• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Emergency Response Times

Yeah, that’s definitely not approved messaging for higher. Guy went off script, looks like an idiot, and damages the credibility of our profession when we’re already struggling to be able to make a meaningful dent in some types of crime. Brutal.

Yeah, that’s definitely not approved messaging for higher. Guy went off script, looks like an idiot, and damages the credibility of our profession when we’re already struggling to be able to make a meaningful dent in some types of crime. Brutal.
The initial social media backlash was saying TPS chief. This is actually much better lol

I've seen a number of videos where people in Toronto find their missing cars with airtags, call the police, and get completely fucked off by them.

I've seen a number of videos where people in Toronto find their missing cars with airtags, call the police, and get completely fucked off by them.
Going off what we see in their response times I imagine this is the result of call stacking where every crime against person in progress steps in over top of recovering a vehicle,

There should be units dedicated to this in Toronto but it’s hard to keep them in their mandate when violent calls are stacked

Going off what we see in their response times I imagine this is the result of call stacking where every crime against person in progress steps in over top of recovering a vehicle,

There should be units dedicated to this in Toronto but it’s hard to keep them in their mandate when violent calls are stacked
Definitely this. People before property when the queue is stacked. Cops are expensive.

Maybe the police should surrender for a bit and let the greater population take care of things for a while. I think our population needs some adversity and maybe they would actually come to appreciate the LEOs.

It's going to happen eventually anyways, if things don't change.

There are a few towns in the U.S. where gun ownership is mandatory and "stand-your-ground" laws exist... is this what you mean by "let the greater population take care of things"? I doubt these U.S. jurisdictions have many armed home invasions.

Saw this regarding crime in Canada.

Obviously, certain neighbourhoods within a city are likely more "troubled" than others.

"Per 100,000" per capita would be the census population. Not its business day, special event, visitor etc. population.
As a result, there are always more people requiring 9-1-1 response than indicated by the residential census.

Maintaining 9-1-1 Response Times under those conditions has always been a challenge.

Here are the top 10 most dangerous cities in Canada, according to the study:

1. Lethbridge, Alberta (1,190 offences per 100,000)
  2. Regina, Saskatchewan (1,113.5 offences per 100,000)
  3. Moncton, New Brunswick (1,085.3 offences per 100,000)
  4. Saskatoon, Saskatchewan (1,043.1 offences per 100,000)
  5. Winnipeg, Manitoba (1,040.7 offences per 100,000 )
  6. Kelowna, BC (1,007 offences per 100,000)
  7. Abbotsford-Mission, BC (818.4 offences per 100,000)
  8. Greater Sudbury, Ontario (779 offences per 100,000)
  9. Thunder Bay, Ontario (775.2 offences per 100,000)
  10. Edmonton, Alberta (757.9 offences per 100,000)
Here are the top 10 safest cities in Canada, according to the study:

1. Toronto, Ontario (286.9 offences per 100,000 )
  2. Quebec City, Quebec (301 offences per 100,000 )
  3. Ottawa-Gatineau, Quebec (318.8 offences per 100,000 )
  4. Sherbrooke, Quebec (327.4 offences per 100,000 )
  5. Ottawa-Gatineau, Ontario (333.9 offences per 100,000 )
  6. Montreal, Quebec (356.7 offences per 100,000 )
  7. Barrie, Ontario (356.7 offences per 100,000 )
  8. Trois-Rivières, Quebec (366.2 offences per 100,000 )
  9. Saguenay, Quebec (396.3 offences per 100,000 )
  10. Hamilton, Ontario (420.6 offences per 100,000 )

Cities in Western Canada appear to be disproportionately represented on the least safe list.

Saw this regarding crime in Canada.

Obviously, certain neighbourhoods within a city are likely more "troubled" than others.

"Per 100,000" per capita would be the census population. Not its business day, special event, visitor etc. population.
As a result, there are always more people requiring 9-1-1 response than indicated by the residential census.

