• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

EX-Infantry guys.

arwin

Inactive
Reaction score
Hello
I'd like to get a picture of what is it gonna be like afterwards. I'd like all the Ex-Infantry guys to answer a few questions for me.
What is the highest level of education you have?
How long did you serve for?
What kind of civilian jobs have you been offered?
Thank you for your time. :salute:

1. Gr 12, it is in your best interest to stay in school, finish up, that way you have more options in life in general.

2. Shy of 3 yrs as a 031, before moving on to a trade in EME (WTL MOC 421).

3. I was 'career' Army, suitable jobs for a 031 are very limited (IMHO) considering what the main heart of the 031 trade is  :nod: . Note: I left the Regs in early 09, working now as a contractor for Army as an armourer. My TI in the CF earned me a ticket to Australia back in 1995, where I became a citizen in 1997, and I have done an additional +15 yrs in Defence, now in the Reserve system.

Best of luck, but at all costs if I was you, refer to my para 1 first and foremost. Try a Militia Unit out while you stay in school. Work the summers, get your courses up, and have fun while you earn as you learn, then move on to the Regs if/when it suits you.

Your education is the main key to open doors for you in the future within the CF and beyond.

OWDU

EDITed for spelling

My education when I enlisted was gr 9. I served as an R.C.R. for 12 years until I was retired in 92. I am proud to have been a member of that family! They are pro's on an off day.
After retirement I spent $6000 on explosives training & entered Onterribles first apprenticeship program for surface blasting. I still get call's today but left that trade for medical reasons. I run state side in a Tractor trailer for 5 years & now I run a concrete plant in B.C.
If I did it all over again, I might do 3 years Army & than grab a spec trade like air frame tech or something along those lines so I am employable when I get out of the Military.
I have been out for 18 years but still feel like I belong on base. It does stay with you!
Good luck in your future!
Hatch. :yellow:

Not ex yet, but grade 12, with an associate degree in Business Management (correspondence course) and a 1st year locksmithing apprenticeship (hard to find work unless you have family in business or start your own, learning tricks of the trade as you go).

I have been in since 2008.  I still get calls from previous employers to come back, mainly oilfield (seismic and surveying).

Well,
I was in the reserves for 7 years, and quit 2nd year university when the army made me a better offer.  I don't regret that but, I went to college for three years after I got out.

The reason for my post is, years after I left the military, I was the chief pilot of a small air charter company and hired a new pilot largely based on his three years in the PPCLI.  There is a brotherhood to the military that will open doors for you that may seem unrelated to any occupation or given situation.  I would still list my time in on a CV 13 years after I left.

Steve

arwin said:
Hello
I'd like to get a picture of what is it gonna be like afterwards. I'd like all the Ex-Infantry guys to answer a few questions for me.

Firstly hi am new here to the site... I'll try my best to answer your questions here goes

I left school at 16 yrs old  education was the average standard Maths and English and a few others, at 17 I joined up into the British Army were I served a total of 23yrs. To be honest my education really started at 17yrs were I learnt my skills and drills from Firearms to Urban and Rural tactics. I also became a training instructor for the British army, training school leavers to adult troops.

When I left to be honest it was hard to adjust to civi street I still haven't really adjusted and I've been out 3 yrs now, as when serving your were in charge of millions pounds of kit and equipment and your were responsible for troops,when operational 30+, when this is taken away its a shock even the money factor is a total shock compared to civvi street ...

There where many jobs I could of taken when I left all security work for Afghanistan and the Gulf, however I did not want to put any more stress on my family as you can imagine 23yrs of travelling the world and in most cases without your family, reason operational tours etc. I currently work for the MOD as Firearms and Internal Security Instructor...But just last night I've  enquired about security work....

Question ..Do i miss it, God dam right I do ....If your planning to join or leave, then best of luck...

Hope this helps

and I do hope the admins didn't mind me posting ....     

SteveB said:
The reason for my post is, years after I left the military, I was the chief pilot of a small air charter company and hired a new pilot largely based on his three years in the PPCLI.  There is a brotherhood to the military that will open doors for you that may seem unrelated to any occupation or given situation.  I would still list my time in on a CV 13 years after I left.

Steve

I agree with Steve. I have had to hire/interview/screen resumes for a lot of positions in the last 7 years and there were many candidates I hired specifically because they had military experience. My reasoning wasn't because of a military brotherhood (I have zero military experience as of yet), but more because I felt these individuals would be more responsible, trustworthy, and committed than the average candidate. If I had two candidates; one with minimal experience in the field I was hiring for and one with zero experience but military experience, generally I would hire the one with military experience.

2010newbie said:
If I had two candidates; one with minimal experience in the field I was hiring for and one with zero experience but military experience, generally I would hire the one with military experience.

If you watch this scene around the 4:00 mark, it shows that: "I know how to learn. Same as I learned that job up there.":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tU0d3DVcKoY&feature=related

My last job interview was when I was 18, but my understanding of City hiring back then was that employment preference was given to veterans by law. I think back then it was seen as a right.

( Somewhat inebriated speech by a returning infantry veteran at a banquet in his honour ):
"The knowledge I acquired in the good ol' bank I applied to my problems in the infantry. For instance, one day in Okinawa, a Major comes up to me and he says, "Stephenson, you see that hill?" "Yes sir, I see it." "All right," he said. "You and your platoon will attack said hill and take it." So I said to the Major, "but that operation involves considerable risk. We haven't sufficient collateral." "I'm aware of that," said the Major, "but the fact remains that there's the hill and you are the guys who are going to take it." So I said to him, "I'm sorry, Major... no collateral, no hill." So we didn't take the hill and we lost the war.":
( 01:45 mark )
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igXHsHZhoYU

2010newbie said:
If I had two candidates; one with minimal experience in the field I was hiring for and one with zero experience but military experience, generally I would hire the one with military experience.

