• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Ex-serviceman risks eviction by flying Canadian flag on balcony

I met Mr Murray during the 125th anniversary.. Was there for a dog and pony.. He bought all the guys there a few beer, and we had a chance to talk with him for a bit.. Great guy. Its ridiculous that he is being targeted like this.. Since its in print, is there any way he can sue for slander or anything like that?

It's happening here too, but not from a 'landlord', someone actually complained to council...

Read on...

Shared IAW the usual...... http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0,23739,24467397-952,00.html

---------------

Ex-soldier told to remove 'offensive' Aussie flagArticle from: Font size: Decrease Increase Email article: Email Print article: Print Submit comment: Submit comment By Hannah Davies
October 08, 2008 11:00pm

A COUNCIL has ordered an ex-soldier to take down the Australian flag which flies outside his house because it has been deemed "offensive" by a neighbour.

Aaron Wilson erected the 5m high flagpole eight weeks ago, in honour of his friends who served in Iraq.

But on Tuesday, Logan City Council called to tell him a neighbour had made a complaint, labelling it "offensive".

He was told to remove the pole or risk legal action. Mr Wilson, whose father fought in Vietnam, said he was disgusted.

"I find it astonishing that anyone could find the Australian flag offensive," he said.

"My family and friends have served for the country and the very least I can do is have a flag to show my appreciation for Australia.

"I thought the council had better things to do with their time than persecute people for putting a flag up."

Logan City mayor Pam Parker said she backed Mr Wilson but could not rule out his having to move the flagpole.

``I am offended that somebody should complain to the council about the Australian flag, and whoever they are should hang their head in shame,'' she told ABC Radio.

Ms Parker said the flagpole had ``setback issues'' which she would discuss with council officers.

A council spokeswoman said there was a concern the flagpole could fall down in high winds. She said Mr Wilson needed a building permit, because the pole was only 4.5m from the kerb and, under the Queensland Development Code, it should be at least 6m from the front.

But Mr Wilson, 30, a salesman from Eagleby, near Beenleigh, said other residents in the area had similar flagpoles that were closer to the boundary than his.

He said he would not be moving the flag. "You can't have rules for some people and not for others," he said. "I can't see how moving the flag back a bit is going to stop it being offensive."

Ex-serviceman Cr Ray Hackwood, who represents Mr Wilson's ward, said he would be monitoring the situation.

"As area councillor, I certainly won't allow anyone to pull down an Australian flag," he said.

Mr Wilson's neighbours last night were baffled as to who had complained.

Felicia Maybury, 28, said: "Mr Wilson's got a right to fly his flag in support of his country and his mates who fought for us."

--------------------

As an Australian citizen and Veteran (of the Iraq campaign), I am totally disgusted,

Wes

Maybe soldiers, retired should start using the Freedom of Expression clause.....since when is it illegal to fly the flag?

Overwatch Downunder said:
It's happening here too, but not from a 'landlord', someone actually complained to council...

Read on...

Shared IAW the usual...... http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0,23739,24467397-952,00.html

---------------

Ex-soldier told to remove 'offensive' Aussie flagArticle from: Font size: Decrease Increase Email article: Email Print article: Print Submit comment: Submit comment By Hannah Davies
October 08, 2008 11:00pm

A COUNCIL has ordered an ex-soldier to take down the Australian flag which flies outside his house because it has been deemed "offensive" by a neighbour.

Aaron Wilson erected the 5m high flagpole eight weeks ago, in honour of his friends who served in Iraq.

But on Tuesday, Logan City Council called to tell him a neighbour had made a complaint, labelling it "offensive".

He was told to remove the pole or risk legal action. Mr Wilson, whose father fought in Vietnam, said he was disgusted.

"I find it astonishing that anyone could find the Australian flag offensive," he said.

"My family and friends have served for the country and the very least I can do is have a flag to show my appreciation for Australia.

"I thought the council had better things to do with their time than persecute people for putting a flag up."

Logan City mayor Pam Parker said she backed Mr Wilson but could not rule out his having to move the flagpole.

``I am offended that somebody should complain to the council about the Australian flag, and whoever they are should hang their head in shame,'' she told ABC Radio.

Ms Parker said the flagpole had ``setback issues'' which she would discuss with council officers.

A council spokeswoman said there was a concern the flagpole could fall down in high winds. She said Mr Wilson needed a building permit, because the pole was only 4.5m from the kerb and, under the Queensland Development Code, it should be at least 6m from the front.

But Mr Wilson, 30, a salesman from Eagleby, near Beenleigh, said other residents in the area had similar flagpoles that were closer to the boundary than his.

He said he would not be moving the flag. "You can't have rules for some people and not for others," he said. "I can't see how moving the flag back a bit is going to stop it being offensive."

Ex-serviceman Cr Ray Hackwood, who represents Mr Wilson's ward, said he would be monitoring the situation.