Here are the top 10 most dangerous cities in Canada, according to the study:

1. Lethbridge, Alberta (1,190 offences per 100,000)
  2. Regina, Saskatchewan (1,113.5 offences per 100,000)
  3. Moncton, New Brunswick (1,085.3 offences per 100,000)
  4. Saskatoon, Saskatchewan (1,043.1 offences per 100,000)
  5. Winnipeg, Manitoba (1,040.7 offences per 100,000 )
  6. Kelowna, BC (1,007 offences per 100,000)
  7. Abbotsford-Mission, BC (818.4 offences per 100,000)
  8. Greater Sudbury, Ontario (779 offences per 100,000)
  9. Thunder Bay, Ontario (775.2 offences per 100,000)
  10. Edmonton, Alberta (757.9 offences per 100,000)
Here are the top 10 safest cities in Canada, according to the study:

1. Toronto, Ontario (286.9 offences per 100,000 )
  2. Quebec City, Quebec (301 offences per 100,000 )
  3. Ottawa-Gatineau, Quebec (318.8 offences per 100,000 )
  4. Sherbrooke, Quebec (327.4 offences per 100,000 )
  5. Ottawa-Gatineau, Ontario (333.9 offences per 100,000 )
  6. Montreal, Quebec (356.7 offences per 100,000 )
  7. Barrie, Ontario (356.7 offences per 100,000 )
  8. Trois-Rivières, Quebec (366.2 offences per 100,000 )
  9. Saguenay, Quebec (396.3 offences per 100,000 )
  10. Hamilton, Ontario (420.6 offences per 100,000 )
Problem is all of this is bullshit when you're one of the "offences".

There are a few towns in the U.S. where gun ownership is mandatory and "stand-your-ground" laws exist... is this what you mean by "let the greater population take care of things"? I doubt these U.S. jurisdictions have many armed home invasions.
You can put that thought aside. Successive Liberal governments have said that self-defence is not justification for owning a firearm in Canada.

You can put that thought aside. Successive Liberal governments have said that self-defence is not justification for owning a firearm in Canada.
Compare gun deaths between Canada and the US, and that appears to be a sound policy choice.

Compare gun deaths between Canada and the US, and that appears to be a sound policy choice.
It's a policy statement not supported by law. There is nothing in the CCC that prevents one from using a firearm for self defence. The fact that Trudeau, Blair and Allan Rock said so does not make it law.

I'm in no way in favour of US style firearms laws and not a big fan of unrestricted civilian concealed carry, either. But both Bills C-71 and C-21 were abject failures in reducing gun violence in Canada. What they did do was reduce opportunities for lawful ownership and ensure that, within 50 years, lawful civilian ownership of handguns and semi-automatic long guns will end.

We are on the horizon of two extremes on this continent. The US's constitutionally protected almost wide open approach to legal gun ownership and the impending full firearms ban in Canada. That's one ace card Trudeau has yet to play, but has been widely discussed.

Last edited:
I doubt these U.S. jurisdictions have many armed home invasions.

Regarding home invasions in U.S. jurisdictions,

How Common Are Home Invasions?​

Statistics are a little hard to come by, mainly because there isn’t a uniform legal consensus on what constitutes home invasion. As mentioned, we understand that it typically means “someone breaking into your home while you’re in it.” Legally, however, that might be classified as aggravated burglary, or another state-specific legal term that makes compiling nationwide data difficult.

There are only seven states where “home invasion” is a legal term: Georgia, Michigan, Connecticut, Illinois, Florida, Louisiana, and Nevada. Home invasion laws have been introduced in South Carolina and Maryland. Everywhere else, they are defined more specifically through already-existing legal language.
Simply put, “home invasion” isn’t a legal term, so any statistic you find regarding them you should take with a grain of salt. For context, though, about 66 percent of the 2.5 million burglaries that happen annually take place in homes, and the vast majority of those crimes occur when no one is present. In fact, many criminologists say that the presence of an individual is one of the best deterrents to robbery. It stands to reason, then, that home invasions happen relatively infrequently.

Regarding,

Burglary rate in the United States in 2022, by state (per 100,000 inhabitants)​

As previously mentioned, when it comes to being a victim of crime,

Problem is all of this is bullshit when you're one of the "offences".

I shed no tears for person who gambles their life and loses on a life or act of crime. Perhaps if the consequences were a little more severe less would make that choice.

I don't think gun ownership should be mandatory. But I think people should take a more active role in their own safety and security and I don't think they should fear the courts for that.

Must be true if the LPC keeps saying it... five fingers, if that's what the party demands.

Both Toronto and the OPP used to have auto theft units. When I retired in 2004 the OPP unit was down to a handful of members pretty much focusing on commercial vehicle and construction equipment theft. Back then, auto theft was pretty much still a crime of opportunity/local rounder/stolen to commit other crimes; the organized, targetted, offshore market industry wasn't really a thing yet and it was considered a non-violent, insurable property crime. I can't draw a straight line but Fantino was the Chief of TPS and Commissioner of the OPP around the same time that both services eliminated their auto theft units. Maybe it was a resource issue or a philosophical decision. Juli had some pretty entrenched ideas.

Back