• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Election 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
RoyalDrew said:
Civic duty complete, just voted in the advance poll.

Me, too. Very, very large turnout at my advance poll in Ottawa Centre: predominately people over 40, I think, many over 60 from the looks of 'em but some young folks, too. If I had to guess: 50% 0ver 60; 35% 35-60; 15% 18-35.

Just voted at work. A common theme seemed to be members who had elected to change their electoral district in years past, still showing up in their district of recruitment.

jollyjacktar said:
They had one of the student voting organizers on the news last night, she said that about 45K students had voted this week so far.  The young are apparently motivated to vote this election moreso than in the past.  I would expect that most of their votes would be going to the left vs the right side of the coin.  Despite the engagement of the kids (and that's fantastic in and of its own), it's the old bastards like me that are going to be the armoured fist in making an impact as “Quantity has a quality all its own.” ― Joseph Stalin.  Which way the grey wave breaks ashore will be interesting to see.

Heard the same figure today ... I'm very glad to see this initiative even if, at a purely partisan level, it will work against the immediate interests of the CPC. In the mid to long term the CPC needs to ditch some of the policies and positions that are anathema to younger Canadians and adopt much more moderate, liberal social policy positions.

Just voted in the advanced poll as well. I was surprised to see how many people there were. When I got there the line up was out the door. From what I've seen I hope this means voter turn out will be a lot higher this election.

I wonder if Eric Grenier can do it again

Because the cbc poll tracker has

LPC 132

CPC 123

NDP 80

BQ 2

GRN 1

Last election he predicted the seats counts to withing 6 for each party, and nailed the bloc with exactly 4 seats.

Altair said:

LPC 132

CPC 123

NDP 80

BQ 2

GRN 1

Last election he predicted the seats counts to withing 6 for each party, and nailed the bloc with exactly 4 seats.

Well I'm very happy with those numbers. I'm really curious if Eric will be as accurate this time.

Altair said:

LPC 132

CPC 123

NDP 80

BQ 2

GRN 1

I find it interesting how, if you scroll down to the sources, that the Nanos poll is the one given the lowest weight in the average, yet it's the one that keeps getting shared around on the news and social media (probably because it comes out every night and because it usually shows the Liberals in the lead).

JesseWZ said:
Just voted at work. A common theme seemed to be members who had elected to change their electoral district in years past, still showing up in their district of recruitment.

There's away around that: don't vote by special ballot. If they don't want to vote for the district that they were in when they got recruited, they can still go vote in the riding they actually live in. They can register in advance at the local returns office, or on election day at their poling station.

It's kind of like getting the option during an election of where to vote... the one on your statement of ordinary residence, or the one you live in (since you can't change your SOR during an election which I think isn't right).

Lumber said:
I find it interesting how, if you scroll down to the sources, that the Nanos poll is the one given the lowest weight in the average, yet it's the one that keeps getting shared around on the news and social media (probably because it comes out every night and because it usually shows the Liberals in the lead).
I think* he counts nanos as a 3 day poll of 400 people, so 1200 dropping off the last day while replacing it with the newest.

I also believe he weights nanos higher due to their accuracy in the past.

*someone explained that to me, no idea if it's 100% accurate.

Lumber said:
There's away around that: don't vote by special ballot. If they don't want to vote for the district that they were in when they got recruited, they can still go vote in the riding they actually live in. They can register in advance at the local returns office, or on election day at their poling station.

It's kind of like getting the option during an election of where to vote... the one on your statement of ordinary residence, or the one you live in (since you can't change your SOR during an election which I think isn't right).

There is no option to vote locally unless you have so designated your SOR.  If you do so, it's contrary to the Elections Act.

Lumber said:

Wrong, and against the law as well.  Read the election act, specifically section 192 and 193.  They can vote in the district they reside in if they submit a SOR designating it as their riding prior to the writ being dropped.

http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts/e-2.01/page-58.html#h-76

Whoever sits as government, I hope Parliament has the sense to ratify the TPP.  More countries will join.  Eventually China will be one of them (~1.4 billion people), and probably Indonesia (~.25 billion), and who knows - maybe geography will be stretched a little to admit India (~1.25 billion).  It might eventually include at least half the people in the world. Canada needs to be part of that.  Charter membership will have advantages.

It was difficult for the parties to reach an agreement.  I suppose if any country opts out now, the remainder will still go ahead.  I also suppose that once the agreement is in force among some nations, they will essentially dictate terms to new applicants.  If Canada turns away now, we will not get more favourable terms later.  The TPP partners are unlikely to accommodate a domestic Canadian political tantrum.

