• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Ex ARCTIC RAM 2014

McG

Army.ca Legend
Reaction score
Edmonton soldiers tackle the High Arctic

February 13, 2014

Edmonton – Approximately 500 soldiers from the Canadian Army will participate in Exercise ARCTIC RAM from 13 to 26 February in Kugaaruk, Nunavut. Exercise ARCTIC RAM is a comprehensive winter-training exercise designed to provide soldiers with an exciting and challenging opportunity to develop their individual and collective skills in Arctic operations.

Members of the 3rd Battalion, Princess Patricia’s Canadian Light Infantry (3 PPCLI), will train alongside Canadian Rangers from 1 Canadian Ranger Patrol Group and the Arctic Response Company Group comprised of soldiers from 38 Canadian Brigade Group. Soldiers will conduct a variety of training to include Arctic winter survival training, snowmobile patrolling, advance winter warfare skills and quick response to a threat or hazard in Canada’s North. The exercise will kick off with soldiers parachuting into the exercise area, located south of the hamlet.

“In taking our training up to the Arctic, not only are we being challenged by the environment and weather, but we are also being challenged by the logistics of working in such a remote location,” said Lieutenant-Colonel John Errington, Commanding Officer of 3 PPCLI.  “By preparing and training for the worst case scenario we will be more than ready to respond to any event.”

This is the furthest north that 3 PPCLI has ever conducted training. The partnering with the Canadian Rangers is a unique opportunity for soldiers to learn from their extensive northern experiences. As they are the “eyes and ears” of the North the Rangers are known for their guiding ability and outdoor skills; skills and knowledge the rest of the Canadian Armed Forces depends on to operate in the harsh Arctic climate.

For more information about Exercise ARCTIC RAM, please contact the 1 Canadian Mechanized Brigade Group Public Affairs Officer.
http://www.army-armee.forces.gc.ca/en/news-publications/national-news-details-no-menu.page?doc=edmonton-soldiers-tackle-the-high-arctic/hrltqmhe

Have fun up there 3VP.

Having been to the arctic myself and roughly 24 hours away from deploying on another winter ex into the middle of nowhere, I can say that I wish my unit would look at tropical warfare.  Maybe in the DR or another similar environment.  I volunteer for advanced party.

Hope they have fun, it is a pretty awesome experience to have under your belt.

Video report on the progress of this exercise:  http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/edmonton/Edmonton+troops+battle+frostbite+during+Arctic+disaster/9532797/story.html

MCG said:
Video report on the progress of this exercise:  http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/edmonton/Edmonton+troops+battle+frostbite+during+Arctic+disaster/9532797/story.html
Too funny.  The video link is "Edmonton+troops+battle+frostbite+during+Arctic+disaster," while the article title adds the key word "...Arctic disaster scenario."

With all the CAF-related bad news in the press, I just assumed that there were some "problems" of disastrous proportions with the Ex.  ;D

Journeyman said:
Too funny.  The video link is "Edmonton+troops+battle+frostbite+during+Arctic+disaster," while the article title adds the key word "...Arctic disaster scenario."

With all the CAF-related bad news in the press, I just assumed that there were some "problems" of disastrous proportions with the Ex.  ;D

After Ex Trillium Response (Rankin Inlet, NU), 80+ troops from 31 brigade have been stranded in the north since Sunday. Flights continue to get canceled and pushed back, yet civi flights are seen flying out regularly. Fun times. The "problems" include students missing midterms and employers giving a good dose of WTF.

FWIW, we had 4 troops on that ex and they had a fantastic time.

This is the kind of stuff that keeps troops coming back for more.

Thank you 1 Bde Comd, 3 VP et al  :salute:

Back