• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Education Requirements to become a MP or MPO

RUNRMAC13 said:
I know for a fact that a Criminology, Sociology or Political Science degree is necessary, since they are all inter related.

According to the recruiting website:

"To be eligible for a position as a Commissioned Military Police Officer, candidates must have an undergraduate degree from a recognised university, preferably in a criminal justice-related field."

http://www.forces.ca/html/militarypoliceofficer_reg_en.aspx

Emphasis added by me...

ballz said:
According to the recruiting website:

"To be eligible for a position as a Commissioned Military Police Officer, candidates must have an undergraduate degree from a recognised university, preferably in a criminal justice-related field."

http://www.forces.ca/html/militarypoliceofficer_reg_en.aspx

Emphasis added by me...

Exactly what they told me too. Those fields being Crim, Soc or Poli Sci. You may be able to get in with another degree, but I have yet to talk to anyone that has with anything other than Crim, Soc or Poli Sci. Has anyone else heard?

I know one DEO applicant for MPO on my BMOQ had a Math degree... I can't recall what the other had I just asked him on FB so wait out.

I have a degree in History, with an English minor... but I went the ROTP route, pre-MPAC.

Hi there, I am a 17 year old student who is very interested with a career in the military, preferably the Military Police. My main ambition was to become a regular civilian police officer, however I also want to serve my country. Now I know all of the requirements to apply as an MP, however I was just wondering about the chances of someone getting hired. Police services usually look for applicants that are involved in the community, have tons of life expirience and have a clean record; I was wondering if this also applied to the Military Police? I have not been able to access that kind of information in this section yet which is why I am asking.

Also, I had an army recruiter visit my school during a job fair and after speaking with him he told me that the competition wasnt really stiff as not a lot of people apply, however they are keen on hiring younger guys. I found this a bit strange, so I thought I would double check with a few other CF members.

Tallgeese said:
Hi there, I am a 17 year old student who is very interested with a career in the military, preferably the Military Police. My main ambition was to become a regular civilian police officer, however I also want to serve my country. Now I know all of the requirements to apply as an MP, however I was just wondering about the chances of someone getting hired. Police services usually look for applicants that are involved in the community, have tons of life expirience and have a clean record; I was wondering if this also applied to the Military Police? I have not been able to access that kind of information in this section yet which is why I am asking.

Also, I had an army recruiter visit my school during a job fair and after speaking with him he told me that the competition wasnt really stiff as not a lot of people apply, however they are keen on hiring younger guys. I found this a bit strange, so I thought I would double check with a few other CF members.
It's best to contact your recruiter.

Consider that the requirements listed on the Forces website are minimum requirements only. A person with higher qualifications will obviously be more competitive for the job, and considering the economy right now, the chances that more qualified/more experienced people are applying are greater.

Call a recruiter and find out whether there are any vacancies. You still have a few years before you'll be complete a police foundations course anyway, so the recruiting mandate may be different in a few years.

Tallgeese said:
Police services usually look for applicants that are involved in the community, have tons of life expirience and have a clean record; I was wondering if this also applied to the Military Police? I have not been able to access that kind of information in this section yet which is why I am asking.

I'm currently in in application process...  Without going into specifics, as per regulations (which is why you won't find a lot of specific information regarding the tests and interviews).  I am very confident in saying, the same qualifications that a regular civilian police force looks for, the military also pays notice to.

Good Luck

Well speaking from experience, it is not easy.  I have the green light to head to basic in November. 

Things that I have.

College diploma
Security experience
ATS Certificate
First aid and Cpr level C
Volunteer work (300 hours)
Management experience

That is what will get you in the door.  You still need to pass the MPAC (IF THEY ACCEPT YOU) which all I will say is no easy task.  Answer to your question is Yes, they look for all the same things as a civilian police force.  Look up the MP mission statement and values and you will get a sense of it.  Being 17 you have a long way to go, but goodluck.

AtEase said:
Well speaking from experience, it is not easy.  I have the green light to head to basic in November. 

Things that I have.

College diploma
Security experience
ATS Certificate
First aid and Cpr level C
Volunteer work (300 hours)
Management experience

That is what will get you in the door.  You still need to pass the MPAC (IF THEY ACCEPT YOU) which all I will say is no easy task.  Answer to your question is Yes, they look for all the same things as a civilian police force.  Look up the MP mission statement and values and you will get a sense of it.  Being 17 you have a long way to go, but goodluck.

Alright so now that we have got that out of the way I must inquire about the  Canadian Forces Aptitude Test. Is it hard and what type of questions will show up on it? Is there a certain score I must get in order to get in? Also a little off topic, but how hard (or easy) was your ATS testing?

Tallgeese said:
Alright so now that we have got that out of the way I must inquire about the  Canadian Forces Aptitude Test. Is it hard and what type of questions will show up on it? Is there a certain score I must get in order to get in? Also a little off topic, but how hard (or easy) was your ATS testing?

Tallgeese,

When we go in for the aptitude test, they make an important point in telling us that we are not aloud to reveal the content of the test.
That being said, yes the aptitude test is harder than the "pre-test" they give as an example to show you the type of questions you might have. I suggest you work on your secondary 5 maths (fractions, equations with 1 and 2 variables etc...).

As per the score you must reach... each position in the CF requires a certain score so this all depends on the trade you chose and no one here will be able to tell you what is the score you should reach.

