• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Drivers from Small Town

Proud Dad

Subscriber
Inactive
Reaction score
Hello Troops

Thank you to Admins for the opportunity to peruse these extensive boards, I will browse here regularly since it is the best site I have encountered since my Son enlisted 2 years ago.  I have searched the forums for the following, but couldn't find anything relative.
    I am wondering about the Per Capita rate of enlisted for the various geographical areas of Canada. We are from a small town in Northwestern Ontario (not sure if detail is permitted) with a population of 3600 at last count. Currently on active duty from here are 13-15 soldiers in various branches of CF, and at least 3 more in Basic Training at this moment, that seems like a high ratio. One of those is rather high rank and could possibly have been an influence for several others to join, simply by having a successful career and being a positive role model.  Another unusual stat, currently in theater in Afghanistan there are 3 Armored Crewman from this town, one is my Son, and all 3 drive Leopards. That is a low percentage stat for sure.

I wonder if there are others of you from small towns with high per capita amount of troops. Would like to read some of those stories and what inspired you or set the trend in your town.

I posted in this because of the 3 currently driving tanks, Admin could move it to another forum if req'd.
    Thank You

An interesting question.  I think that quite often it is the rural areas of Canada that have the higher recruitment rates.  The larger metropolitan areas have so many other distractions and a larger variety of job opportunities for young people.  Years ago, the Government nearly killed the Militia/Primary Reserves when it closed down many of the Units located in smaller communities. 

I also think that what you are seeing now is not a long term trend, but a cyclic one.  You'll often see that in Recruiting across the country.  Some years there is a great interest in the CF, then none, and then a few years later an interest again.

I think you have made a very relevant point, with the role model example.  A senior, and successful, member of the CF can have such an affect on those from his home town. 

Just heard on the news that 102 recruits were sworn in yesterday in Nova Scotia. Defense Minister Peter MacKay was there to make a speech, that would have been a nice ceremony to attend. Hopefully 80 or more stick with it through BMQ.

My home town is only 1000 +/-, and like yours we have a high number of active RegF and PRes. At last count there was 5 Navy, 0 AF, 15 Army (2 drivers I beleive) RegF, and 5-6 NRes, and some 20-25 PRes Army. So we have a ballpark figure of 50 persons in uniform as well as another 15-20 that are seriously considering joining or are in the recruiting process. All told that could give my tiny town 7.5% of its population to service in the military.

Wow Prom...that is very high enlisted. Truly a Military town, I'm sure your citizens are quite proud.

Although I'm not surprised by the numbers coming out of Marathon, I'd hardly call it a "military town."  Man years ago, Marathon had a composite company of LSSR very similar to Geraldton.  Eventually, these numbers dwindled to below section level resulting in the absorption of the companies.  Reservists were left going up to Thunder Bay for work and training. 

I've found larger population centres to be responsible for the majority of recruiting.  During my employment and training, the majority of candidates came from centres of 50k and up.  I think I can count on one hand how many troops I've worked with who come from towns as small as I do.

I am seeing now after more research that the numbers are only inflated as we see them locally, but not really all that high when compared to other places (Like Proms town)

Not sure how many Leo drivers are in Afghanistan currently, but having 3 of them from the same small town must be unusual. From what I read on these boards, they certainly are lucky to have such first class equipment.

Back