"As area councillor, I certainly won't allow anyone to pull down an Australian flag," he said.

Mr Wilson's neighbours last night were baffled as to who had complained.

Felicia Maybury, 28, said: "Mr Wilson's got a right to fly his flag in support of his country and his mates who fought for us."

--------------------

As an Australian citizen and Veteran (of the Iraq campaign), I am totally disgusted,

Wes

Not something I would have expected to happen in Oz........ 'Tis absolutely disgusting for this kind of complaint to happen in Canada or Oz....

YYC Retired said:
Not something I would have expected to happen in Oz........ 'Tis absolutely disgusting for this kind of complaint to happen in Canada or Oz....

And to top in off, adding insult to injury, its right here in Queensland, the Rebel State, the Alberta of Australia.

That is a disingenuous interpretation by the property manager.  "Uniform appearance of flats" relates to PHYSICAL ALTERATIONS (including markings on windows) hat significantly change the appearance of the residence.  It does not (and cannot) apply to a Canadian flag or any other flag.  The ex-serviceman would easily win this on the grounds the law violates his right to lawful expression of political belief, which as a Charter right, supersedes other laws.  Finally, any contract that violates the Charter is of no effect and in this case, that section of the code would fail to be of merit against the display of the Canadian flag.

Used to work for a lawyer...picked up a couple of things here and there.  :cdn: :salute:

twistedcables said:
That is a disingenuous interpretation by the property manager.  "Uniform appearance of flats" relates to PHYSICAL ALTERATIONS (including markings on windows) hat significantly change the appearance of the residence.  It does not (and cannot) apply to a Canadian flag or any other flag.  . . .

And perhaps this could be the "physical alterations" to which said property manager would be referring.

Old Sweat said:
The local television news at 1800 yesterday showed that he had mounted a bracket on the end of the wall separating his little patio from his neighbor's. The flag itself was on a pole projected at about 800 mils from the bracket. None of the other tenants had any complaints about the flag; in fact everyone interviewed supported his stand.

It's good everyone else is behind him.  I'd like to hear the results.  Property manager will probably drop it because of (very polite) emails from army forum types...hehe

What a shame this guy has to deal with clowns like this just so he can proudly have a flag flying.

Appreantly the UoC Student Union thinks hanging the Canadian Flag could be exlucionary to some students and want to debate weather to hang or fly the national flag at all. I remember this being discussed earlier and thought this would fit here.

from CBC.ca

Calgary student association hung up on 'exclusionary' Canadian flag
Last Updated: Monday, March 30, 2009 | 7:06

A Mount Royal College student says it's ludicrous that his student association wants to ask for opinions before deciding whether it should re-hang a Canadian flag in its building.

"I don't see why this discussion even exists. It's just ludicrous," said Dylan Clarkson, a journalism student at the institution and a reservist with the Canadian Forces.

"When I've gone around talking to students, particularly other reservists, students that I know, they all want the flag back up there. So I'm wondering where this dissenting voice is coming from that they feel is so powerful they can't put the flag back up."

A Canadian flag used to hang from the ceiling of Wyckham House, the student services building owned and operated by the Students' Association of Mount Royal College. The flag was taken down during extensive renovations to the building last year and has not been returned to the same location.

"We want to be as fully representative of all of our students as possible, so what we want to do is go out there and make sure that this is something the students want to see," Elizabeth McKeown, the student association's vice-president of student life, told CBC News on Monday.

The association is preparing a questionnaire to ask students about the flag after it received a submission raising the possibility that Canada's red-and-white standard could be "exclusionary."

"People may not realize that overt displays of patriotism can also be seen as exclusionary and even sometimes work to undermine democratic ideals," the unsigned letter reads.

The correspondence quotes a 2001 article from MIT Tech Talk, the Boston-area university's official newspaper, that outlined how a student from Burma felt "excluded and intimidated" about the proliferation of American flags shortly after the Sept. 11, 2001, hijackings in the United States.

McKeown said she received the one-page letter from a student, who wants to remain anonymous, in January. The issue was raised briefly during a council meeting the next month, which led to the decision to survey students.

McKeown said she hopes the questionnaires will be sent out soon so the student association can resolve the issue by mid-May.

The newly renovated Wyckham House will also host concerts and conferences, so the association wants to ensure the Canadian flag fits in with those uses as well, said Matt Koczkur, the organization's vice-president of external affairs.

"We're wanting to turn this into a multifunctional space, so there are a lot of competing interests, and obviously, if we are, as well, going to be hanging silk-screens down from the roof there, it would be inappropriate to be covering up the Canadian flag."

He said it's possible the student association will decide to move the Canadian flag outside.

But Clarkson, who ran unsuccessfully to be the association's president last year, said he thinks the whole debate is a waste of time. "As far as I can tell, they're worried about it either offending people or being overly nationalistic."

