• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Dreams

StevenPreece said:
When I first delved into the world of the ninja I thought a lot of things were hocus pocus.  However, the deeper I've looked the more I've learnt and the more doors of knowledge keep opening.

Oh, come on! After he said that, is anyone honestly still taking him seriously?  ;D

StevenPreece said:
As a child my father wasn't around when I needed him, but during the time of my courtmartial ( in my first book) he came to me in a dream and told me I would be found not guilty. Later the next day I was acquitted. A few years later I suffered a severe head injury and he came into my dreams again (in my 2nd Book). Those are the only times I've ever dreampt about him but it looks like he was there in my time of need after all.

A couple of weeks ago I dreampt about big MAC McLemon. He was a former marine and a friend of mine and I was saddened to hear he had passed away a few years ago. MAC was a black belt in a martial art, but I don't know which one. During the dream he told me it was the same art that I train in and he came to train with me. He was a top guy and it was nice to see him, even if only in a dream.

Strange things dreams arn't they.

Sometimes I wonder if we just dream what's on our minds.

Regards

Steve
This thread was started by me, but you seem to have missed my last line:  Sometimes I wonder if we just dream what's on our minds.
It was a query in that I wondered what other people's thoughts were on this.  Nothing more.  So please don't take it out of context. 

Regards

Steve

exsemjingo said:
Well, someday soon I'll be taking beliefs with me to war that just won't allow that.  My Christianity says once someone is dead, they do not come back or communicate with the living.  

YOUR Christianity?  How does that work?  Is it open-source like LINUX?  Can I get my own brand of Christianity that includes smoking, drinking, fornicating and fighting?  Can I make my own version of Heaven too? Sounds like  a new XBOX game - maybe SIM God or something.

Hunter said:
YOUR Christianity?  How does that work?   Is it open-source like LINUX?  Can I get my own brand of Christianity that includes smoking, drinking, fornicating and fighting?  Can I make my own version of Heaven too? Sounds like  a new XBOX game - maybe SIM God or something.

Hey, the Catholic church has made up it's own set of rules and foisted them on us for centuries.  Of course you can make up your own Christianity.  Just take out of context lines from the bible, and run with them.  However, there is that pesky Judgment Day stuff, when you go before God and try to give your rationale for your Church of the Rad Dude dogma. 
You:  "It was all in good faith?"
God:  "Heh.  Good one.  See ya."
[insert sound of trap door opening, decending scream]

zipperhead_cop said:
It is also fun to try to get into lucid dreaming.  The idea being at such time as you are somewhat aware that you are in a dream, you try to ease your conscious mind into working with the subconscious one, and thus be able to direct your dreams.  I usually end up waking up, but I got close a couple of times to actually keeping one going.

As unreal as it may or may not seem, I have had lucid dreams. I was quite aware that it was a dream, but I couldn't wake up.
Didn't really help that it was a terrifying nightmare. And if I told you what it was I guarantee 100% you'd think I'm a whacko. But nevertheless, it was petrifying. Though I haven't had a lucid dream in ages.

Hunter said:
YOUR Christianity?  How does that work?   Is it open-source like LINUX?  Can I get my own brand of Christianity that includes smoking, drinking, fornicating and fighting?  Can I make my own version of Heaven too? Sounds like  a new XBOX game - maybe SIM God or something.

Boo hoo hoo, you violated my charter rights.  ::)
The heckling was worse in my study materials than this.  Don't make me get 16th century on your ass.

But anyway, you are free to make up any religious beliefs that you want.  Several groups have done this; I do not think I need to name them for you.  The trouble is making up something that actually fits with the material it is supposedly based on, oh yeah, and something that can actually save you.
One of these days, you'll have to go see the Chaplian too.

I acually have lucid dreams on a relatively frequent basis. I can never control the start of the dream but usually I realise that this is a dream and begin to control its path.Usually late morning sleeping (9h00) and usually involving fornification.Never really heard talk of the word "lucid" but yah I do that pretty frequently

But what is this stuff about ninjas? I could have been serious up to the ninja point!

I havnt had deep ,meaningful dreams... usually sex or everyday mundane things like work.

Yeah, what about the Ninjas, StevenPreece?  You have not answered my question.

Matthew 17:3 says that Christ met with the deceased Moses and Elijah. Lazarus came back from the dead too. So did Christ.

To StevenPreece:

I think some of us are interested in your original thread. What do you mean by "Ninja"? Does this have anything to do with Shinto beliefs?

Myself, I am mostly influenced by Freudian dream theory, so I would have to agree that dreams are a construct of what we know from our own conscious experience mixed in with our unconscious thoughts and desires. I believe that dreams do not interpret life, but life interprets dreams.

