• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Earning Loss Benefit ( ELB )

The Government announcement was vague on the details about the increase, far as I can find in reading the announcements and the bill in parliament.

There is nothing yet drafted and available from VAC following the Government announcement, most likely because the bill is still not through final reading, etc. If and when the bill passes (I think it's Bill C-12, but don't quote me), then policy will be developed/drafted and released.

BILL C-12: An Act to amend the Canadian Forces Members and Veterans Re-establishment and Compensation Act and to make consequential amendments to other Acts. It had its first reading in March.

Full text of bill here, if interested:
http://www.parl.gc.ca/HousePublications/Publication.aspx?Language=E&Mode=1&DocId=8168978

It appears to come into effect Oct 1 and yes, I'm sure it will be done for everyone automatically. You'll just get more on your end Oct pay

RobA said:
It appears to come into effect Oct 1 and yes, I'm sure it will be done for everyone automatically. You'll just get more on your end Oct pay

Thanks, this is what I was looking for.

Guess there still not getting it. This is probably a sign of things to come and really not a surprise.

Ottawa imposes unequal increases in benefits for injured veterans
GLORIA GALLOWAY
OTTAWA — The Globe and Mail
Published Tuesday, May 31, 2016 9:48PM EDT
Last updated Wednesday, Jun. 01, 2016 7:33AM EDT

The federal government is increasing the amount it pays to veterans who are so incapacitated they can no longer work, but many of those who currently make the least will get raises of just a couple percentage points while those at higher ranks will get 20 per cent more.

The unequal adjustments are part of a deliberate attempt by the Liberal government to ensure that those who are discharged from the lower ranks after being injured in the line of duty make less money than soldiers who are still actively serving.

To do that, the government will essentially demote some veterans to a rank below the one they held when they left the military – something that the veterans say is not only unfair but humiliating.

“And they are only doing it for the bottom ranks,” said Don Leonardo, the founder of the advocacy group Veterans Canada who, because he retired 20 years ago as a master corporal, will be among those affected. “Why would you pick on the most vulnerable?”

The Earnings Loss Benefit pays those veterans who are “totally and permanently incapacitated” 75 per cent of what they were making on the day they were released from the Armed Forces until they reach the age of 65.

In 2011, the then-Conservative government said no one who is entitled to that benefit would receive less than $40,000 annually, which was then 75 per cent of the salary of a basic corporal. That provided a substantial boost, especially to those who were injured in places such as Bosnia, Somalia and Yugoslavia and who were discharged at salaries far below what their successors were making as a result of significant raises in the late 1990s and over the past decade.

But for years, veterans advocates and politicians have said 75 per cent is insufficient.

The Liberals promised during last year’s election campaign to invest an additional $40-million annually to provide the permanently injured veterans with 90 per cent of their prerelease salary. It was a commitment they kept in their first budget, with changes that are slated to take effect in October if the budget legislation passes without amendments. But there is a hitch.

The Liberals say the minimum payments will be based on the current salary of a senior private, even if the disabled soldier left the military at a higher rank.

The government says on its website that this is being done in the interest of fairness. “To do otherwise,” it explains, “would mean that some veterans receiving the benefits could be making more than their comrades on active duty.”

When asked to explain why it is so important to ensure that injured veterans do not make the equivalent of serving members of the Canadians Forces, the Veterans Affairs officials did not offer a direct response. “What is of paramount importance is that injured veterans have access to benefits that allow them to focus on their recovery,” they said in an e-mail.

Those former members of the Armed Forces who were discharged at salaries higher than the $49,449 that is currently paid to a senior private – the majors, the colonels, the generals and even the high-ranking non-commissioned officers – will not be affected by the rank reductions. Their Earnings Loss Benefits payments will climb by 20 per cent under the government’s plan, which, in some cases, will amount to tens of thousands of dollars.

But those at lower ranks, the mid-range non-commissioned officers who departed the military decades ago, and the reservists who were paid by the day, will get much less.

