire.html

Why would they allow a facility like this to be built so close to a residential area?

I don't know about Toronto, but in my city the industrial facilities used to be way out in the boondocks - and the residential areas expanded out to them.

How the plant was there:

http://www.torontosun.com/News/TorontoAndGTA/2008/08/11/pf-6410276.html

Plant OK'd under old law
History of approvals for site predates megacity: Miller

By LOUIS TAM, SUN MEDIA

Old city bylaws allowed a propane plant to be built in the Keele St.-Wilson Ave. area, Mayor David Miller says.

Speaking via teleconference from Vancouver, Miller told reporters that a propane depot that exploded early yesterday was built according to zoning bylaws that were established before the city was amalgamated in 1998.

According to the city's website, each of the former six municipalities -- which were merged into the megacity -- operated under their own zoning bylaws.

The blaze, which broke out at the plant owned by Sunrise Propane, forced thousands to evacuate their homes.

"This facility was allowed under zoning (bylaws) that have been there for well over a decade -- I suspect, for a very long time," Miller said.

Acting Deputy Mayor Shelley Carroll said the facility first got approval to store propane in 2006, but the revelation of any further details on the depot's history would have to wait until the blaze was extinguished.

"There are details (yet) to wait to come in, like how the site was approved ... we don't know if they were over the capacity they were zoned for." Carroll said.

"It will, of course, have to be investigated, but that will have to come after we're sure everyone is safe and there's no more danger in the area."

Some of the evacuees were less than thrilled with the plant's proximity to their homes.

"I've been expecting something to happen there for years and years," Merv Mostoway, 73, said. "That's the stupidest stuff to put that in a residential area."

Miller said regulations governing Sunrise Propane were set and "monitored very closely by the province."

While further investigations will be done in the coming days, he said the immediate priority was public safety.

"My concern today is the safety of Torontonians who live in the vicinity and the safety of our emergency service workers and the workers at the propane facility," he said.

No one at city hall knows: "how the site was approved ... we don't know if they were over the capacity they were zoned for"

What is the thing that flies off the the left of the screen in the film? Debris? It looks like a white light.

I take that back.. the first time I watched the video I thought I saw a small light speck take an upward almost horizontal movement from the plume, but havn't seen it on subsequent times watching. I guess it was just my imagination.

Ah it is at about 3 seconds... really high up in the plume.

The plume deforms - is that digital distortion or something actually flying out of the plume?

Really fast and horozontal not an arc would be - not \

There was a projectile that flew out of the area and from the looks of the light trail atleast a kilometre away before it leaves the screen. There we're several explosions showing tons of debris above the building that can be seen in the several of the you tube clips.

Youtube has several clips that not only show the visual scene but capture the sounds and violence of the explosions.

this clip is the one of the best of the big blast, although i caution anyone clicking on it for harsh language.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYijTFaxmow

The paper reminded me today that this is the first anniversary of the Sunrise Propane explosion.
Regarding TFS District Chief who died at the scene.
I wasn't at the scene, but I knew Bob Leek and wonder if some other readers also did. He wore his jump wings with pride. He told me he had served in 3RCR. He enjoyed talking about his time in the CF. It was good to have known him, because he was a "good guy". RIP.

mariomike said:
The paper reminded me today that this is the first anniversary of the Sunrise Propane explosion.
Regarding TFS District Chief who died at the scene.
I wasn't at the scene, but I knew Bob Leek and wonder if some other readers also did. He wore his jump wings with pride. He told me he had served in 3RCR. He enjoyed talking about his time in the CF. It was good to have known him, because he was a "good guy". RIP.
Bob was also a Sgt. in the 48th Highlanders.  I did not know him, but a group of the senior members attended his funeral.

dileas

tess

Back