• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Erin O’Toole not seeking re-election

JLB50

Reaction score

Too bad we’re going to lose him as an M.P. If only the Conservative Party’s long knives hadn’t come out I think he could have stood a decent chance of unseating Trudeau. But then the party is particularly good at doing that kind of thing to its leaders. C’est la vie, I guess. It’s not just the party’s loss but the country’s as well.

Too bad we’re going to lose him as an M.P. If only the Conservative Party’s long knives hadn’t come out I think he could have stood a decent chance of unseating Trudeau. But then the party is particularly good at doing that kind of thing to its leaders. C’est la vie, I guess. It’s not just the party’s loss but the country’s as well.

In your summation about O'Toole I think you're being generous. He was a dud. And I think he may have been a sacrificial lamb who was never intended to win.

In your summation about the CPC I think your correct. The person who would be at the helm, Rona Ambrose, wants nothing to do with it; and the next best choice, Peter MacKay, is too East Coast Con for the party.

I have spoken with all three and hands down Rona would have been an amazing PM. I like Peter and Erin was, at least for me, ‘functional but meh’

If for whatever reason, the JT makes it through the Chinese interference thing this round, I do hope that Rona considers a return to politics.

I have spoken with all three and hands down Rona would have been an amazing PM. I like Peter and Erin was, at least for me, ‘functional but meh’

If for whatever reason, the JT makes it through the Chinese interference thing this round, I do hope that Rona considers a return to politics.

I think he will honestly. Canadians, where it counts, are conditioned that PP is bad, and JT is a savior and sins are minor.

I think he will honestly. Canadians, it counts, are conditioned that PP is bad, and JT is a savior and sins are minor.
Yeah, but Canadians gonna Canada…

To think that Chretien (and Martin) went down for Adscam which, in the scale of things pales in comparison to Le Dauphin’s trail of ‘fecethical detrius,’ shows just how far Canadians have become inured with disingenuous flash over substantive long-term worth.

I think Rona also had great potential. Kim Campbell was in for such a short time I never really considered her to be P.M. She was flakey as well. So if Rona were to ever become P.M. in the future I think she would make a fine P.M. I also liked McKay. And, yes, I liked O’Toole…although maybe his bouts of honesty helped do him in.

And, yes, I liked O’Toole…although maybe his bouts of honesty helped do him in.

My aunt, who helped Joe *Clark campaign back in the day, said, “Erin ‘Joe Clark’d’ himself.” Can’t disagree with her.

Last edited:
My impression of Ambrose is that she is competent and steady. Exactly what this country needs right now.

@Good2Golf and @Halifax Tar

I know I rail about the media all the damn time, but your two posts illustrate just how powerful the information game is that is being played. There is no way in hell someone as scandal ridden and incompetent as JT should ever continue in the job as PM, but here we are.

Anyone who believes we have an unbiased media in Canada is either not paying attention or is biased in the same direction. At this point CBC acts as the PA arm of the LPC, until it just can't anymore. Just look at their coverage of China's interference. The problem for them on this is they never had control of the narrative and couldn't influence the spin so they've had to adjust their reporting.

@Good2Golf and @Halifax Tar

I know I rail about the media all the damn time, but your two posts illustrate just how powerful the information game is that is being played. There is no way in hell someone as scandal ridden and incompetent as JT should ever continue in the job as PM, but here we are.
But we don’t just elect an (increasingly powerful) PM. Canadians elect members of a party whose platform they hope to see enacted by the legislature and the regulatory bureaucracy. Who would be PM is certainly an important factor, but far from the only factor in who Canadians vote for.

But we don’t just elect an (increasingly powerful) PM. Canadians elect members of a party whose platform they hope to see enacted by the legislature and the regulatory bureaucracy. Who would be PM is certainly an important factor, but far from the only factor in who Canadians vote for.

Maybe to you and I. But I think you are giving the electorate more credit than they deserve. I would wager the majority see party on the ballot and mark their X.

@brihard I’d posit that is the theory of how the Canadian variant of the Westminster Parliamentary system should work. I think the practice of representation isn’t as beholden as executing the will of a small number of Canadians, many of whom are notably distanced from elected status and genuine representation of the electorate.

A CPC minority gov will be short lived, and wont be able to accomplish much. For them, it has to majority or bust.

The innate flaw in any society built on the individual. It is hard to organize.

Of course. Except the MPs must be in full support of the PM or they get run out of town. Had the LPC removed JT as leader of the party by now, I'd think that party had retained some credibility. But with JT still in charge they've lost all credibility at this point. The LPC needs to be banished into the hinterlands of political irrelevance for this.

Of course. Except the MPs must be in full support of the PM or they get run out of town. Had the LPC removed JT as leader of the party by now, I'd think that party had retained some credibility. But with JT still in charge they've lost all credibility at this point. The LPC needs to be banished into the hinterlands of political irrelevance for this.
I never like for any party to be too stable. Otherwise, after awhile they became too smug and either unlikely or unable to change with the times. As you say, the LPC deserves to be banished to the hinterlands. If so maybe they will do some serious soul searching and determine what they really want for Canada. Personally, I feel that every party should occasionally undergo a similar banishment. It’s good for the party. And good for the country. Even though I have supported the Liberals occasionally in the past, it’s time for them, or at the very least Justin, to go.

Back