• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Education Requirements to become a MP or MPO

Tallgeese said:
Yea well, I don't think my main question regarding ones chances of becoming an MP have been thoroughly answered in other threads which is why I asked. If you have no advice that will assist me, don't post and complain. As a member of the military (I assume) you should be helping people not bitching.

Tallgeese,

The simple answer here is that no-one can tell you your chances.

Firstly, you have to meet the basic recruiting standards.
Secondly, you have to meet the requirements for the trade.
You are then merited, placing you in competition with everyone else who met those requirements and placed according to your scores and assessed suitability.
Lastly, people receive offers from the merit list based on how many positions are open in the trade.

You can be number one on a merit list in a year when no positions are offered - and not get in.
You can be number ten on a merit list of 200, and only five positions get offers, and you won't get in.
You can sit at number 50 on a list of 200, and each year they recruit 5 people and 5 new people merit higher than you do, and you won't get in.
Or you can merit high enough that the available offers reach you on the list.

No-one here saw the almost complete shut down of recruiting before it happened that's going on because of changes in attrition rates and resultant requirements. No-one here knows when any given trade will suddenly start taking in large numbers of people again. No-one here can predict all the factors involved to tell you your chances - either you meet the requirements or not, and if you do, you sit on the merit list until you get a call.

There's no magic to the process.

Scott said:
You should always assume you're speaking with someone who has experience in recruiting. Because the guy you just mouthed off at certainly does and I'd consider his answers pretty much the straightest dope you can get.

Think before getting all pissy.

Just a thought.

Right!  Just what we all need.  Another "Pissy" person seeking a position of "authority". 

Ok...here are the odds. 50-50. You either get in or you don't.
Feel better?

Being 17 you have a long way to go.  As you can clearly see that you are not mature enough to have a conversation with people who are trying to help you.  Just because it is the Canadian Forces doesnt mean that any Canadian Citizen is going to be deemed a fit and acceptable candidate.  You have not acquired the basic minimum standards to apply for a Military Police position.  People here have tried to steer you in the right direction and I would suggest reading over the previous posts as many times as it takes for you to understand what point they are making. 

Again when you apply you have to consider there is going to be people with alot more experience, life skills, education, volunteer work, and motivation than you.  From now until then you have to make yourself someone who stands out as being an outstanding individual.

By the way, if you ever go into a recruiting centre with attitude, ignorance, and disrespect they will remember you and the right people will find out.  And visversa if you are polite, kind, and patient you will be remember and good things will be said about you.  Goodluck in your journeys ahead and I hope you find a career that best suits you  :salute:.

oh and your chance right now is 0%  Go to college.

I don't quite get why I'm getting all this flak from everyone here. When someone tells me to "go do some searching and stop asking the same fracking (alternative to *******)", I will tell him where to go.  I don't think I was being all pissy but I'm in no position to try and change anyones views here anyways. If I was, I do apologize and yea I need to cut my attitude if I want to make it anywhere in life let alone the military. Thank you to all the people who have helped me, you have really cleared up a few things that I was speculating about. However there is one more thing I need to know:

Is there an alternative to the police foundations diploma? I know that it is a requirement, but I prefer getting a diploma/degree in something else so that I won't have to waste my time in PF then working as a security guard if I do not get hired. A recruiter at my school told me a Police foundations diploma or EQUIVALENT was needed. 

P.S You will be seeing the name "Tallgeese" on some military base in the near future :). ahah, just kidding.

Is there an alternative to the police foundations diploma? I know that it is a requirement, but I prefer getting a diploma/degree in something else so that I won't have to waste my time in PF then working as a security guard if I do not get hired. The requirements

Tallgeese said:
I don't quite get why I'm getting all this flak from everyone here. When someone tells me to "go do some searching and stop asking the same fracking (alternative to *******)", I will tell him where to go.  I don't think I was being all pissy but I'm in no position to try and change anyones views here anyways. If I was, I do apologize and yea I need to cut my attitude if I want to make it anywhere in life let alone the military. Thank you to all the people who have helped me, you have really cleared up a few things that I was speculating about. However there is one more thing I need to know:

Is there an alternative to the police foundations diploma? I know that it is a requirement, but I prefer getting a diploma/degree in something else so that I won't have to waste my time in PF then working as a security guard if I do not get hired. A recruiter at my school told me a Police foundations diploma or EQUIVALENT was needed. 

P.S You will be seeing the name "Tallgeese" on some military base in the near future :). ahah, just kidding.

Is there an alternative to the police foundations diploma? I know that it is a requirement, but I prefer getting a diploma/degree in something else so that I won't have to waste my time in PF then working as a security guard if I do not get hired. The requirements

Once again go to the nearest CFRC and asked them the questions!  They have the documentation that lists the requirements for various trades and what is acceptable and what isn't.  Again this site is not an official CF site and does not have the definitive answers that you are seeking.  All you will get here is what someone else did and what happen to them, which may not apply to your situation. You continuously come on here and act like a spoiled brat (my words) mouthing off people who have a lot more experience in life and in the military than you.  Check your attitude now or you are going to be in for a big surprise if you ever get in the CF.  Good luck.

