• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Elemental Change for Purple Trades - Reserves

George Wallace said:
Get real.  If a "hard sea" Trade was to take a callout at a Land unit, it would have to include a CT.  There are no "hard sea" Trades in an Reserve Infantry unit.

Your whole understanding of the differences between  the Regular Force and the Reserves (Air, Land and Sea) seems to be lacking.  The Regular Force is one thing, but the Reserves are three totally different things altogether.

And if you toss in the Rangers and Coats.....five.

George Wallace said:
I would like to ask the question as to whom is the SOU being billed for your wages.  If it is the Primary Reserves, and not the Naval Reserve, then I would say you are likely to be compelled to wear a LAND uniform.  If you were being paid out of the Naval Reserve budget, then I could understand you keeping a Naval DEU and other uniforms.  In the end, I would say that it is more or less dictated by whom is paying you as to what uniform you'll wear, when dealing with the Reserves.  If you were Regular Force and posted to a Primary Reserve unit, it would be a moot point, and you would not have this "identity" problem.

I will be posted to the LFAA PRL list for the duration of the contract.  As I mentioned, I don't mind wearing the daily work dress, in this case combats, as this is the uniform of the day.  But to require a complete elemental change, what happened to the "total forces" tri-service concept.  If you are a reservist, it simply does not apply?  Curiousity.  :cdn:

orca73 said:
I will be posted to the LFAA PRL list for the duration of the contract.  As I mentioned, I don't mind wearing the daily work dress, in this case combats, as this is the uniform of the day.  But to require a complete elemental change, what happened to the "total forces" tri-service concept.  If you are a reservist, it simply does not apply?  Curiousity.  :cdn:

Are you Reg Force or Reserve?

George Wallace said:
I would like to ask the question as to whom is the SOU being billed for your wages.  If it is the Primary Reserves , and not the Naval Reserve, then I would say you are likely to be compelled to wear a LAND uniform.

Not discounting your post, but see your highlighted comment, you are calling the Naval Reserve less than the Primary Reserve.  >:D
Thank you for that....respect?

George Wallace said:
Get real.  If a "hard sea" Trade was to take a callout at a Land unit, it would have to include a CT.  There are no "hard sea" Trades in an Reserve Infantry unit.

Your whole understanding of the differences between  the Regular Force and the Reserves (Air, Land and Sea) seems to be lacking.  The Regular Force is one thing, but the Reserves are three totally different things altogether.

I think I was misunderstood.  What I was trying to say is, a Naval Reg Force member, for argument sack, who is hard sea trade decides to retire and then join a Naval Reserve Unit and takes up a Class B hard sea position, is he/she now not taking a potential position away from an or ginally hired Naval Reservist.  I know that a hard sea trade person would not necessarily be looking at the army jobs unless they are looking at starting a new career.

Reserves aren't "posted" per se.

You sign a contract and agree to abide by its terms. Why not ask LFAA if you can retain the Naval DEU?

Jim Seggie said:
Reserves aren't "posted" per se.

You sign a contract and agree to abide by its terms. Why not ask LFAA if you can retain the Naval DEU?

I am posted for the two year term with a full move occuring in 3 months time.  Yes, I do have to sign a Statement of Understanding but it does not state any  where in an SOU what uniform I am to wear.  I will be paid as a Cpl (equivanlent of LS), get medical and dental, and 2 days for every 30 completed for Annual Leave.  The transfer of units has not taken place and I am obviously in no big rush to get it done.

As for the Uniform, I mentioned my concerns during the interview process with the OC and CC.  From what I understand, the CC took the matter up to the CO who wishes me to wear green. 

orca73 said:
The little problem I see with this comparison, if we take it literally, BK and MD's are to separate competeting companies.  The CF is one large company with multiple branches. 

Yet, they are all fast food joints. Now, answer the other question that I posed of you if you are so insistant that "the NavRes, the ARAF and the Army Reserves are all one big happy family" being that the pay cheque is not generating from the same payor ...

