• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Ever heard of NIS?

Bintheredunthat

Inactive
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has ever heard this term "NIS".  It was in a lesson plan someone came across today.  Thinking it may simply be a typo.  But who knows?

Pat on the back to whoever can hit me up with an answer.  References would help too.

Don't everyone refer me to the CF Abbreviations all at once now.  ;D

Bin

Binthere;

NIS = net identification sign (im sure thats why you in C&E section)
NIS also means
National Investigation Service
NATO Identification System

Hope this helps

Yeah I was looking for the first one (Signals Context).

As to what exaclty it means  ???

Bin

Sorry thought you just wanted the long form.
An NIS is a daily changing two-letter call sign used to identify the formation net

NIS is ussually 4 alpha numerics that are abreviated left or right.  It is ussually an HF net and is for daily changing call signs on a bde or div net.

That's embarrassing.  Am I the only one who finds that with all the new information getting pushed into their head a little bit of the basics seem to seep out every now and then?  I hope not.

I so remember this term now.  Jeeze.  What next?  I'll forget my svc number??  :eek:

I guess though that with all the terms and abbreviations that have been introduced within the past 5-10 years, it's understandable.  But still............. :-[

Bin

Radop said:
NIS is ussually 4 alpha numerics that are abreviated left or right.  It is ussually an HF net and is for daily changing call signs on a bde or div net.

You're thinking of the net call sign. The NIS is a three letter alphabetical code that identifies a particular net.

(Tried answering last night when the system went down.)

Jeese Guys!

As was stated above - Reply # 3  by Shilly

Right out of ACP 125
402. NET IDENTIFICATION SIGN

1.    All nets require a means of identification.  Formation nets are assigned a net call sign which achieves this purpose.  Units are assigned a daily changing two-letter Net Identification Sign (NIS).  As call signs within units are unique, all nets within a unit will use the unit NIS.

Let's not confuse Net Identification Signs with Address Groups or other Call Signs.

So maybe instead of changing the Forum Title from "Communications & Electronics", we should change it to "Communications & Other Trades That Can Answer Signals Questions" ;D ;D

Uhhhhh...............funkmeister........are you talking about a Net ID??  I've never heard of any "3 letter alphabetical code that id's a particular net.  Examples????? 

Come on bro.  When you come into a C&E thread, at least make sure you know what you are talking about before making your remarks.  You didn't provide any info on what the letters stood for, you gave a vague guess as to what they meant, you said someone else's answer was wrong (you were wrong), and you provided no reference.  That's 4 strikes.

For shame. 

Sorry if this seems ignorant, I just think people should think before they left click "Post".

Thanks to the rest for the info once again.

Bin

Bintheredunthat said:
Uhhhhh...............funkmeister........are you talking about a Net ID??  I've never heard of any "3 letter alphabetical code that id's a particular net.  Examples????? 

Come on bro.  When you come into a C&E thread, at least make sure you know what you are talking about before making your remarks.  You didn't provide any info on what the letters stood for, you gave a vague guess as to what they meant, you said someone else's answer was wrong (you were wrong), and you provided no reference.  That's 4 strikes.

For shame. 

Sorry if this seems ignorant, I just think people should think before they left click "Post".

Sorry...I admit...my bad. And yes, I got the NIS mixed up with an address group. And to think I actually had a copy of ACP 125(F) open on screen. I don't know what I was thinking of. Don't worry, tho', I won't post here again.

Back