Said fellow student Annie Miao: "I don't see any reason why it shouldn't be [hung in the student centre]. I mean, we are on Canadian soil, yeah, so I don't think there even needs to be a survey."

Mount Royal College has a student population of 13,000.1

They received one submission about the host nation's national flag being displayed, as being "exclusionary."2

Yep, looks like the intellectual lowest common denominator to me.  ::)

1. http://www.calgary-for-newcomers.com/MountRoyalCollege.html
2. http://www.cbc.ca/canada/calgary/story/2009/03/30/cgy-mount-royal-flag-students-council.html

I'm sorry, but my college pub not only had many, many Canadian flags, but they also had the Queen's Standard up as well. (They hosted the Queen for lunch in 2002ish). I would have to say the pub had about 20 of each hanging from the ceiling, and nobody complained about that.

Here is my opinion for what its worth:

Anyone who doesn't like flying the Canadian Flag on apartments, in places of higher learning, pubs, etc can feel free to find another country to live in.

We mourn every November 11th the fact that over 100,000 of our fellow citizens paid the supreme price for our right to fly our flag.

Its about time oridinary Canadians stood up and said "STOP!. This is complete nonsense!>

OldSolduer said:
Here is my opinion for what its worth:

Anyone who doesn't like flying the Canadian Flag on apartments, in places of higher learning, pubs, etc can feel free to find another country to live in.

We mourn every November 11th the fact that over 100,000 of our fellow citizens paid the supreme price for our right to fly our flag.

Its about time oridinary Canadians stood up and said "STOP!. This is complete nonsense!>

This is nothing new as far as 'high education' in Canada is concerned. Although the fact that it occured in Alberta and people are letting it happen is somewhat surprising (I would expect this from the left-wing bastions in BC and Ont, not Alberta). Regardless, it's nothing new. Student associations and unions have always been anti-government and anti-Canadian.

99% of the time (and after four years at school I finally learned this) you're better off ignoring them and let them slip back into the obscurity from whence they came. I personally don't care anymore, I'm done with university, done with the radical ideologies you find on campus and done with students.

Piper said:
This is nothing new as far as 'high education' in Canada is concerned. Although the fact that it occured in Alberta and people are letting it happen is somewhat surprising (I would expect this from the left-wing bastions in BC and Ont, not Alberta). Regardless, it's nothing new. Student associations and unions have always been anti-government and anti-Canadian.

99% of the time (and after four years at school I finally learned this) you're better off ignoring them and let them slip back into the obscurity from whence they came. I personally don't care anymore, I'm done with university, done with the radical ideologies you find on campus and done with students.

:stirpot: Piper, I know some editors at a certain Ontario unversity's online quasi-news forum who are really going to miss you >:D !

On a more serious note, I will miss the fact that you're not here anymore!

BTW, David Akin was here last night as a speaker for the "Last Lecture."

Were you able to attend? Congratulations on graduation; one day it might be you returning here to deliver a speech to graduating students at the "Last Lecture"--don't be so sure you're done yet!

(P.S. gossip: last Friday Garvie wrote a piece supporting Galloway and by Monday it was mysteriously gone :rofl: )

Journeyman said:
They received one submission about the host nation's national flag being displayed, as being "exclusionary."2

I think that person should just suck it up or go the f*** home.  If I went to study in the US or any other country, I'd expect to see there flag flying all over the school. 

leroi said:
  :stirpot: Piper, I know some editors at a certain Ontario unversity's online quasi-news forum who are really going to miss you >:D !

On a more serious note, I will miss the fact that you're not here anymore!

BTW, David Akin was here last night as a speaker for the "Last Lecture."

Were you able to attend? Congratulations on graduation; one day it might be you returning here to deliver a speech to graduating students at the "Last Lecture"--don't be so sure you're done yet!

(P.S. gossip: last Friday Garvie wrote a piece supporting Galloway and by Monday it was mysteriously gone :rofl: )

I didn't go to the last lecture, I couldn't really be bothered and I had an assignment to finish anyways. I'm not even attending graduation as I'll be in another province (I get my degree mailed to me).

I'm sick of academia and students. I've had great profs and some interesting classes but I can honestly say I'm ready to leave; students are idiots for the most part (of course, I spent 2.5 years dealing with the worst of 'em, so its partially my own fault). If I ever go back to school it'll be for a law degree which hopefully means that I'll be among more mature people.

Piper,

I can understand how you feel about academia :nod: .

Best of luck with your career!  :yellow:

Congrats!

I read the MRC story and it sickened me. Has anyone else notice that in the last couple of years, the average potency of National Pride in Canada has plummeted?

I mean... there isn't even any Canadian flags in any of the rooms in my school except for those little dinky ones on the plastic stick and ones teachers personally bought from the dollar store or something. It's insanity if you ask me.

Back