• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Drug Testing For TF 1-07

Lager and Ale said:
you know...I just don't get it!  It just don't make sense! 
I had Intel about something that was well published in the Fredericton area, a week before the rest of Canada, both in the  local media, and yeah, sure scuttle-butt, and for the most part I'm getting slammed????... You don't got to be a bloody rocket scientist to put 2 and 2 together!  I got eyes, ears, I read the newpapers...I figured this military community mayyyyy just want to know, in way of a head's up. 
I'm F****ING sorry!  I was obviously wrong!

J  :rage:

Get over yourself. The actual results have yet to be made available to the public by the CoC. They will be released when they see fit, this is not the place for the "actual" goods to be released. Get it yet? And gee...those Fredericton publications that I get....seem to not be giving any results either...other than those they hear as gossip and speculation.

You don't have any intel (most of all any "intel" from the Gleaner et al) that serving members haven't heard already.

Most likely a army wife from a unit not involved overheard someone who isn't in the army talking about something and reported to the Fredericton news.I have started rumors around work just to see how far they would go (telling my buddies of course).We would tell a tpr "jimmy" and he would spread that stuff like wildfire.Something like "hey jimmy we got next Friday off" would turn into "we got a 4 day long weekend because the CO See's how hard were working".

I'll wait till I hear numbers/types of drugs found before I lose my mind on the topic.

Until then its rumint.

As there is no official response from DND about this, one would assume that they are weighing all the information and taking into consideration the character of those who have made the biggist mistake of their military lives.

I seriously doubt that this to be true for a vast majority but lets assume these soldiers have been doing drugs since the beginning of training. Would not the use of drugs be evident in the performance? If their performation was not below TF standards why would DND assume that it would be now?

I am sure it was a one time experience for some of these soldiers but the timing of this first time use of drugs could not have been worst.

Don't get me wrong, I do take issue with soldiers using drugs. DND has to find a balance between maintaining the integrity of the TF and showing an effort to retain those soldiers within the military family that deserve a second chance. Personally, it would be DND's loss if that effort is not made.

Those soldiers that are serious about their chosen career most likely have been beating themselves up inside over this. It will haunt them for the rest of their lives. What will really tear them up inside is not having the opportunity to prove that they are better soldiers then 4oz. of piss.

1st time or 1,000th time, it's all the same. Anyone busted for dope KNEW, well before they dropped that 'E', injected that 'roid, or toked that fatty, that it was ILLEGAL. They chose to ignore CF regulations, and Canadian Law. No mercy, no excuses, no exceptions, no tour.

Life is so simple when you look at things as only being black or white.

paracowboy said:
1st time or 1,000th time, it's all the same. Anyone busted for dope KNEW, well before they dropped that 'E', injected that 'roid, or toked that fatty, that it was ILLEGAL. They chose to ignore CF regulations, and Canadian Law. No mercy, no excuses, no exceptions, no tour.

+1

GUNS said:
Life is so simple when you look at things as only being black or white.

::)

Life is so simple when you only pick and chose what to look at.

+2

They can smoke all the dope they want flipping burgers at Mickey D's...  Not in my vehicle, not in my trench, not on my staff.

It really isn't any huge suprise that this has happened.  The CF has been preaching its drug policy for a looooong time (to limited avail.  Hell, I remember Lahr, it being an almost monthly occurrence)...But zero tolerance has to be maintained!!!  Even the fact that DND is considering rehab for these "individuals" bugs me!
In to-days society of transparency, I can't help but think  that the 'old days' of handling it 'out behind the shed' or "handling it internally" just won't wash!  If the guys are caught, then they have to pay!!! Its as simple as that, IMHO :cdn:

Attention members of the Media:

some of you, and you know damn well who you are, have been attempting to circumvent the Military iin gathering info on this particular subject, by soliciting via pm.

It stops. Now.

I get one more complaint, and you are banned, and will be reported to your employer, and the PAFF O.

Show some integrity. Look the word up, if you have to.

I've been PMed in the past by reporters snooping for info, it's garbage. Personally I'd rather army.ca not turn into a resource for the media, too bad we don't have a zero tollerence rule about that here.

Flawed Design said:
I'be been PMed in the past by reporters snooping for info, it's garbage. Personally I'd rather army.ca not turn into a resource for the media, too bad we don't have a zero tollerence rule about that here.
report 'em to us. Dirty tricks like that are against the rules, and these slimy sonsabitches know that. They don't go to troops directly, they have to go through the PAFF O office. When they do, they get all the cooperation the PAFF O can supply. Same here. When they contact Staff or the Owner, we'll hook 'em up with all info we can, as long as it doesn't violate OPSEC or Regs.

