• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Eduction and work experince vs. Rank

Craig M

Inactive
Reaction score
Does a recruits education and previous work experience affect their rank once they have completed BMQ, SQ and MOC training?

I'm currently applying for 043 (Combat Eng) and with a diploma in both Mechanical Eng and Materials Eng, plus 5 yrs work experience in a engineering test lab I would like to think that I would be promoted higher than person straight out of grade 12.  

I'm not trying to sound all high and mighty it just I can't understand the logic behind this?  

Any answers would be greatly appreciated.
CM

I would think CHIMO!!! and some of the other Engineer Tp WO's here would be able to field this one better than most.

I think that if you have skills that the military wants upon joining, they might possibly give you a signing bonus and maybe an advance promotion to Cpl/LS upon completion of your BMQ?  I am not sure about trades like combat engineer.  I know this is more prevalent in the technical trades in the navy and trades like MP and Dental Assistant. 

Most likley though you will have to go the regular promotion route as every other NCM, taking the required QL courses and getting promoted within the schedule that the CF has laid out until you reach the rank of Cpl (3-4 years) where you will then be meritted against every other Cpl in your trade.

A lot of it has to do with putting in your time.

Ryan

I do not know if signing bonuses apply to all trades.  The recruiter will be able to tell you.  As for being promoted because you have education and experience, do not count on it.  Sometimes those with no experience perform better than those with experience.  A lot of it comes down to how you adapt in the military environment.  A lot of people excel in classroom environment but have difficulties with pracitical applications.  Conversely, the opposite stands true as well.  Also, leadership abilities and apptitude also count towards promotion.  If you possess acceptable military skills coupled with good leadership ability there is no reason why you should not be able to climb the ladder.  However, do not expect it to be automatic. 

Sometimes education or "eduction" as you spell it ;D compliments military skills, but it does not always count for everything.

Back