And how did that work out ? Were you generally satisfied with your decision ?

Started my own consulting business after 8 years in the Regular British Army (preceeded by 2 years CF rserves, followed by 20 years CF reserves, still serving). Picked up a BA and Masters degree following the British Army.  +100 to all the advice about education above.

Main edge over my competition?

What they think is hard work is a joke to me. Not afraid to talk to Deputy Ministers or clean toilets all in the same afternoon. (Note to self: wash hands)

Huge awreness of how people interact in groups and how to lead them effectively in stressful times.

Self-confidence in just about any situation. Not afraid to call a spade a spade.

Being honest, trustworthy and reliable. Three things you don't always encounter on the job these days.

A 'systems' approach to buisness and projects. You'd be amazed how well 'battle procedure' translates to just about anything humans get up to. Also, an ability to lead through complexity.

My chiropractor likes me!

Oh, and I'm interviewing an ex-CF guy on Monday. I've met him before and he's already head and shoulders above his peers, so we might hire him.

Jungle said:
And how did that work out ? Were you generally satisfied with your decision ?

100% satisfied. So much so, that the first person I hired with a military background in 2003 (had retired as Aviation Tech - now is in reserves @ Borden) I called to ask to be a reference for me with my CF application last November. The work we were hiring for were quality auditors and inspectors. Some of the jobs weren't very enjoyable (inspecting Torx head bolts for proper forming @ 25,000 per day per person), but others were working lineside at our customer's facilities across three shift operations. High visibility and a position where you need someone that is professional in appearance and attitude. Also, someone that will see the project through to the end and show up ON-TIME every day. I remember two other ex-CF employees that stick out because I could count on calling them at the last minute, count on them to work overtime, count on them to work whatever shift I had available, and count on them to complete the paperwork correctly to submit in a timely manner.

Of course I had tons of other employees that performed as well that weren't ex-CF, but when I was hiring new people it definitely put my mind at ease sending them into a new project when they were ex-CF.

Not afraid to talk to Deputy Ministers or clean toilets all in the same afternoon. (Note to self: wash hands)

I have to ask: wash hands. Is that after talk to DM, or clean toilets?

arwin said:
Hello

College Diploma
Going on 2 years
Current private security job

I retired from the Regular Force in 99, after I found out I had been accepted for Corrections Officer training. Grade 12 helps, but if you have college or university courses, that helps.
I have Gr 12 plus some college courses. Reg Force for 24.5 years. Now Cl B reservist

Mid Aged Silverback said:
I retired from the Regular Force in 99, after I found out I had been accepted for Corrections Officer training. Grade 12 helps, but if you have college or university courses, that helps.
I have Gr 12 plus some college courses. Reg Force for 24.5 years. Now Cl B reservist

C.D. with two bars!  :salute:

I'm not ex (yet) but it's a good question, since there normally will be "life after the Army".

I think the advice on getting education (either before you join or while you're in) is very true: education combined with real life experience is, IMHO, a pretty powerful combination. Lots of folks have one, but not the other.

Based on what I've heard from civilian employers I've talked to over the years, and what I've seen of various civilian organizations I've operated alongside), here's what I think Inf folks bring to the table:

-Teamwork (cooperation, reliability, task-orientation);

-Self-starting and self-regulating;

-The ability to assess a situation, make a half-decent decision, then act. You have no idea how rare a commodity this is in some organizations;

-not afraid of a little mud, cold, or extra work; and

-(depending on your rank) the ability to "lead" others and not just "manage" or "bully" . Again, true leadership is in short supply in many places. Companies will spend thousands of bucks to send executives and managers to learn what you learned for free on a junior leadership course.

Most employers would kill to have a shop full of employees who meet the descriptions above. Too often they just can't find them.

Don't sell yourself short as an ex-Inf type: you've got lots to offer.

Cheers

Joined in 82 month shy of my 18th B-Day. Spent 6 years in 1RCR London Ont. LOTPed to medic. Retired summer of 06 to follow niner-dom on her last posting to NCSM JOLLIET, Sept-Iles Que. Did 4 years attached posted to JOLLIET while there; mostly class A but about 6 or 7 months class B. Wiife retired in March this year. Three weeks ago we moved  back to her hometown in Robertville NB (just outside Bathurst ). Be looking for employment this autumn.

arwin said:
Hello

A lot of your success will be based on what field of work you choose when you get out.  In general, any sort of management job requires you to either have a post-secondary education (i.e. diploma or degree) and/or a unique skill set (i.e. IT or second language), but some jobs can come from having unique experiences (i.e. security operations) or from personal drive and motivation (i.e. opening your own business).  Its a pretty broad spectrum with no specific formula that works for everyone.

One man I knew retired after 33 years of service and the best work he could find was $10/hr washing cars at a dealership.  He had no post-secondary education, limited unique skill sets, and limited unique experiences; he might have overcome these but also had limited drive and motivation.   

Another problem is that know one really knows what occupation they are going to go into when they retire; no one knows what they will be 25 years from now.

The best advice anyone here can give you is to be a life-learner.  Pick up education skills and experience whenever you can, and as you get an idea of what you want to do when you leave the CF, focus on specific education skills and experiences that will build towards that goal.

The best advice anyone here can give you is to be a life-learner.  Pick up education skills and experience whenever you can, and as you get an idea of what you want to do when you leave the CF, focus on specific education skills and experiences that will build towards that goal.

Hear, hear. Well said and very true.

Cheers

Back