They try end-runs around the rules, they get punted, reported to the PAFF O nearest their hometown, and their editor gets a complaint.

That goes for everyone. When approached by the media via pm, let us know. They're breaking the rules, and they know it. Carrion-feeding, sensationalistic scum-bags will not be tolerated on this site.

They show integrity, cowboy up, and play it straight, they get respect and assistance. I think we've had exactly 2. Shows you the kind of personality that goes into that profession, I guess. Since they're liars and sneaks, they assume that everyone they deal with is dishonourable, just like them.

Was contacted by " topher" who says he is a reporter. He was looking for info on TF 107.

thanks GUNS, was it recently? 'Cause he should be banned, unless I screwed up somehow. (Which is entirely likely. As we all know.  :-[ ::) )

Teddy Ruxpin said:
+2

They can smoke all the dope they want flipping burgers at Mickey D's...  Not in my vehicle, not in my trench, not on my staff.

Totally agree with Teddy Ruxpin and Paracowboy.

I think that TF 1-07 is far better off knowing now who they obviously cannot trust. There will be other incidents (not necessarily drug-related) once they are in theater that will cause problems for the TF, and may require admin or disciplinary repatriation. It is better to get rid of drug users BEFORE you go over, not once you are there. The availability of marijuana and hashish is staggering, and is a huge temptation for some people.

Yes, people make mistakes. Yes, there could be first time users caught up in the testing who will never use again. That's fine, follow the admin and disciplinary procedures and retain them (or not) in Canada to give them another chance. If they "straighten up and fly right", proving themselves trustworthy  they can be considered for another tour in the future.  But I will tell you right now that if it was me in charge, there is no way on God's green Earth I would take a proven drug user into theater. The very idea that you cannot trust the men to your right and left is abhorrent to me.

Can you imagine someone toked up, thinking that they were not going to be needed for ops and then being put on QRF and rolled out for an emergency? Do you really want a stoner protecting your back?

It might seem harsh to immediately boot people off tour, but previous posters are right: Deployed operations are not the place for second chances for drug users.

My 2 cents

paracowboy said:
thanks GUNS, was it recently? 'Cause he should be banned, unless I screwed up somehow. (Which is entirely likely. As we all know.  :-[ ::) )

He contacted me on 31 Oct.
Did a 411 on the number - info was not available.

thanks, GUNS. He should be gone, now.

For future reference, this guy is persona non grata with mil pers in LFWAA. He's got a rep for sliminess.

I agree 100% with peoples feelings towards soldiers and drug use.

My point is Canadian Law/Military Law is harsh on soft drugs(pot) and easy on alcohol. If you are going to test for drugs, you should also test for alcohol.

Who would you be more comfortable with, a person who smoked pot once in their life and got caught or someone getting over the DT's. Its a no win situation.

Alcohol is part of military life not as much now as years ago but still a part. There are more alcohol related deaths in Canada than drug related deaths. If you want to control drug use in the military then control the alcohol.

If you use TF 107 as a barometer for the rest of the CF than 5500 to 6500 soldiers could possibility test positive.

All this sucks for the military, this drug crap is not needed for the CF right now. I am totally disgusted over the whole affair.

I do think that in hindsight, DND should forego these mass drug tests and resort to individual random testing on a daily routine. It is easier to deal with one person than hundreds.

I have donned my flak vest for this one.

APOLLOVet,

You are the rare individual who writes exactly as he speaks.  Notwithstanding the fact that I happen to completely agree with you on the subject of those who do not take their oath of service seriously, I find it personally hilarious that as I read your words a mental image invariably forms which looks exactly like you. 

To write as you actually speak is a talent that I have yet to master.  I'm not yet sure if you are an orator of uncanny skill, or a writer with outstanding oral skills.  Mayhaps one and the same.

Sorry to get off-topic.  At the end of the day, the mental image of you that I draw from your writings is horrific.  Accurate, but horrific nonetheless.  ;) 

Mark C said:
Sorry to get off-topic.  At the end of the day, the mental image of you that I draw from your writings is horrific.  Accurate, but horrific nonetheless.
+1.

Althuogh it isn't EXACTLY as he speaks. He didn't cuss once in any post yet!

Thanks gentlemen,

I am trying that whole "kinder and gentler" thing. Not liking it so much yet.

In truth, the reason that I don't curse in the posts is that if I actually wrote in the same manner that I spoke, I would be dismissed as a raving lunatic. This way, at least, when I get dismissed as a raving lunatic on the forums it is because of my views, not the manner in which I express them.

Back