• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

excess saliva while running

nd.07

Inactive
Reaction score
Hey,

I've been working out more and more, because i hope to join the Army after high school. I run about 2 km 5 days out of seven and find that after about 6 minutes i have a hard time breathing due to alot of saliva that builds up in my throat and mouth. This doesn't happen when I'm doing chin ups, push ups or any upper body excersices. Is it normal, should I just spit it and keep on running or can I do something to help?
Thanks for reading.

BTW, im 14, 5'11, 130 lbs, in case my age, weight, etc. affects anything.

I played football all throughout highschool and have never heard of this before. Do you smoke or drink a lot of alcohol ? try running at different times during the day, like early morning, or before you go to bed. consult your doctor it sounds like it could have something to do with asthma.

I have the same problem, when ever I run I get the same thing. I have no clue what it is, I don't drink, smoke or have asthma.

How the heck did arrive at asthma from a mouth full of gob?

you're salivating more because you're running. It happens to all mammals. >Insert long scientific explanation I don't feel like typing<

Spit more frequently.

I don't beleive I have asthma..Just watch out if ever your walking along the Rideau River in Ottawa, 'cause you might step in my spit. ;).
Cheers and thanks all

happens to me too.... I spit like every 150 meters.. maybe less.

I dunno, I just know I spit like a crazy fool when I run any distance.. like more 1km.

oh! Very important: do NOT spit forward. Spit to the side. The downwind side.
Carry on.

Perhaps you're all just descendant from bulldogs.  ;D I have the opposite problem, dry mouth and throat, it's a side effect of GERD and it sucks. Wish I could get a drooling problem, sigh, one can only dream.  8)

You guys gotta run to drool? Wait till your older! You do it watching TV, when you sleep, while your reading the paper....
684.gif

I'm the exact opposite... I tend to get a VERY dry mouth when running or doing physical exercise. I have to chew gum when running just to help myself salivate, it's an enormous annoyance.

recceguy said:
You guys gotta run to drool? Wait till your older! You do it watching TV, when you sleep, while your reading the paper....
684.gif

Haha I've drooled while sleeping before many times, and when I run, it's usually the first few hundred metres that my mouth is over-run by saliva, then it dries out... probably due to the big breaths I take right from the start.

Back