• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Drug Use and the Military

meffers

Inactive
Reaction score
I have been wanting to enlist for a number of years now but have only taken this venture seriously within the last year or so, but I am apprehensive about it.  I have written my CFAT and according to the recruiting officer, had done quite well and I have firmly set in my mind my 3 options for a job. But I won't to go any further in the application process because of my former regular use of marijuana.  I have been clean for some time now, but am worried that because of my history I will not be viewed as an eligible candidate.  I plan to be upfront with my history if asked about it as I see there is no point in avoiding or lying about it. On the application form they require that you list your 3 previous employers, and I was fired from the job I had before the one I have now because of my use.

What I want to know is

How will this effect my future in the Forces (should I have one)?
If there is anyway that I could 'redeem' myself or in a way prove that I am committed to sobriety for the sake of my future?

I used to smoke pot fairly frequently when i was young.  Just don't bravo sierra the people at the RC.  IF pot is all you did, and you no longer do said drug, you should be ok.  I did a blood test.  No biggy.  Only a problem if you try to be sneaky.

I was honest and said I smoked a bit of pot in high school. If smoking pot once was grounds for barring you from military service over 60% of Canadians would be ineligible.

Back