• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Drill (Parade) in FFO

Oldgateboatdriver said:
However, I stand by the fact that the logic proposed by Remius doesn't cut it.

My theory does not imply that actual logic was used in this decision...but as long as they had a good time.  I've never seen colours marched on in ffo before, or even just combats.  Hurts my eyes.

Just a minute.  If the RRC was just granted Freedom of the City, it means when they entered the square they would have had bayonets sheathed.  Only after being granted freedom of the City would they be entitled to fix bayonets.

I'd love to have seen the drill to fix bayonets, drawing it from the chest...

http://ctv.news/wSXddMb

Looks like the uniforms are right out of the jar. 

Chris Pook said:
http://ctv.news/wSXddMb

"...from the Moss Park Armoury to Nathan Phillips Square.."  ???
00:27

That's only about 1 km., ( if the news report is accurate ).

dapaterson said:
Just a minute.  If the RRC was just granted Freedom of the City, it means when they entered the square they would have had bayonets sheathed.  Only after being granted freedom of the City would they be entitled to fix bayonets.

I'd love to have seen the drill to fix bayonets, drawing it from the chest...

They already had Freedom of the City granted, they were just exercising their right.

City of Toronto to affirm The Royal Regiment of Canada's Freedom of the City
. . . The Royal Regiment of Canada, an Army Reserve Regiment based at Fort York Armoury, was granted the Freedom of the City on its 100th anniversary in 1962. On Sunday, May 15 at noon, the Regiment will affirm this privilege and march into Nathan Phillips Square.

At the 0:12 mark the RRC appears to be passing under the gates of the CNE, which if memory serves is closer to Fort York than Moss Park.

Chris Pook said:
At the 0:12 mark the RRC appears to be passing under the gates of the CNE, which if memory serves is closer to Fort York than Moss Park.

Yes, it shows them at FYA and the Princess Gates heading for Strachan Ave. Probably just the reporter got a little confused.

mariomike said:
"...from the Moss Park Armoury to Nathan Phillips Square.."  ???
00:27

That's only about 1 km., ( if the news report is accurate ).

I once participated in a Freedom of the City in Fredericton where our FUP was approximately 500m from the dias and reviewing stands.  We marched a very circuitous route taking us westwards away from the FUP, northwards along the waterfront, back to the east and then south onto the main drag again through downtown (changing arms on the march as we went).  Did the parade which granted us The Freedom of The City, then marched the route once again with bayonets mounted.

Beat the hell out of all the practices for the parade ... forming up at B6 MSA in Gagetown, drawing weapons then marching to the Camp Argonaut Parade Square for the practices, then back to the MSA again after the practices were done ... every day for a week.  4+km round trip just to get to the practices.  Let's just say that the troops were very adept at changing arms on the march after a mere Day 2 ...

If they marched from FYA to NPS, the traffic congestion along the parade route must have been severe.
The reason I say that is because the entire Gardiner Expressway was shut down for spring maintenance that weekend - including the demolition of the Dowling Ave. bridge.
The City had been warning motorists to brace themselves for the closure since February.

This parade is an absolute @#$%^&! travesty.  And Jesus wept...

Back