Mr. Leonardo, who was diagnosed with post-traumatic stress disorder related to his service as a peacekeeper in the former Yugoslavia, and who makes $42,426 annually through the Earnings Loss Benefit, will get an increase of less than 5 per cent.

“If you can’t provide for your family, eventually you are going to give up,” said Mr. Leonardo. Politicians “keep talking about mental health. Well, if you can’t provide for your family, why would you even stick around. You feel like you’re not worth anything any more and they demote you a rank to private. It just gets worse and worse and worse.”

Veterans advocate Sean Bruyea said one of the harshest aspects of the government’s plan for veterans such as Mr. Leonardo is the loss of esteem.

“I know intellectually this is humiliating,” said Mr. Bruyea, a former captain and military intelligence officer who was also diagnosed with PTSD. “What’s Don’s value as a Canadian civilian now? His value is his memory of being honoured by Veterans Affairs. How do they honour him? They say, ‘We are going to demote you for no reason whatsoever other than to save money.’”

Cathay Wagantall, a Conservative MP who is her party’s deputy critic for Veterans Affairs, said she is trying to amend the budget bill to protect the lower-income disabled veterans. “I don’t have an answer for why they are choosing to do it this way,” Ms. Wagantall said of the government.

Irene Mathyssen, the NDP critic, said it is clear that the higher ranked officers will benefit the most. “And those poor guys at the bottom get very, very small increases,” Ms. Mathyssen said. “When you start to crunch the numbers, it’s Liberal voodoo.”

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/ottawa-imposes-unequal-increases-to-benefits-for-injured-veterans/article30227709/?cmpid=rss1&google_editors_picks=true

"The Earnings Loss Benefit, which replaces the income of injured veterans while they are participating in a vocational or rehabilitation program run by Veterans Affairs Canada, will be increased to 90 per cent from 75 per cent of their prerelease salary. That benefit will also be indexed to inflation."

For members participating in SISIP Manulife VOC getting the 75%, will that automatically be topped up to 90% or will the other 15% have to come from VAC?

The rumour mill says SISIP is likely going to match the 90% but won't annouce any changes until the Bill is passed and made law.

Where the money comes from I don't know.

http://www.veterans.gc.ca/eng/news/vac-responds/just-the-facts/earnings-loss-benefit

'Recent reports suggest that the Government is shortchanging Veterans with proposed changes to the Earnings Loss Benefit (ELB). I would like to correct some misinterpretations of the improvements we delivered in Budget 2016.

Our budget allocates $5.6 billion to improving Veterans’ benefits. Out of this $5.6 billion, $2.6 billion was allocated to increasing the Earnings Loss Benefit from 75% of a Veteran’s pre-release salary to 90% of that salary. Every ELB-eligible Veteran will receive more as a result of these changes.

The Earnings Loss Benefit is a temporary measure that provides financial security to injured Veterans undergoing rehabilitation as a result of a service-related injury. It is but part of a suite of benefits available to facilitate a successful return to work outside the Canadian Armed Forces. When an injured Veteran is deemed permanently unable to work, other supports are also available—including the Career Impact Allowance—which compensates for the loss of potential earnings.

No Veteran will be, or has been demoted to a rank below the one held when he or she left the military. In some cases, they will receive more than 90% of their pre-release salary. Changes in Budget 2016 mean the minimum Earnings Loss Benefit payable will be $44,496 per year. Veterans will get 90% of their pre-release salary, or the minimum, whichever is greater.

The Earnings Loss Benefit is not provided in isolation. Veterans receive a holistic suite of services and supports, including the Career Impact Allowance and Disability Allowance—benefits that were also significantly increased in Budget 2016 by $3 billion. Veterans Affairs Canada also pays for physical rehabilitation, vocational retraining and counselling for medically released Veterans. Veterans receive these supports as they focus on recovery, wellness and finding a new purpose.'

