• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Edmonton Thread- Merged

Taken from:  http://www.canada.com/edmontonjournal/news/cityplus/story.html?id=fa711953-2bdd-4ca0-b870-47c79de6dcf7&k=0

Yellow ribbons to mark soldiers' return (4:10 p.m.)

Amber Shortt, edmontonjournal.com
Published: Tuesday, August 08, 2006
Wives and mothers of soldiers returning home in the next few weeks will be highlighting 97th Street with yellow ribbons to welcome the men and women who will be coming back from Afghanistan in the next few weeks.

"It just shows support for the men and women coming home," said Kim Vachon, the mother a soldier still in Afghanistan.

The group will be cutting ribbons from yellow bags and putting them up on light posts along the strip at 7 p.m. tonight.

They are urging businesses and anyone who lives along the route from the airport to the CFB Edmonton to tie their own yellow ribbon out in front of their property.

The next group of about 90 soldiers will be returning home Thursday night.

They will be be among about 1,400 Edmonton-based soldiersn who will be returning home in waves over the next few weeks. And Vachon said the group will be working extra hard tonight in anticipation of their return Thursday.

"There's only two more days till those boys come home," she said.

Thanks again to everyone who helped out last night. I took a detour this morning on my way to work to have a look at our handy work in the day light, and I was quite proud. Still can't believe we got that many ribbons tied last night.  :) I'm very glad the soldiers have a welcome to come home to.

That's awesome, it's too bad Ontario isn't more like that.

I had a blast as well.  It was nice to see a bunch of people come together for such a great cause.

Booked Spice we have to get the Q's done though so whenever you are ready to do that let me know and I will come out to help and I am pretty sure that my children will come along to help as well.

Yes the prices are getting up there with BC now. 

I can take a few pics for you but I need a little more information.  How many bedrooms first off.  We have 2, 3 and 4 bedroom single homes. 

The other thing that you should know is that you wont have a lot of homes to pick from.  The vacancy rate is close to 1% if not 0% and there is a waiting list for homes.  Dont dispair though if the Q's are completely occupied there is the old Greisbach base area that has some vacany and I must say for the most part it is a really nice area, $400,000 homes are built right in the community.  The bus system is also better there.

Hey shadow cat.. we are looking at doing it tonight since the chalk comes in. Plus we need to put the flags out as well..

Take care.

http://www.canada.com/edmontonjournal/news/story.html?id=57105605-e210-4168-bd07-94b7adcd0e86&k=91738

EDMONTON - Carol Pritchard wasn't going to let her husband come home to a street empty of yellow ribbons.

Neither were her friends, neighbours and complete strangers.

"To me, that's what military family is all about," Pritchard said, as she took a break from tying yellow ribbons along 97th Street. "Every death affects all of us," she said. "It doesn't matter if you know every person.

"We're a family. We're a military family."

Well seeing as how there is such limited vacancy we would be happy with any home in Lancaster park, but we were origanally thinking just a 2 bedroom house because there is only my Wife and I and one little one on  the way. So 2 bedroom would be nice, just cause from what i have read they are a little bit cheaper than the 2-3 bedroom. Thanks for your help SC.

We live on the old military base of Griesbach and might have went a bit over board by lighting this up, but I hope the guys see it on the way home and feel it.  Congrats on the gang who ribbon'ed 97th street.  It looks awesome and makes one very proud of Edmonton's military family.  Makes you want to redefine our city slogan back to the "City of Champions".  :cdn:

Thanks CommIT

We had a great time doing it and the support we heard and felt from Edmontonians was wonderful.Take a drive on to the base we lined the entrance with Canadian flags tonight.

I was out there the other night with the ladies. It was a ton of fun and very fullfilling to do so.  We actually had people personally thank us for it!  Good on you all!

Elisha

I was watching the Edmonton noon hour news this afternoon and they had a story up on it....I must say that it looks fanatastic!

Great job to all that participated...I'm sure our heroes will love it!

No problem.  I will get the camera charged and go and take pics this weekend for you (raining right now).

Honestly there isnt necessarily much of a rental difference from some of the 2's and the 3's.  For example I have a friend that pays $615 for a two floor two bedroom and I pay $685 for a two floor three bedroom and my neighbour pays $675 for a three bedroom cape cod style.  I will take a couple of pics of the various two bedrooms and a few of the three's that I know are around the same rental range.

BTW congrats on the wee one.

By the time I got home from work this evening the flags were up and out and the streets were lined with yellow ribbons.  It looks amazing.  My street is still pretty empty Booked Spice so if you would like I can get together another evening with you, just give me some notice as I dont get onto the web very much anymore.

Thompson said:
So 2 bedroom would be nice, just cause from what i have read they are a little bit cheaper than the 2-3 bedroom.

What i meant to say was a little bit cheaper than the 3-4 bedroom......sry

Thanks for the congrats, pretty exciting times!

thanks again for your help

Some of the chalks of the guys and gals arriving home over the next few weeks have been changed to arriving at the LTF.

Wouldn't it be great if we could get a huge group of people together to line the entrance to the base and welcome them all home? I think so. So, all those who can, please bring your family and friends and come line the road with us to show our support.

Dates for the arrival at 2030 so far are: available by PM to pea, and not to be displayed on open means - pc

Post or PM me, if you are interested in joining a few of us that thought this was a good idea, and we can get this homecoming organized.

What better way to say Thank You to our troops then stand there and cheer and waive?  :cdn:

Not to highjack this thread, I was in that area in 92 for a different reason, and its sounding like its changed alot since then...does DZ Buxton still exist??

That sound like a great idear.
I was wondering i have a buddy that in afgan now is supposed to come back this month anybody know if there a list somewhere of the troop on the planes i like to find out when is cooming home.
Support our Troops :cdn:

well, for the women soldiers...

botomless men a plus  ;D

Yrys said:
well, for the women soldiers...

botomless men a plus  ;D
You do realize that the first thing anybody reading that, is to check your profile, don't you?  ;D

Back