• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Expansion of Army reserves put on hold

I was referring to your comment that "they will be pouring more cash in soon enough". I too am a reservist and agree with the points you made in your last post, but that has nothing to do with your quote of pouring more cash in soon enough. I would love it, but haven't seen anything in this office that indicates that it will happen at any time soon. In fact, the line that is now being repeated is that we now have to wait until the defence review has been completed. How hard do you think the politicians are working on a defence review during the election campaign? And then there's the summer break, and who knows who gets elected back in and if the Liberals do get back into power if the same MPs will have the same portfolios. There are far too many variables at this time to say that money is going to be pouring in.

y2k said:
well put, thats all i gotta say

Stop with the negetive waves, get with the party line, you will go further.

The reserv's will not come out of the mess we are in, but another defence review  would help ..............NOT :boring:

Another reason not to re-elect the Liberals on June 28th, vote conservative and we'll see alot of changes with Canada's military.

Hey I got to this a little late, but I can see both points of view.

That money SHOULD be put into the reserves if it was allocated there.  As a soon to be reservist myself, it sucks the big one to hear nothing but "were freezing money, were taking it away".  It's even worse when they say "here" then take it away at a later date such as the Librals are doing.

However, I do think it is a good idea for the Defence and Foreign Policy review.  Don't you think it's better to have a set plan on paper, somethign to follow and something to work from  instead of just throwing money into old out dated defence policies?

Northern Touch said:
H Don't you think it's better to have a set plan on paper, somethign to follow and something to work from   instead of just throwing money into old out dated defence policies?

If every defence policie we have had, were money for the reservs ,we could blow 1 million on our own sponshership program.

During my OCTP training in the late 1950's I was taught that a reserve force was necessary to provide depth to the standing army. In order to mobilize a credible force, the reserve had to be between three and four times the size of the standing force (regular).

Otherwise, within days, the mobilization base would cease to exist.

Reserves 2000 now estimates that we have so many reservists on full time duty we have already reached Stage 1 mobilization.

What sort of planning is this?  :evil:

I think we can be sure that this is nothing other than a Liberal Bribe leveled at reservists: 'IF we are re-elected, we will put this extra $30M into the reserves, but if you vote for someone else, too bad.'

That's why I want them out, they only want what's best for their party, not what is good for the country.

:gunner: It seems the local voters are about to give the Minister of Defence a taste of the   :skull: he gave the reserves   :DHow dumb do the LIberals think you are?

They obviously think we're really dumb because their election platform regarding the Reserves was already announced in October 2000. They're just rehashing an old announcement. Here's the government policy statement that was announced in October 2000. Sound familiar?:

"GOVERNMENT OF CANADA POLICY STATEMENT
LAND FORCE RESERVE RESTRUCTURE (LFRR)

I would like to take this opportunity to acknowledge and express my appreciation for the many individuals and organizations who have worked so hard to get us to the point where we can move forward in the LFRR process. The late Chief Justice Brian Dickson, Dr Jack Granatstein and Lieutenant-General Charles Belzile (ret'd) began the current process in 1995 with the Special Commission on Reserve Restructure. The Defence Team, particularly the Land Staff, worked thereafter for many years to evaluate the Army Reserve in order to implement the recommendations of the SCRR. The knowledge and experience gained in that exercise have been of invaluable assistance to those doing recent work on the policy and institutional parameters for reserve restructure. The Hon. John A. Fraser and the members of the Minister's Monitoring Committee, D. Bevis Dewar and Dr. David Bercuson, have monitored progress on reserve restructure. At my request, they have also provided me with advice on how to deal with the impasse reached last year in consultations between the Army and the reserve community. Lieutenant-General Mike Jeffery, also at my request, consulted widely in search of common ground among the stakeholders that would provide us with the ability to launch LFRR. These individuals, along with Departmental and Canadian Forces (CF) staff, have wrestled this very complex problem of reserve restructure to the ground. Having reached common ground among stakeholders, I am pleased to re-affirm current Government policy and begin implementation of LFRR.

