• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Ex-CFLer/Ex-NFLer now with CAF in Afghanistan

ark

Inactive
Reaction score
KANDAHAR, Afghanistan - When Nigel Williams retired from the Canadian Football League three years ago, he thought it would be the last time he'd pull on a helmet.

Now he wears one to work every day, made of Kevlar and designed to stop bullets and shrapnel instead of opposing tacklers.

The former wide receiver with the Ottawa Renegades, the Montreal Alouettes and the NFL's Washington Redskins has found a slightly different post-game career: he is now Private Williams, one of 2,200 Canadian soldiers in Afghanistan on Canada's largest combat mission since the Korean War.

"I wanted to do something different after football, and hey, this sure is different," Pte. Williams said cheerfully, strapping on nearly 30 kilograms of body armour, ammunition and weaponry in the back of his LAV III armoured vehicle during a recent patrol.

Pte. Williams, a radio operator with the Canadian battle group, looks out at the stark Afghani landscape around him and grins brilliantly from under his wraparound army sunglasses. "I sure wouldn't be here doing this if I'd stayed in the CFL."

The Montreal native has been on patrol several times in the dangerous foothills and mountains north of Kandahar that the soldiers of the Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry call "Taliban Country."

As radio operator for battle group commander Lieutenant Colonel Ian Hope, he gets to see more of the sprawling patrol area than most soldiers, which he said has made a deep impression on him. "Some of these people in these little villages have nothing, just nothing," Pte. Williams says. "We're here to help and help in any way ... and that's fine by me."

"I have three boys of my own, so I'd hate to see them in this kind of situation," Pte. Williams says, watching a crowd of little boys -- many of them obviously under-nourished -- kick around a soccer ball handed out by the Canadians at one village.

"I'll be here as long as they tell me to -- and gladly."

http://server09.densan.ca/archivenews/060307/npt/060307ab.htm

Searched his name on the forum but found nothing.

Was in Basic and my Sig 3's with Nigel, he's a great guy and a great soldier and Signaller.
I'm not sure that I would have graduated my 3's without him pushing me on during the final field ex.

Take care Big Man, and keep your head down!

Shortsleeves

Experience is a hard teacher, in that she gives the test first and the lesson after

Yep, not the only ex-CFL'er either...
http://www.army.forces.gc.ca/lf/English/6_1_1_1.asp?id=723

What an inspiration
would help in recruiting

There have been several world and national class sports players in our army. The guns have several from the CFL, three officers that I served with in the guns have played pro ball for Montreal, Saskatchewan and Toronto. We also have National and world rugby, curling and bobsledders. Just ask around they are amongst you.

Back