I believe dreams to be very important.  Whether you look at them from a psychological context (Jung) or spiritual one, there is much being brought forth from the psyche/God, higher power, etc.  I often find that I am helping others discern what their dreams are saying to them.  Sometimes they are predictive, other times just rehashing the day, or reforming some part of the personality.

Personally,  I have learned from a young age to pay attention to them.  When I was 5, I would wake up screaming in the night cause I had dreamt that my dad had been shot while on duty. The parents calmed me down, only to do the same thing the next night for 2 weeks. The next week Dad was shot while undercover.

I use dreams in my ministry as well.  I know its scary to think of, but some of ya'll, I do dream about and I do touch base with after said dream, cause well, often there is something there to follow up on.

Thanks Steve for starting the thread.

Very good Elwood; you have evaluated someones religious thinking by using their source material.  This is the way it should be done.

Unfortunately, I need to correct you on Matt 17: 3.  When Christ appeared with Moses and Elijah, it was not a dream, and it was to more than one person at once.  Moses and Elijah have not appeared on their own accord, but appear because God wills it.  If, for some reason, Moses felt like coming back the next day, he would not have been permitted.  This sort of thing happens very rarely, which is why this instacne was significant enough to be recorded in scripture.  This leads into another difference from what StevenPeerce believes; the message is not only for those who witnessed it, by for all who would receive it.  Christians believe this Transfiguration attests to Jesus' Divinity.

As far as Lazarus, he only comes out a Jesus' command.  His resurrection shows Jesus' authority, not the normal abilities of the dead.

Oh yeah, Jesus' ressurection is the most important of all.  It is because he rose from the dead that (according to Christianity) we will are be ressurected on the last day.  This would be no dream, but something very real.

"You:  "It was all in good faith?"
God:  "Heh.  Good one.  See ya."
[insert sound of trap door opening, decending scream]"

- I guess I'm the second guy in line limping to the MIR holding a rib...

- Does this 'Dreams' thread also include "Dreams On Mefloquine"?  If so, hey, sign me up...

What about Deja Vue (Already Seen).  Do any of you have experieces with this?  Somebody once told me that it was a momentary lapse of concentration, but I feel at times it isn't.

What's the opinion on Deja Vue?

Regards

Steve 

I think that for the most part it is a temporary misrouting of incoming information into your long term instead of short term memory.  The trick would be if you were having a deja vu, could you think ahead within the thought you are having and predict what was coming next? 
Closest weirdness I have regularly is that I will be listening to the radio and a song will end.  It can be right in the middle of a set of music and in my mind, for no apparent reason, I will think about what the next song coming on is.  And then that song comes on.  That always seems weird.  (It works that way all the time with my CD's.  I guess maybe I am psychic  :p)

Okay, I'll wade into this now (and most likely just prove to some that yes, I am weird....lol)

I dream regularly and remember the majority of them too.  Well, the longer, more involved ones anyway.  I don't always remember them right away, but they will come to me eventually later on in the day when something or someone strikes my memory of them.

But what I have always found weird, is my deja vu.  This has happened for years.  I will be doing something, going somewhere, or saying something, and realize that I have been there or done that exact thing before, but knowing that I never have really.  I sit there, really trying to think and realize that the only explanation is that I have dreamt it before.  Used to throw me off alot, but I just accept it now, and actually find it kind of cool when it happens.  And yes, it does happen quite frequently.

"And then that song comes on.  That always seems weird.  (It works that way all the time with my CD's.  I guess maybe I am psychic  )"

- I have the same thing happen to me when I listen to my 33 1/3 LPs and my 8 Tracks!

Thank goodness I am not alone in this...

;)

exsemjingo said:
Well, someday soon I'll be taking beliefs with me to war that just won't allow that.  My Christianity says once someone is dead, they do not come back or communicate with the living.  There was a time when this was not taught, and it caused problems ie) the historical 'cult of the saints' and whatnot.
I hope you have researched what you have come to believe well, because too many people I've encountered make spiritual decisions carelessly.
I do not know your background, and I do not want to get into a big argument, but I can predict the way some will react to your original post.  They'll consider what you've presented nonchalantly, continue in their religious ignorance, and then one day they'll realize how near death may be, and loose their resolve.
I take this stuff seriously.

Perhaps you could elaborate on your beliefs, and put what you've suggested about dreams into better context.

How can you do research on something in order to believe in it, and still call it faith.  Faith by definition is a belief in something without empirical evidence to support it, is it not?  I don't habla theology too well, so feel free to dogpile, I've got big shoulders.

Anyone ever have that huge jolt that wakes you up in the middle of the night?
Maybe it's your spirit going back into your body after it has visited the future...hence.. deja vu
Just a thought....

I have dreamt that I was falling, only to wake up and feel like I just landed... its an odd feeling. Like you described, like a "jolt", if you will.

Back