Did you tell the army unit that you wish to join that you plan on leaving them for the NavRes in two years and that's why you want to retain that Naval uniform?

If not, why not? One big happy family after all aren't they?

No need to answer; it's a rhetorical question because everyone knows the McDo's wouldn't then hire you either.  As all the entities - whether in 'direct' competetion or not want to put their own limited funding towards training and staffing pers that actually may plan on putting something back into that entity rather than their being used as one man's mere stepping stone.

LFAA PRL = Land Force Atlantic Area Primary Reserve List. (IE: Army --- we'll get that out too, just to make sure that folks understand that "Land" = Army much like "Maritime" = Navy).

Not a shad.

Good call by the CO I'd say.

orca73 said:
I am posted for the two year term with a full move occuring in 3 months time.  Yes, I do have to sign a Statement of Understanding but it does not state any  where in an SOU what uniform I am to wear.  I will be paid as a Cpl (equivanlent of LS), get medical and dental, and 2 days for every 30 completed for Annual Leave.  The transfer of units has not taken place and I am obviously in no big rush to get it done.

As for the Uniform, I mentioned my concerns during the interview process with the OC and CC.  From what I understand, the CC took the matter up to the CO who wishes me to wear green.

Wishes? No....will order you....

orca73 said:
I think I was misunderstood.  What I was trying to say is, a Naval Reg Force member, for argument sack, who is hard sea trade decides to retire and then join a Naval Reserve Unit and takes up a Class B hard sea position, is he/she now not taking a potential position away from an or ginally hired Naval Reservist.  I know that a hard sea trade person would not necessarily be looking at the army jobs unless they are looking at starting a new career.

No they are not taking anything away from a Reservist, as they are now a Reservist themselves.  Class B posns are put out to competition.  If a former Service Member, now a Reservist, beats out another Reservist for a posn, they are not putting anyone out of a job as you insinuate.  It doesn't matter if it is Land, Sea or Air.  It is one Reservist competing against another Reservist.

ArmyVern said:
Did you tell the army unit that you wish to join that you plan on leaving them for the NavRes in two years and that's why you want to retain that Naval uniform?

I think it is well understood that, when the contract is over in two years time and I am not rehired, I will return to a Naval Reserve Unit and continue looking for employment.  This may be employment within the Naval Reserves, this may be employment I find within the REO advertisements.  Just because I accepted this two year contract, does not mean I will stay permanently with this Unit.  To take this one step further, over the past 14 years I have been employed with 6 different units.  Even though I am currently on HMCS Queen Charlotte's establishment, where I was employed for a three contract, I do not think of it as my home unit.  HMCS Brunswicker will always be the unit I will return to if I cannot find Class B employment within the CF.

Therefore, I was hired with the knowledge that I may not be staying after the two year contract is over.  I was also hired because of my skills, knowledge and expierence.  Not because of the Uniform I wear.

kratz said:
Not discounting your post, but see your highlighted comment, you are calling the Naval Reserve less than the Primary Reserve.  >:D
Thank you for that....respect?

Reading in context, it's pretty obvious to me that george is asking (because of the SOU) whether this is Primary Reserve (as in PRL) or NavRes paycheque being issued to him.

It's got zilch to do with lack of respect --- but perhaps with a lack of understanding what another enviornment calls their reserve component.

Actually retired RegF pers who transferred to the SHR/SRR do take jobs away from PRes pers. Those retired pers do not have a trade that matches the allotment in NavRes, but the skills they hold are in demand. So those pers are "accommodated".