The TPP is "the" election issue, although I doubt many people realize it.  In a few years none of the other FUD being thrown up by all parties is going to matter.

Just voted. Went to the advance poll at 1330 (opened at 1200). Two hundred people there for the three polls (one desk for each). Dozens walking away.

Went back at 1600, probably seventy-five there. Dozens walking away. Waited 3/4 of an hour then to Elections Canada office, 1 1/2 wait for the (ten !!) people in front of us to vote using a special ballot.

Announced to everyone in our line at 1600, free drinks at Whiskey Jacks around the corner, but nobody left.

Luckily my SOR is still Fort McMurray - Cold Lake so I was able to vote for a Libertarian... at least now I know we'll get at least one vote this election.

Here is another take on strategic voting ... Paul Dewar, NDP, Ottawa Centre is telling all Liberals that only he can ensure the CPC doesn't win in his riding. (I have heard rumours that the polling suggests that if the Liberal candidate (Catherine McKenna) is able to steal too many votes from Mr Dewar (Liberal Momentum, and all that) then there is a "danger" (to the Harper Haters™) that the Conservative (Damian Konstantinakos) could, possibly, sneak "up through the middle," and steal the seat.)

How is it that Konstantinakos would "steal" a seat if voters vote for whomever they please?

The notion of "vote-splitting" is idiocy (rhetorical sleight-of-hand, to be fair).  There are more than two candidates in most ridings.  The candidate with the most votes wins.  Nothing is "stolen" or "split"; there is no reason to characterize a LPC-supporting vote as theft of a NDP-supporting vote.

(This isn't meant as a personal attack.  The aforementioned notion poisons public discourse and should be removed from it.)

Brad Sallows said:
How is it that Konstantinakos would "steal" a seat if voters vote for whomever they please?

The notion of "vote-splitting" is idiocy (rhetorical sleight-of-hand, to be fair).  There are more than two candidates in most ridings.  The candidate with the most votes wins.  Nothing is "stolen" or "split"; there is no reason to characterize a LPC-supporting vote as theft of a NDP-supporting vote.

(This isn't meant as a personal attack.  The aforementioned notion poisons public discourse and should be removed from it.)

I actually agree with you, but those words and phrases: "danger," "sneak," "steal" and "up through the middle" were direct quotes from a friend of mine who is well plugged into one of the campaigns ~ not the CPC one.

In the case of both the Liberals and the NDP, Ottawa-Centre is "theirs" almost by right (it's only gone Conservative once in most people's memory (Robert René de Cotret held it, for the PCs, in the 1970s)) and they would, indeed, regard a Conservative "up through the middle" victory, as theft ~ almost a case of a crime against nature.  ;)

As expected, Canada's largest and arguably most influential newspaper, the Toronto Star, has endorsed Justin Trudeau as their choice to be our next prime minister.

The Star says, "Canadians are a decent, progressive people who deserve a decent, progressive government that holds out the prospect of a better and more constructive future. [and] Fortunately, when they go to the polls on Oct. 19 voters will be able to choose a strong, hopeful alternative to the Harper Conservatives: Justin Trudeau and the Liberal party. They have crafted an alternative vision for the country that deserves the support of those who believe Canada can be more generous, more ambitious and more successful."

>I actually agree with you, but those words and phrases: "danger," "sneak," "steal" and "up through the middle" were direct quotes from a friend of mine who is well plugged into one of the campaigns ~ not the CPC one.

And, on reflection, I partly disagree with myself.  When parties split or splinter, it is meaningful to talk about vote splits.  I suppose what I dislike is the characterization of the third-party beneficiary of a shift of votes from one candidate to another which allows neither to win.

Weak candidates - people lacking both policy sense and the gift of bullsh!t, or people with policy sense but lacking the ability to sell themselves - should confirm the floor of strongly aligned voters for their respective parties.  A single strong candidate in a riding should draw most of the unaligned or weakly - perhaps also moderately - aligned vote.  But if another party finds a strong candidate, the return of that party's voters to the fold is not theft.

Not knowing Dewar's riding, I'm not sure if it's a proper example; the question is this: was he the past beneficiary of voters who ordinarily support Liberals, or are NDP voters slipping away?

All I can see so far is that the anti-Harper vote has finally coalesced behind one party - as most expected it to - and has moved to the Liberals.  The NDP forgot - or ignored - that much of their support was among people who are not normally NDP voters, and got so high on the smell of themselves (polls) that they forgot to guard their tongues.  Trudeau, meanwhile, had two bars to clear: the bar of low expectations set by the CPC, and the bar of competence to be PM.  He cleared the first one via the debates; he has not cleared the second, but many voters have conflated the two.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back