Here are a few links concerning CFAT... if you want more info, you can use the search function.

http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/23193/post-316117.html#msg316117
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/23193.0.html

Alea

The thing about the MP trade is if you pass the aptitude test, the MPAC and have the 2 year diploma then your chances are very good of getting in. Yes they look for a lot of the same stuff as civy forces, academically speaking. I have  been to a few different bases and met a lot of new MP's in my time and they accept them quite young.  21-23 years old is not uncommon.

Alea said:
Tallgeese,

When we go in for the aptitude test, they make an important point in telling us that we are not aloud to reveal the content of the test.
That being said, yes the aptitude test is harder than the "pre-test" they give as an example to show you the type of questions you might have. I suggest you work on your secondary 5 maths (fractions, equations with 1 and 2 variables etc...).

As per the score you must reach... each position in the CF requires a certain score so this all depends on the trade you chose and no one here will be able to tell you what is the score you should reach.

Here are a few links concerning CFAT... if you want more info, you can use the search function.

http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/23193/post-316117.html#msg316117
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/23193.0.html

Alea

If you cannot tell me the exact score one must reach, would you happen to know if one applying for the MP position must have one of the higher scores?

What does it matter? Just go in and take the test like every other applicant. If you score high enough and meet the other requirements then you have a shot. If not...

I am not trying to sound harsh here, it's just that you can prepare only so much for this thing and there are plenty of folk who've taken it and gone on to join who did not have the benefit of a forum to ask a bunch of questions on. My point is that people cannot break down each and every part of the process, some of it you just have to "do".

You can also search around the forums on the MP recruiting topics for more detailed explanations of the process, as much as can be divulged.

Good luck.

Tallgeese said:
If you cannot tell me the exact score one must reach, would you happen to know if one applying for the MP position must have one of the higher scores?

;D

A little history......In the 1950's the lowest scores accepted on the Aptitude Tests left a person with only two choices for a Trade..... Piper and MP. 

What it is today, no one knows, but the prerequisites to join as an MP are a lot more demanding today than they were sixty years ago.

George Wallace said:
A little history......In the 1950's the lowest scores accepted on the Aptitude Tests left a person with only two choices for a Trade..... Piper and MP. 

Hahahahaa... It should still be that low! hehehe (JK)

No one can give you the "score" required for MP because most probably have no idea what it is.  Either you achieve it, or you don't.  Take heed to what Scott posted, make sure you're prepared for the test, not only by doing practice tests, but also by getting a good night's sleep beforehand, eating some breakfast and bringing water.

George Wallace said:

George, that reminds me of my typing course for Tfc Tech.  If you couldn't achieve the standard (15 wpm with only 3% error) you had two choices:  MSE Op or Cook.

George Wallace said:
;D

What it is today, no one knows, but the prerequisites to join as an MP are a lot more demanding today than they were sixty years ago.

Cook and Steward are the choices now.  Tallgeese do some searching and stop asking the same fracking questions that have been asked a million times here before.  Lastly, you are not going to be even able to apply to MP if you don't have Police Foundations or an equivalent so start thinking about that instead of worrying about the CFAT.

Tallgeese said:

Tallgeese,

No I can't answer you about the score you need for an MP position and as was stated by Mr. Wallace, PMedMoe and others... no one on this site can.

However, I can tell you about my personal history with CFAT.

January 2010: CFAT... failed. Why? Because I was too nervous. Simple. I got to the recruiting center for my test... and miserably failed by 2 points in the math section. Why? Too nervous and so by being too nervous didn't manage my time therefor didn't answer 6 questions. There goes my 2 points. Did I get my score? Yes... because I failed and the Captain who met with me after the test explained were I failed. You don't want to go through that. At that time there was still plenty of positions opened in my trade... by today, had I succeed with the first CFAT, I would probably be on the August BMQ in Saint-Jean.

July 2010: Second chance with CFAT...  By that time 3 words became my motto: Study (more), Patience and Relaxing. I scored high enough to be an Officer and now have the opportunity to be qualified (CFAT wise) for any trade I wish although I decided to keep my first choice of trade because this is what I want to do.
Do I know my score? NO.
They don't give you your score when you succeed. But that's fine because really, all I need to know is that I scored higher than the majority.

How did I do it? I worked on my Mathematical skills for a minimum of 10 hours a week. I eat math, slept with math and even dreamed of math at night... ad nauseam. Went through 4 math books...  and got more white hair. Not that success was not important the first time but the second time around... failing was just NOT AN OPTION.

Aim for this and only this. Work on your math, work on your English skills (if you take the English CFAT) and aim for a complete success.

Don't worry about how much you need to score, BREATH and RELAX as nervousness could be your #1 enemy ;)
You can do it!

Alea

kincanucks said:
Cook and Steward are the choices now.  Tallgeese do some searching and stop asking the same fracking questions that have been asked a million times here before.  Lastly, you are not going to be even able to apply to MP if you don't have Police Foundations or an equivalent so start thinking about that instead of worrying about the CFAT.

Yea well, I don't think my main question regarding ones chances of becoming an MP have been thoroughly answered in other threads which is why I asked. If you have no advice that will assist me, don't post and complain. As a member of the military (I assume) you should be helping people not bitching.

You should always assume you're speaking with someone who has experience in recruiting. Because the guy you just mouthed off at certainly does and I'd consider his answers pretty much the straightest dope you can get.

Think before getting all pissy.

Just a thought.

Back