The Army Reserve is a vital component of Canada's military capability. Indeed, the Defence Mission requires the cooperation of both the Regular and Reserve components of the Canadian Forces. Located in communities throughout Canada, the Army Reserves exist primarily to provide the framework for expansion should the need arise. This is the raison d'être of our Reserve Force, which is characterized by its role as a 'footprint' in communities across the country. Its significant social role of fostering the values of citizenship and public service is one which, as Canadians, we have come to cherish and must protect.

However, Army Reservists also help us to augment our Regular high readiness forces when committed to operations. Since the end of the Cold War, our reliance on these augmentees has increased due to the high tempo of our operational activity. We aim now to have Reservists provide up to 20% of the personnel for these deployments. The Army Reserves are even more prominent in our defence against natural disasters and local emergencies, such as the Saguenay and Red River floods and the Ice Storm of 1998.

The Fraser Report and Lieutenant-General Jeffery's Strategic Plan for LFRR are the key ingredients to the success of this process. The recommendations of the Fraser Report will serve as the Government's blueprint for LFRR, and Lieutenant-General Jeffery's Plan will be the first step in their implementation. This strategic plan provides for fixing some of the problems plaguing the Militia identified in the Fraser Report. It will lay the groundwork for developing future policies to fit the lives of our part-time citizen soldiers. We need them more now than at any time since the Second World War.  They provide the framework for expansion should we require mobilization of forces; for individual and unit augmentation on peace support operations; and, to represent the military footprint in communities across the country. The Strategic Plan, combined with some additional actions I am taking, will ensure that the CF Reserves will continue to be both operationally sound, while contributing to the development of citizenship and to local emergency preparedness.

These actions are taken to clarify public policy as it relates to the Army Reserves and to facilitate the timely and effective implementation of LFRR. Specifically, they include:

· Increasing the number of part-time Army Reservists to at least 18,500 by the end of fiscal year 2005/06;
· Further consideration of national mobilization planning;
· The appointment of a senior official to manage LFRR;
· The appointment of the Hon. John A. Fraser and Major-General Reginald Lewis (ret'd) to monitor LFRR;
· Clarify the authority and role of the Chief of Reserves and Cadets.

These measures demonstrate our commitment to an open and transparent process that will facilitate the participation of the broader reserves community, and the Canadian public, in developing a citizen soldiery ready for the challenges of the 21st century.

Restructure will proceed, and succeed, only with co-operation among the key stakeholders. We have therefore taken a prudent, cautious approach to reserve restructure. As a national institution and a valuable strategic resource serving communities throughout the country, the Militia is synonymous with Canada's proud military heritage. This legacy will remain and be protected as restructuring moves forward. Furthermore, as a matter of public policy, reserve restructure will continue to include the advice and engagement of key stakeholders. These decisions, along with my recent announcement of the expansion of the Canadian Ranger and Junior Canadian Ranger programs, demonstrate the Government's support for our part-time Reservists, and confirms that the CF's presence will continue to be felt across the country."

NMPeters said:
They obviously think we're really dumb because their election platform regarding the Reserves was already announced in October 2000.......

See the CODE WORDS --- Restructure will proceed, and succeed, only with co-operation among the key stakeholders.

Translation ----- Not politically driven

Remainder is like the UK promising to do what it couldn`t do in 1938 with a certain ex- German Corporal..... it only demonstrates that there is a low level of support and noting else...... the rest is DND bafflegab.

Spin Doctors - TEN HUT! FOWARD HARCH!   :salute: :skull: :cdn: :salute: :skull: :cdn: :salute: :skull: :cdn:

I think an objective look at this and the BS that sent the boys off to Hong Kong - might find the same manner of optimisom with little investment which leads here ---------->   :evil:

I was told about a Remembrance Day not that long ago where the troops had gathered at the Mess after the Ceremonies. A visiting member from a Reg Force Unit, who was drunk, was bugging a Veteran who was there as well, about why he had no ribbons, why hadn't he been in longer and on and on. It was getting to the point where a couple of the boys had enough and were going to put a stop to this when the old boy spoke up and clearly.......

"Son, they only called my group when there was a War on." This man was 2NSH(CB)

This does not reflect upon the attitudes of Reg Force members whatsoever, just sums up for me what the traditional role of the Reserves has been. I know it has never been that simple, I just really like the story.

Cheers!

Back