• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Electrical Technician Navy

creasy bair

Inactive
Reaction score
Would anyone know the breakdown in training for E techs.  It states that the NETP training takes five weeks, the BOC training should last nine weeks. Is there an OJT portion before your posted to your first ship, and if so would it take place in Esquimalt and for how long.  Also are there any E Techs out there currently in the training process or that have completed initial training, that could give me their opinions of the trade.

Sorry, I heard it at the recruiting centre and spelled it phonetically. (Basic Occupational Qualification Training)

QL3 is what I had always heard it called. The Captain at the recruiting centre refered to it as Basic Occupational Qualification Training, very first time I had ever heard it called otherwise I assumed when in Rome do as the Romans do.  Are you posted posted to a ship directly after that or is there some type of OJT before your first posting.

Sounds about right to me. 

Basic Training

QL3 ~ 9 weeks

NETP ~ 5 weeks

Shipboard QL4 OJT package

QL5 @ school

A bit of a follow on to this one. I am looking at putting in my OT to NET and was wondering a few different things.

- When it comes to getting your civillian electrical ticket, does the CF training meet the requirements, or is their further civi side stuff to do to get to this level, such as apprentiship training?

- As a member of the crew, I would imagine this is a hard sea trade (thats what they call people who go to sea a lot, right? ). How long in a year do you navy types on the West Coast typically spend out on the ocean? I have no problem being away, just curious. And what are some of the places that you all go to? I guess this probably depends on ship, but just a quick over view would be rad.

Please clarify: NET was rolled into the WEng trade and ETech is altogether something different. In answer to your question re civilian equivalency (Red Seal), yes for ETech but as of today, no for WEng with NET background. I would recommend looking here:
http://nsapprenticeship.ca/credential_recognition/MilitaryEquivalentCredentials.asp
Though this is the provincial site, the program is interprovincial so these 10 trades are part of the program. You would be best to go talk to someone in the Dept of Labour for the province you are in.

Pat

chowchow1 said:
A bit of a follow on to this one. I am looking at putting in my OT to NET and was wondering a few different things.

- When it comes to getting your civillian electrical ticket, does the CF training meet the requirements, or is their further civi side stuff to do to get to this level, such as apprentiship training?

- As a member of the crew, I would imagine this is a hard sea trade (thats what they call people who go to sea a lot, right? ). How long in a year do you navy types on the West Coast typically spend out on the ocean? I have no problem being away, just curious. And what are some of the places that you all go to? I guess this probably depends on ship, but just a quick over view would be rad.

If you are looking for a trade to help you get your red seal as an Electrician, my husband is an ED Tech (air force) and after his QL 5 writes an exam for that.

Pat in Halifax said:
Please clarify: NET was rolled into the WEng trade and ETech is altogether something different. In answer to your question re civilian equivalency (Red Seal), yes for ETech but as of today, no for WEng with NET background. I would recommend looking here:
http://nsapprenticeship.ca/credential_recognition/MilitaryEquivalentCredentials.asp
Though this is the provincial site, the program is interprovincial so these 10 trades are part of the program. You would be best to go talk to someone in the Dept of Labour for the province you are in.

Pat

Oops, I meant ETech! I just thought that NET would mean Naval Electrical Tech. Thanks a lot for the quick reply and info!

mld, I am pretty set on the navy and was more wondering just what level the ETech is when compared to civi electricians and what I will be able to do after my career. Thanks for the advice though!!

Again, have a look. According to the regulations, you need to be QL5 as an ETech (They call it Marine Electrician on there-not updated yet):
[size=10pt]The Apprenticeship Training Division will approve applicants who have achieved a QL5 certification and rank of Corporal in approved military trades to write the equivalent Interprovincial Standards Red Seal Exam (Red Seal Exam).

Approved military trades:

Construction Technician
Cook
Electrical Distribution Technician
Marine Electrician
Marine Engineering Technician
Material Technician
Plumbing and Heating Technician
Refrigeration and Mechanical Technician
Vehicle Technician
[/size]

As well, here is the national site:
http://www.red-seal.ca/w.2lc.4m.2@-eng.jsp

Good Luck and let us know on here how you make out to help people in the future.

Pat

The civillian qualification that you can challenge as an E-Tech is Industrial Electrician, meaning that you will not be able to work as a construction or commercial electrician (no wiring houses for money on the side).  I believe that the Air Force Electrical Distribution Technician (correct me if I am wrong) will give you the theory and skills to write the Construction Electrician exam.

MeanJean said:
The civillian qualification that you can challenge as an E-Tech is Industrial Electrician, meaning that you will not be able to work as a construction or commercial electrician (no wiring houses for money on the side).  I believe that the Air Force Electrical Distribution Technician (correct me if I am wrong) will give you the theory and skills to write the Construction Electrician exam.

You can also challenge the Construction Electrician exam as well, though you need to do a course on the CEC first, since the Navy doesn't use CEC as a governing document. There's a few guys in Esquimalt who just recently did that - IIRC, a month of evenings and weekends for a code course, then the exam, and now they all have their interprovincial red seal in their wallets. You do have to be QL5A qualified, though.

I work in a job roughly equivilent to an ET civi side... I'm not an electrician though.

If you're looking for post-navy employment, don't panic about being or not being a journey person (Though it's still absolutely 100% worth getting if you're in a province where you can challenge the exams)

If you've got electrical training, and don't mind going to sea, people are bending over backwards to hire you. If you're reasonably competent, you'll stay employed too.

Time spent at sea depends on the readyness state of the ship you are on, deployment committments , and others.    Youcan  easily be away in excess of six months in a year..  3 to 5 five. Is a good average just with fleet exercises, training support, and other odds and sodds.  No real firm answer.      Ports depend on the coast you are on.    And the list is long.    I got to see parts of the world and places I never would have gotten to myself.  After you netp and ql3 or whatevertheycallit now, expect to be posted to a ship for your ojt/ql4 developement period.  Expect your sea to ratio to be high until you are a PO2 orr MS.  A number of fleet and training billets open up then. Enjoy the ride, make nice with the cooks, and support crew.     

With the electrical trade losing a significant amount of people in recent months, you can expect that coursing will accelerate. That being said, because the trade is so short trained employable ETechs, I wouldn't expect any kind of equality in the sea shore ratio until you're PO1+. In the CM's eyes, the trade is green and healthy. Th reality is that the good experienced guys are looking at leaving once the QL-5 course is over. It's mainly not due to the trade itself, but the poisoned atmosphere in the fleet, and the perception ( sometimes justified) that the Navy is beginning to take benefits from the members to put fuel in the tanks of the ships. I would highly recommend the trade, it's a good one. The element? Not so much.

Back