• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Even-numbered TFs

Ralph

Inactive
Reaction score
Now that the CF's had its "downtime" and we're "ready" to field two task forces at once, is there anything impending for the even-numbered TFs (2-06, 4-06, 2-07, 4-07)? Maybe Haiti/maybe Sudan? I realize it's all conjecture until boots are on the ground, but does anyone want to start a good-sounding rumour?

I suspect everything is on hold until after the federal election on 23 Jan 06.

The CLS indicated to us that the plan was originally to deploy 2-06 to Haiti but over time the focus has shifted to the Sudan.  I believe 2-06 will soon be told to stand down and 4-06 will take up responsibility for the second line of operation.

This is definately a rumor, but I will mention it anyways, because hey, troops love to speculate, even when pointless, right?

Regarding TF 2-07(3PPCLI)....39 CBG is augmenting..... we were told at my regiment that if a Haitian deployment did indeed become a reality, that the Vandoos(which are TF 1-07, I believe) would probably end up going there(due to language) while 2-07 would most likely end up in Kandahar. Enjoy that rumor with a gigantic grain of salt, as it is probably someone just thinking logically and filling in the blanks, and not an actual plan.  ;)

Given that the army rumor mill is pretty intense, we could probably start one about sending a TF into space, and taking the moon by force...

MasterPrivate, your rumour is totally false and well out of date.  TF 2-07 will not be going to Afghanistan.

Gunner said:
MasterPrivate, your rumour is totally false and well out of date.  TF 2-07 will not be going to Afghanistan.

Out of curriosity, is 2-07 going overseas, or is it dom ops?

R031button said:
Out of curriosity, is 2-07 going overseas, or is it dom ops?

Domestic: they are burning Toronto to the ground  ::)

KevinB said:
  Domestic: they are burning Toronto to the ground  ::)

Now Kev, you should really know better then start rumours like that.

Everyone in the "know" knows that TF 02-07 will be an Aid to civil power op to assist in cordon and search operations to help the city police in making Toronto a handgun free zone.

MasterPrivate said:
we were told at my regiment that if a Haitian deployment did indeed become a reality, that the Vandoos(which are TF 1-07, I believe) would probably end up going there(due to language) while 2-07 would most likely end up in Kandahar.
3R22R is TF 3-07, deploying in Aug 2007. TF 2-06 is already being hit with a number of early postings and tasks, so it is not expected to deploy anywhere...

Now to add to this lovley list of rumors and comments wanted to add that C Bty has been told, unless something has changed over Christmas that we are going somewhere as TF 02-07.  We will be going somewhere, somehow, just dont know where or what we will be doing.  I suspect it's just a waste cause we've been told that for the last 3 years.  In fact when they said we were going somewhere in that time frame I laughed.

TF 2-07 is on the second line of operation within the Army's Managed Readiness Plan...until the Federal Election is over and the new Cabinet sorts themselves out, no one on the second line of operation is going anywhere.

Armymedic said:
Now Kev, you should really know better then start rumours like that.

Everyone in the "know" knows that TF 02-07 will be an Aid to civil power op to assist in cordon and search operations to help the city police in making Toronto a handgun free zone.

Of course in keeping with the spirit of the mission and in accordance with the Mayor and his council's demands er wishes the TF will be deployed without any weapons at all. ::)

We now return you to your regular scheduled thread.

...until the Federal Election is over and the new Cabinet sorts themselves out, no one on the second line of operation is going anywhere.

What about now?

I haven't heard anything concrete.  If you follow the newspapers, the Conservative government has a uphill battle convincing the Canadian public that Canada should be involved in Afghanistan  in the face of mounting casualites.  The Sudan rejected a UN deployment last week and Haiti seems to have fallen off the radar screen.  Combine this information with some of the CF concerns over manning our commitment to Afghanistan, I believe the 2nd Line of Operations is questionable in its present form.  A caveat, DLFR and LFA G3 staff are looking at many different options (reserve CRICs, reroling armour sub-units, moving second line of operations units to the first line, etc, etc).  Bottom line, go with what you are told in terms of force generation and train hard.  Leave the big decisions to those who get paid to make them.

At the risk of getting slapped down I have a couple stupid questions about this topic.

1) Why are reserves (as mentioned in previous posts) augmenting "task forces" which are not set to go overseas?
2) Is this new?

1.  The Army is trying to discipline the way it force generates soldiers for overseas deployment. The way this is accomplished is through a system known as the managed readiness system (MRS).  The Army believes it can sustain 2 x task forces (TF) of 1000 soldiers.  This is referred to in the MRS as the two lines of operations.  The first line of operation contains odd numbered TF (1-06, 3-06, 1-07, 3-07, etc) are currently earmarked for deployment to Afghanistan.  The second line of operation contains even numbered TF (2-06, 4-06, etc) and have not been committed to a second theatre of operation.  Included in managed readiness is an operational reserve of Bn strength.

2.  Yes and no.  Reserves have always made an important contribution to international deployment (Medak consisted of 2 PPCLI with a very large component of reserves).  For a TF to be ready for deployment within 30 days they need to be trained and ready to go.  Unfortunately, without a mission...they may be waiting for awhile.  Having said that, things can change very very quickly on the domestic political side and on the international scene (we are focussed on Afghanistan, Sudan and Haiti but what about other places around the world? ie Zimbabwe).

Thanks Gunner. I think I understand a little better now.

So, the reserve soldier who volunteers to serve with one of these task forces could spend the entire time in Canada or end up in the next crisis God knows where. It sounds uncertain but for someone who's motivated it's a good opportunity...or a potential nightmare. I guess it depends on your point of view.

Infantry_wannabe said:
Thanks Gunner. I think I understand a little better now.

So, the reserve soldier who volunteers to serve with one of these task forces could spend the entire time in Canada or end up in the next crisis God knows where. It sounds uncertain but for someone who's motivated it's a good opportunity...or a potential nightmare. I guess it depends on your point of view.

There is nothing for sure in this world except taxes, death and nurses.  ;)

The Op HARMONY and CAVALIER rotations to Bosnia and Croatia were both stood down in 1995 after completing a significant amount of training.  Occasionally Reservists (and Regulars) volunteer for missions that don't happen or are stood down.  Most of the older fellows will tell you that you are not guaranteed to go on tour until you step off the plane for the operation.  Anything can and will happen.  Even if you don't go, there will be another time, and you can use the opportunity to train, get experience and get to know some of the Regulars....it will make it easier on you the next time a tour comes around.

Just another question, does anyone know what the plan for reservists on these even numbered TF is should the TF not deploy? Stay in garrison with whatever unit you are attached to? Contract cancelled? Farmed off to a training centre to work?

Im wondering because I'm considering signing up for 4-07 when I get home from 1-06. Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks

Back