I have a confusing question for this. While under LTD from SISIP manulife, the current formula is 75%. The 90% top up is suppose to start in October 2016. But I can't seem to get a straight answer from SISIP or VAC where the extra 15% is coming from. From my understanding the amount from SISIP through LTD is 75% and the extra 15% will come from VAC. Both VAC and SISIP Manulife have refereed me to each other to get an answer. Either the information isn't distributed to the companies and it's going to be a real shit show come October, or both sides are still working out the details and don't want to say anything.

It seems pretty bad, 3 months out and nobody has a straight answer.

That's the big question is will those under SISIP see 90%? And I don't think anyone knows the answer yet. A few months ago I saw Veterans groups asking the government for clarification on this I believe it may have been the Veterans Ombudsman asking. They never got an answer at that meeting.

I guess we will see what happens come October. Do make sure you are ELB elegiable and have applied for it even if under SISIP as that may be the key to receiving the top up or not.

I was wondering if SISIP doesn't make any changes wrt to ELB 90% but VAC gives 15% to those who are ELB elegiable but on SISIP would SISIP be able to claw back your LTD by 15% saying your making more than 75%?

Yeah I think its going to be a cluster come  October either way, and may take several months to sort out.

My understanding is while under Sisip LTD any extra income you make is clawed back at 50%. Until you hit 100% of your pre release salary. Then it is clawed back at 100%.

It won't go over well if they claw back half of that extra 15% if VAC is paying it.

I honestly don't see Sisip LTD paying the 15% because their program is an insurance based which we all pay into. It's hard to make insurance based benefits increase without increasing premiums for every current member.

SISIP LTD needs to just go away and die. A private corporation should not be depended upon in the delivery of basic financial benefits to veterans.

Brihard said:
SISIP LTD needs to just go away and die. A private corporation should not be depended upon in the delivery of basic financial benefits to veterans.

I kinda agree with this. Although I'm having a good experience over all with SISIP LTD, not without issues though.

I don't really understand the true benefit as there is a lot of double coverage between SISIP LTD and VAC with benefits. So from the outside it looks like we are paying premiums for a program we already have covered under the Veterans Charter.

With that said though, they are much easier to deal with than VAC, you get answers much more quickly (a day or a few days, vs Weeks or Months).

Hi everyone!

There has been a lot of talk regarding the increase coverage for LTD eligible member (from 75 to 90 % coverage).  This bill has yet to be finalize in parlement but should be ready by Oct 1st of this year since it has passed two consecutive reading in parlement.
Now, the question remains... Who will pay for this increase?  Sisip or Vac?  Well, if you look at the recent 20% increase SISIP disability cost on your pay stub (this represent a few dollars since July 01st - for example a Cpl would see is monthly cost go from app. 8$ to about 9.50$) it seems to indicate that SISIP will cover that increase.

Now ... Why did SISIP disability cost go up by exactly 20% ?  Well, if you increase the coverage of LTD from 75 to 90 % it represent a 20% increase in benefit.  The formula to calculate this is 75% (or 0.75) x 1.2 (20 % increase) = 0.9 or 90% .
I think that SISIP knows that the increase benefit to veteran will cost more money in the future.  By increasing their premium three months ahead of time, they are ensuring that they will be able to cover that increase.

Well, this my theory since it all has to be confirmed but the number sure add up. :salute:

The bill has passed. It was introduced as C-12, but it got moved into C-15 (I think) and it's now passed.

Sooooo My Vac Acct now shows the payment for ELB  that will be deposited October 28th under the 'current benefits' window and it's no different. The same amount Ive gotten every month this year.

Thought the bump to 90% was supposed to take effect October?

RobA said:
Sooooo My Vac Acct now shows the payment for ELB  that will be deposited October 28th under the 'current benefits' window and it's no different. The same amount Ive gotten every month this year.

Thought the bump to 90% was supposed to take effect October?

Rob shoot them a message about it and let us know what they have to say. I'll be interested to know. Perhaps because it doesn't take effect till Oct 1st the changes won't show until then.