WRT to the OP's question. If this army unit has been short qualified clerk for over a year and the army can not fill the position, to the point it goes out to REO wide competition, why would a unit demand a change of uniform for those two years? It's not like the person accepting the job is trying to join the unit. They are only there do do a job and will move on to the next job offer afterward.

orca73 said:
I think it is well understood that, when the contract is over in two years time and I am not rehired, I will return to a Naval Reserve Unit and continue looking for employment.  This may be employment within the Naval Reserves, this may be employment I find within the REO advertisements.  Just because I accepted this two year contract, does not mean I will stay permanently with this Unit.  To take this one step further, over the past 14 years I have been employed with 6 different units.  Even though I am currently on HMCS Queen Charlotte's establishment, where I was employed for a three contract, I do not think of it as my home unit.  HMCS Brunswicker will always be the unit I will return to if I cannot find Class B employment within the CF.

Therefore, I was hired with the knowledge that I may not be staying after the two year contract is over.  I was also hired because of my skills, knowledge and expierence.  Not because of the Uniform I wear.

Which is it? You first stated earlier that your intent was to tx to a NavRes unit as a clerk in two years. Now you are stating that you may do that "if not rehired". <--- All the MORE reason for the CO to want you in his Unit's uniform if he's writing your cheque.

So, reading the whole of above, you may also have no intent of living up to the 2 year contract you signed either --- lovely that.

Ahhh, to be posted back in Charlottetown right now ... I know a few of them read here though.

:facepalm:

kratz said:
WRT to the OP's question. If this army unit has been short qualified clerk for over a year and the army can not fill the position, to the point it goes out to REO wide competition, why would a unit demand a change of uniform for those two years? It's not like the person accepting the job is trying to join the unit. They are only there do do a job and will move on to the next job offer afterward.

I think Kratz just summed this up perfectly for me.  I have seen this situation take place a few times.  Were a sailor will be employed for a period of time with another unit (army) and then return to their original unit.  It is simply filling in a required skill set that a unit needs.  In my case, the requirement for a full time clerk.

ArmyVern said:
Which is it? You first stated earlier that your intent was to tx to a NavRes unit as a clerk in two years. Now you are stating that you may do that "if not rehired". <--- All the MORE reason for the CO to want you in his Unit's uniform if he's writing your cheque.

So, reading the whole of above, you may also have no intent of living up to the 2 year contract you signed either --- lovely that.

Ahhh, to be posted back in Charlottetown right now ... I know a few of them read here though.

:facepalm:

There is no guarantee that the contract will be extended past the two year mark (31 Mar 13).  The Unit may choose to not fill the position again, they may want to hire someone else, I don't know what will happen in two years time.  If the Unit wishes to continue to employ me as a Class B clerk, I will stay.  If there is no Class B employment, I will look for employment else where, preferably back within the Naval Reserve world.

kratz said:
Actually retired RegF pers who transferred to the SHR/SRR do take jobs away from PRes pers. Those retired pers do not have a trade that matches the allotment in NavRes, but the skills they hold are in demand. So those pers are "accommodated".

kratz said:

Because they would be the one's writing his paycheque. Plain and simple. And, dude obviously needs the job --- else he wouldn't be taking it. The person joining the Unit is trying to get an f'n job there isn't he?

Damn, I'd wear a french maids uniform if it meant a steady paycheque.

What's the actual issue here because I see NONE; just a bunch of whining.

The Unit has their Army Clerk and is going to write that cheque out ... and the dude has his job.

If, as he keeps insisting, the uniform has fuck all to do with it, then just change it already, build a freakin' bridge and get over it. Funny that the guy saying that his uniform colour makes no difference is the only one whining when he's got what he wanted too --- he just isn't getting the uniform colour he wants. So, I guess the uniform colour really does make a difference then eh?

orca73 said:
I think Kratz just summed this up perfectly for me.  I have seen this situation take place a few times.  Were a sailor will be employed for a period of time with another unit (army) and then return to their original unit.  It is simply filling in a required skill set that a unit needs.  In my case, the requirement for a full time clerk.

You are going on the LFAA PRL. What part of "LF" do you not understand??

Back