• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Eight Dead at Wisconsin Hotel Shooting

Barek

Inactive
Reaction score
http://www.metronews.ca/reuters_international.asp?id=61360

Eight Dead at Wisconsin Hotel Shooting

Saturday, March 12, 2005 9:03:30 PM ET

BROOKFIELD, Wis. (Reuters) - A man opened fire with a handgun at a church service in a Wisconsin hotel on Saturday, killing seven people and wounding four before taking his own life, police said.

Four victims and the gunman died at the scene and three others died later at a hospital.

What prompted the violence at the Sheraton Hotel in Brookfield 10 miles (16 km) west of Milwaukee during a regular service of the Living Church of God in a meeting room was still under investigation, Brookfield's police chief, Dan Tushaus, told reporters.

He said the unidentified 45-year-old shooter "was either a member or somehow affiliated with the church" and that he entered the service while in session and began firing.

A woman present in the room said "I sat in front of a family that he mowed down. ... I dove under a chair. The man whose chair I dove under, he died," the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reported.

She said one of those killed was the group's minister, the newspaper said.

Police were searching the man's residence in the nearby town of New Berlin for more information.

"I have no indication of a motive at this time" Tushaus told a news conference. He said the church had been meeting at the same location for the past four to five years.

The police chief did not release the names of the victims but said the four slain at the scene were two teen-aged boys, ages 15 and 17, a 72-year-old man and a woman aged 55.

Of the seven wounded people taken to hospitals, three later died -- men aged 44, 50 and 58. Still being treated and in serious condition were a 52-year-old man, a 20-year-old woman, a 20-year-old man and a 10-year-old girl.

The denomination, headquartered in Charlotte, N.C., believes that the Sabbath -- the day of worship -- is to be observed Saturday. According to its Web site it is active in North and South America, Europe, Asia, Africa, and Australia with over 200 congregations.

The church is an offshoot of the Worldwide Church of God which was founded by American evangelist Herbert W. Armstrong in 1933.

The hotel is located near a major shopping center. Several other gatherings were taking place there Saturday, but no injuries were reported outside the meeting room.

Tushaus said he did not believe anyone else was involved in carrying out the crime beyond the man who did the shooting.

This is a very sad turn of events to see but it reminds me of an article I read on sheep, wolves and the sheepdogs that try to protect the sheep. I know this article has been linked to before but I feel it is very relavent in light of this past days tragedy. It makes me very glad I live in Canada but also aware of the need for the CF and Canadian law enforcement to maintain it's fight against wolves of all shapes in sizes.

http://www.globalspecialoperations.com/sws.html

On Sheep, Wolves and Sheepdogs
by LTC. Dave Grossman, USA (Ret)

... As a human being, you can be whatever you want to be.  It is a conscious, moral decision. If you want to be a sheep, then you can be a sheep and that is okay, but you must understand the price
you pay.  When the wolf comes, you and your loved ones are going to die if there is not a sheepdog there to protect you. If you want to be a wolf, you can be one, but the Sheepdogs are going to hunt you down and you will never have rest, safety, trust or love.

But if you want to be a sheepdog and walk the warrior's path, then you must make a conscious and moral decision every day to dedicate, equip and prepare yourself to thrive in that toxic, corrosive
moment when the wolf comes knocking at the door.

For example, many officers carry their weapons in church.  They are well concealed in ankle holsters, shoulder holsters or inside-the-belt holsters tucked into the small of their backs.  Anytime you go to some form of religious service, there is a very good chance that a police officer in your congregation is carrying. You will never know if there is such an individual in your place of worship, until the wolf appears to massacre you and your loved ones. I was training a group of police officers in Texas, and during the break, one officer asked his friend if he carried his weapon in church. The other cop replied, "I will never be caught without my gun in church." I asked why he felt so strongly about this, and he told me about a cop he knew who was at a church massacre
in Ft. Worth, Texas in 1999.  In that incident, a mentally deranged individual came into the church and opened fire, gunning down fourteen people.  He said that officer believed he could have saved every life that day if he had been carrying his gun. His own son was shot, and all he could do was throw himself on the boy's body and wait to die. That cop looked me in the eye and said, "Do you have any idea how hard it would be to live with yourself after that?"

Some individuals would be horrified if they knew this police officer was carrying a weapon in church. They might call him paranoid and would probably scorn him.  Yet these same individuals would be enraged and would call for "heads to roll" if they found out that the airbags in their cars were defective, or that the fire extinguisher and fire sprinklers in their kids' school did not work.  They can accept the fact that fires and traffic accidents can happen and that there must be safeguards against them.
Their only response to the wolf, though, is denial, and all too often their response to the sheepdog is scorn and disdain. But the sheepdog quietly asks himself, "Do you have an idea how hard it would be to live with yourself if your loved ones were attacked and killed, and you had to stand there helplessly because you were unprepared for that day?"  ...

Back