• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Effects of long term Meth use reflected on faces in mugshots

• Thread starter jollyjacktar
  • Start date
J

jollyjacktar

Full story with the mugshot photos at article link.  Not pretty changes on most of them. 

The Multnomah County Sheriff department in Oregon, U.S., has released the images in the hope that it will make children think twice before ever touching the lethal drug
Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2138407/The-faces-despair-Shocking-images-meth-addicts-reveal-devastating-effects-dangerous-drug.html#ixzz1touG58tr

Nostix said:
Google Image / Youtube search "krokodil". Obviously, not for the squeamish.
Well I did. Wow.....

and I thought crystal meth was bad.

Jim Seggie said:
Well I did. Wow.....

and I thought crystal meth was bad.

WTF WTF!! How did the person's arm in photo 4 get that way?!?!!??  :boke:  http://stopnarkotik.com.ua/obschaya/dezomorfin-posledstviya-foto/  Not for the squeamish.

Wasteland faces.
Demonic

Should go into the Zombie thread.  :D

Nostix said:
Google Image / Youtube search "krokodil". Obviously, not for the squeamish.

I wish I hadn't done that just before making supper  :boke:

Oh dear god... It's like a train wreck... You know you shouldn't look, but then you slow down and look... :boke:

Here is what Wikipedia has to say about it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desomorphine

"Krokodil"

Desomorphine attracted attention in 2010 in Russia due to an increase in clandestine production, presumably due to its relatively simple synthesis from codeine. The drug is easily made from codeine, iodine and red phosphorus,[8] in a process similar to the manufacture of methamphetamine from pseudoephedrine, but desomorphine made this way is highly impure and contaminated with various toxic and corrosive byproducts. The street name in Russia for home-made desomorphine made in this way is "krokodil" (крокодил, crocodile), reportedly due to the scale-like appearance of skin of its users, and it is used as a cheaper alternative to heroin, as codeine tablets are available without a prescription.[9] Since this mix is routinely injected immediately with little or no further purification, "krokodil" has become notorious for producing severe tissue damage, phlebitis and gangrene, sometimes requiring limb amputation in long-term users[10]. The amount of tissue damage is so high that addicts' life expectancies are said to be as low as two to three years.[11][12][13]

Abuse of home-made desomorphine was first reported in Middle and eastern Siberia in 2002, but has since spread throughout Russia and the neighboring former Soviet republics. In October 2011, indications of "krokodil" use were found in Germany, with some media outlets claiming several dead users.[14] Recently it has appeared in East European countries, like Hungary, where it's currently the habit of urban crooks[citation needed]

Thanks for the clarification Cupper.  That arm.  I'm flabbergasted that the owner could just sit there with so much damage to the thing.  I suppose if the hard users only last about 2 years it is a blessing of a sort.  I hope to god it does not come to Canada.

Pretty disturbing.  I wonder what drives people to start taking it - or any destructive drug - in the first place.  Boredom?  No prospects, no imagination that things could be better, no hope for the future...?  Sold a bill of goods by someone they wanted to impress?   

jollyjacktar said:
Thanks for the clarification Cupper.  That arm.  I'm flabbergasted that the owner could just sit there with so much damage to the thing.  I suppose if the hard users only last about 2 years it is a blessing of a sort.  I hope to god it does not come to Canada.

No it's not in Canada, and I doubt that it will be as Eastern Europe has very strange trends in drug abuse. In the meantime, we still have to deal with 19 year old kids having IV abscesses in their neck because their arm, foot and hand veins were shot. My stomach still turns at the thought of the stench of an draining abscess. That's not even scratching the surface of the downright nasty stuff hard-core addicts will put themselves through to "get well". You'll never see as many huge granulomas, phlebitis and massive hematomas as you will with a parenteral (injection) drug addict, not to mentioned collapsed and sclerosed veins.

While it was more common when Temazepam was sold in jelly capsules, the injection of temazepam with opioids (e.g. OxyContin) is relatively common, despite the fact that temazepam has poor water solubility. The end result of this injection is deep vein thrombosis, tissue necrosis and gangrene that may require the amputation of the affected limb.

It's not a matter of not hoping that something comes to Canada, it's hoping that what's already out there doesn't inflict any more harm than it already has.

Just my 2 cents.

Thanks also for the clarification BED.  I suspect that the addicts in Eastern Europe are using this crap as it is cheap compaired to other habits so to speak and once it has it's hooks in you...  I agree that conditions are not the same here in the West, and I hope that it remains so as I would hate to see it come here.  I do not have contact in my professional or personal life with our addicts so other than hearing about oxyconton etc in the news I am out of the loop.  And I hope to stay that way too. 

bridges said:
Pretty disturbing.  I wonder what drives people to start taking it - or any destructive drug - in the first place.  Boredom?  No prospects, no imagination that things could be better, no hope for the future...?  Sold a bill of goods by someone they wanted to impress? 

How about all of the above.

jollyjacktar said:
Thanks also for the clarification BED.  I suspect that the addicts in Eastern Europe are using this crap as it is cheap compaired to other habits so to speak and once it has it's hooks in you...  .

More or less yup

Well I just lost my appetite!  The fact that they know they are going to die probably in the next 3 years and don't seem to care is beyond me.......

Double yuck.

In Soviet Russia, drugs addicted to you.

Well that was absolutely lovely for just after supper. Wow.

Back