Just got an update from VAC, so looks like as expected, VAC will be topping up the 75%.
On October 1, 2016 several changes to the Earnings Loss Benefit will come into
effect as a result of proposals included in the 2016 Budget. These changes
include:

• increasing the Earnings Loss Benefit from 75% to 90% of recipients' adjusted
military salary at the time of release, resulting in a minimum total annual income
of $44,496.00, including income from other sources; and

• fully indexing military salaries to reflect actual cost of living increases.

We are pleased to inform you that we will begin re-calculating your Earnings Loss
Benefit as soon as the new rules go into effect on October 1, 2016.

• If you are currently in receipt of a monthly Earnings Loss Benefit payment,
we already have the information we need to re-calculate your benefit under the
new rules. We will advise you of any changes to your benefit amount beginning
with your October payment.

• If you are eligible for the Earnings Loss Benefit, but not currently in receipt
of a monthly payment, we will contact you in October with further instructions
regarding the information we need to calculate your potential benefit under the
new rules.

If you have questions, please call us toll free at 1-866-522-2122.

I got the same letter, so that's good news.

Incidentally, for anyone interested, I've calculated my own, and I'll get an extra $464 after taxes per month. I got out as a cpl 3.

From the CAF:
CANFORGEN 161/16 CMP 078/16 191402Z SEP 16
COVERAGE DIFFERENCES BETWEEN CAF AND LONG-TERM DISABILITY AND VAC EARNINGS LOSS BENEFIT
UNCLASSIFIED

1.  THE PURPOSE OF THIS CANFORGEN IS TO MAKE CANADIAN ARMED FORCES (CAF) MEMBERS AWARE THAT AS OF OCTOBER 1, 2016 THE CAF LONG-TERM DISABILITY (LTD) PLAN AND VETERANS AFFAIRS CANADA S (VAC) EARNINGS LOSS BENEFIT (ELB) WILL BE CALCULATED DIFFERENTLY

2.  THE CAF S LTD PLAN AND VAC S ELB BOTH PROVIDE VETERANS WITH INCOME SUPPORT BENEFITS. VAC S ELB WILL INCREASE FROM 75 PERCENT TO 90 PERCENT OF A VETERAN S PRE-RELEASE SALARY. THIS VAC ELB BENEFIT WILL BE INDEXED SO THAT IT KEEPS PACE WITH INFLATION

3.  CAF LTD WILL REMAIN AT 75 PERCENT AND EXISTING BENEFITS WILL NOT BE AFFECTED AND REMAINS AMONG THE BEST LTD PLANS OFFERED IN THE COUNTRY. THEREFORE, IN ORDER TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THE ADDITIONAL BENEFIT, CAF LTD RECIPIENTS MUST APPLY TO VAC. EXISITING CAF LTD CLIENTS WILL BE PERSONNALY CONTACTED BY MANULIFE ABOUT THE PROCESS TO BE FOLLOWED

4.  ALL CAF MEMBERS ARE STRONGLY ENCOURAGED TO LEARN MORE ABOUT THE RANGE OF CARE, COMPENSATION, AND FINANCIAL BENEFITS AVAILABLE TO THEM SO THAT THEY CAN MAKE INFORMED DECISIONS ABOUT WHAT BENEFITS PLAN OR PROGRAM WILL BEST SUPPORT THEM AND THEIR FAMILIES UPON BEING RELEASED

5.  THE CAF AND VAC ARE TAKING STEPS TO SIMPLIFY FINANCIAL BENEFITS, FILL THE GAPS, AND ADDRESS THE BENEFITS THAT ARE NOT FULLY MEETING THE NEEDS OF RELEASING CAF MEMBERS AND VETERANS. WHILE WE HAVE BEGUN IMPORTANT WORK ON MANY INITIATIVES, WE RECOGNIZE THERE IS MUCH MORE TO BE DONE, AND WE WILL CONTINUE IN OUR EFFORTS TO MAKE IMPROVEMENTS

Back