On behalf of PMed Moe:

Right from the Forces website:

The minimum academic requirement is a community college diploma in Law and Security Administration, Police Foundations, or a similar program from a recognised Community College or CEGEP. Related employment experience will also be considered in determining education equivalency.

As you have been told, several times, ask at the CFRC.

I was looking at the Canadian Forces website and a read that to be eligible for a position as a Commissioned Military Police Officer, candidates must have an undergraduate degree from a recognised university. I am curious if anyone can tell me if that excludes people who have taken a police foundations program at an ontario college. My buddy who is currently in basic right now seems to think that his diploma will do.

justwondering said:
I was looking at the Canadian Forces website and a read that to be eligible for a position as a Commissioned Military Police Officer, candidates must have an undergraduate degree from a recognised university. I am curious if anyone can tell me if that excludes people who have taken a police foundations program at an ontario college. My buddy who is currently in basic right now seems to think that his diploma will do.

Sigh.  If you, and your buddy, go back to the start of this topic, and also read some of the other topics here, you would have all the answers you need, to include exactly what qualifications education wise you need, what the process is like, if there are any openings, etc.  Please READ first, then ask the questions.

George Wallace said:
Sigh.  If you, and your buddy, go back to the start of this topic, and also read some of the other topics here, you would have all the answers you need, to include exactly what qualifications education wise you need, what the process is like, if there are any openings, etc.  Please READ first, then ask the questions.
George if you look a little closer at justwondering's question you will see it was about a commissioned position and not a non-commissioned position.
The first post does not address the difference at all.

justwondering said:

Is
a police foundations program at an ontario college.
the equivilant or recognized as
an undergraduate degree from a recognised university
?

My Your buddy who is currently in basic right now seems to think ?? that his diploma will do  :eek:

X Royal said:
George if you look a little closer at justwondering's question you will see it was about a commissioned position and not a non-commissioned position.
The first post does not address the difference at all.

Sorry.  I hastily thought that this was part of a longer thread that covered all these points, and posted without checking which topic I was in.  Fact is, all these questions have been asked and answered. 

Now I will put my enjoyment aside and try to make life easier for justwondering by merging several threads on his questions into one........If I miss out on any really good posts in other threads; justwondering ..... you will pay.    >:D

Looks like I have my work cut out for me, as I have had to cut his questions out of a totally unrelated thread to do the above merging.

Figured I'd add on to this thread rather than start a new one. I was considering a CT to reg force as an MP. I'm nearing completion of a degree in psychology, and am currently in Pres infantry. I'm wondering if they would accept me into that trade as a non-com with my education, given that for non-com's they ask for a diploma in police foundations. However, I have no interest in getting a commission in any trade. Anybody ever see MP's with a full on degree who did not go officer route?

And to clarify before anybody gets offended, I'm not trying to say in anyway that one with a degree might be considered too educated to be a non-com MP. Just saying that my education is not exactly what they set as the requirement, so I'm afraid they will say, 'well you don't meet the MP minimum, but you meet the MPO minimum, so you can be an MPO.'

thanks,

J

Jayell said:
Figured I'd add on to this thread rather than start a new one. I was considering a CT to reg force as an MP. I'm nearing completion of a degree in psychology, and am currently in Pres infantry. I'm wondering if they would accept me into that trade as a non-com with my education, given that for non-com's they ask for a diploma in police foundations. However, I have no interest in getting a commission in any trade. Anybody ever see MP's with a full on degree who did not go officer route?

And to clarify before anybody gets offended, I'm not trying to say in anyway that one with a degree might be considered too educated to be a non-com MP. Just saying that my education is not exactly what they set as the requirement, so I'm afraid they will say, 'well you don't meet the MP minimum, but you meet the MPO minimum, so you can be an MPO.'

thanks,

J

Based on many years as a recruiter I have never seen an applicant CT or otherwise for MP accepted without a diploma in Police Foundations or relevant experience.  I am not even sure that you meet the educational requirement for MPO.  However, your best bet is to check with your local CFRC.  Cheers.

Jayell said:
Anybody ever see MP's with a full on degree who did not go officer route?

Tons... as more students graduate from Criminology BAs, MAs, etc... and looking to get into the LE field of work, more and more are discovering the existence of a LE agency outside of Civilian policing/LE.

If you don't meet the education requirements you won't get anywhere. It's a REQUIREMENT.

MedTech said:
Tons... as more students graduate from Criminology BAs, MAs, etc... and looking to get into the LE field of work, more and more are discovering the existence of a LE agency outside of Civilian policing/LE.

The TPS website says grade 12 education, or equivalent, is required. Post secondary is "advantageous". They also place a high priority on diversity.
Sun 2009:
"Changing of the guard: Today's police force is all about diversity...":
http://www.torontosun.com/news/torontoandgta/2009/09/27/11143661-sun.html

Jayell said:

thanks,

J

I know more than 1 MP who has a University degree instead of a Police Foundations diploma, or in addition to.  There are preferred prerequisites and acceptable ones.  Obviously for MP NCM the preferred is Police Foundations or Crim degree, however the acceptable ones are listed as another college diploma such as "Law and Security" or BA in another field other then Criminology.  Psych is pretty close.  You should be good to go.

Back