• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

ear protection

FormerHorseGuard

Reaction score
i have wondered about this for a while so time to ask
do the troops overseas wear ear protection dring firefights?

just curious...we had to wear them on the ranges to stop hearing damage.
just curious

Hi,

What kind of ear protection are you refering too? Formable orange ones? Lets note that these are not recommened for implsive noise such as gun fire.

It really depends on the guy and the organization. As far as I know there is no theater policy about ear pro, I could very easily be wrong though. I know some guys use electronic muffs like peltors. I personally use surefire ep3 plugs.

It all depends on the situation, if I was planning on firing my weapon IE zeroing then yes. If it was an unplanned thing IE on the receiving end of mortar fire then no I did not.

I put them in for ranges, didn't have time when rounds were coming down range for obvious reasons.. unless you wear your ear pro at all times then chances are you won't have the plugs in.

I wore mine any time we were on the move in the vehicle... and even for some dismounted stuff. 
But, that was a personal choice. There was no SOP for it.

PhilB said:
I personally use surefire ep3 plugs.

How did they work out for you, I have a pair but haven't used them while shooting yet...

I really like them. I used them on the BTE like Piper is saying, basically in all the time. I can hear people talking, even in the back of the LAV no problem but they do a good job of blocking loud shooting noises. They are secure and comfortable, in fact I forgot I had them in most of the time. For the price I think they are hard to beat.

I have a pair of Gunfenders from my previous life, and they fit the bill very well (not that I'm expecting to be in a firefight anytime soon). They rock at the range - I can actually hear all the range commands clear as day, and the plugs are designed to block high impact noise. At one time they were issued by CQ, but then the supply dried up (mid '90s). I don't know if they were replaced with something else or someone said "Wholy crap! For the price we're paying, we could pension off a few people (for hearing loss) instead!"
I didn't know about the surefires, I'm sure they are great, but I've got the 'fenders and I'm happy with them.

What did you say?,... EAR PLUGS?!,... Who needs them! And speak up will you, I can barely hear you!

PhilB said:
It really depends on the guy and the organization. As far as I know there is no theater policy about ear pro, I could very easily be wrong though. I know some guys use electronic muffs like peltors. I personally use surefire ep3 plugs.

Im sure someone has written a policy, but whether it can be applied practically ouside of a formal firing range situation is another question...

CF H Svcs Gp Policy and Guidlance  Hearing Conservation program 4440-08

schart28 said:
CF H Svcs Gp Policy and Guidlance  Hearing Conservation program 4440-08

Schart28, could you post that policy or at least the highlights for those of use without the access to it?

Thanks,
Ben

Some interesting facts, but I dont see any 'guidance' or 'policy' as to how to reduce hearing damage... perhaps its the wrong link?

Regarding the facts, I would disagree with how low the Int Op category is... it would apply to the guys driving a light table, but there are quite a few Int trade guys out there hearing just as loud a noise as anyone else on a regular basis, especially those attached to operational air and ground units.

And I would definately disagree with how low the Infantry guys are on the list!  They should be in the High Prevalence group at the least...

I agree that there is not much guidance from that ref.

Looking at it (with my aluminium mess tin memory), it seems to be the same as when I first saw such a list 25+ years ago.  Some explanation:  there are only two categories shown, the "Highest Prevalence Group" and "Next Highest Prevalence Group".  They refer to groups who have measureable hearing loss (went to a lower H factor) and not the circumstances of noise in the usual workplace of the individual occupations. The occupations within the groups are listed alphabetically and the order within the group should have no relationship to the percentage of individuals with NIHL in a particular occupation.  I also wonder if there has been a change in the groupings since I first saw it, it doesn't appear so.  Back then a lot of the data was based on members who had served during the 50s and 60s when hearing conservation was not as high a priority.

There are usually two questions asked about the list.  (I asked both many years ago)

Why is 'Cook' in the highest group?  That is explained by the asterisk.

Why is Infantry Officer in the highest group and Infantryman in the lower group?  As was explained to me, several factors may be at play but these factors were not conclusively proved.  Some of them were; Infantry officers may be exposed to longer periods of gunfire noise because they may be employed as range safety staff and thus may be subjected to firing noise of more range serials than men.  In the days before strict adherence to hearing protection regulations on ranges, officers had fewer superiors who would enforce earplug wearing on them; men did not have as much latitude to not wear hearing protection.  Some of the Infantrymen who had NIHL are the reason for the asterisk to Cook.

Back