• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Douglas Todd - The most diverse military regiment in Canada is in Vancouver

Maybe? Toronto has a lot of ethnicities in the CAF Reserves as well.

Oh, so now that it's clear that the Reserves look really diverse the CAF thinks the ARes is awesome, and wants them included in the 'diversity count'.

Got it ;)

John Candy Reaction GIF

Wait - you mean first-generation visible minorities may want to stay near Toronto and Vancouver rather than Shilo or Petawawa?

Joe Biden Shock GIF by GIPHY News

If you go into a farming region in the Fraser Valley/ Okanagan, or a sawmill around Prince George, you'll see more multi-generation Canadians of South Asian descent than just about anyone else.

Wait - you mean first-generation visible minorities may want to stay near Toronto and Vancouver rather than Shilo or Petawawa?

Joe Biden Shock GIF by GIPHY News
Well you could have just said who the fuck really wants to be in Shilo or Petawawa…

I liked Pet personally due to cottage proximity, but had I not had that, well not sure my liver would still fit inside me.

I’m more sure how 2VP didn’t have a mass suicide when they relocated to Shilo, a brief two week TD stint there had me wondering if I fell off something to break a limb if I’d get back to Calgary quicker or should I accept the remaining days there.

Well you could have just said who the fuck really wants to be in Shilo or Petawawa…

I liked Pet personally due to cottage proximity, but had I not had that, well not sure my liver would still fit inside me.

I’m more sure how 2VP didn’t have a mass suicide when they relocated to Shilo, a brief two week TD stint there had me wondering if I fell off something to break a limb if I’d get back to Calgary quicker or should I accept the remaining days there.

Just stand outside in a t-shirt for 20 minutes and the cold will do the job for you ;)

Just stand outside in a t-shirt for 20 minutes and the cold will do the job for you ;)
It was late spring, the Poison Oak/Sumac decided to get me anyway.

- never randomly hookup with an MP who ‘knows somewhere to go’ In my defense I didn’t know the base well, she clearly didn’t know where to go either unless she enjoyed the blisters and burning more than I
* the poison plant burns nothing else.
** she was a Shilo 10

I genuinely liked Petawawa.

I also liked Dundurn.
Pet is ~1.5hr to Ottawa and 15-30min to Pembroke (and for those with really low expectations you can drunk stumble into town and back)
Dundurn is ~45min to Saskatoon

Heck Wainwright to Edmonton can be done inside an hour (if you’re young and not so concerned with the speed limit)
Or if you’re a young Pte/Cpl with lower standards (but not Petawawa town low) you can make Vermillion and cruise rodeo chicks inside 30min.

So not the armpits of nowhere.

Shilo is 45 min to Brandon…
Which is kind of like driving 45min to get to the town of Petawawa.

It was late spring, the Poison Oak/Sumac decided to get me anyway.

- never randomly hookup with an MP who ‘knows somewhere to go’ In my defense I didn’t know the base well, she clearly didn’t know where to go either unless she enjoyed the blisters and burning more than I
* the poison plant burns nothing else.
** she was a Shilo 10
Funny I dated a female MP while on course there as well. When I was considering going Reg force, I asked if I could go Combat Engineer and they said no, we need artillery. I said I know, I have been to Shilo and I don't want to go back. Artillery in Germany would have been good, but Shilo in the 80's was a soul destroying place for a Junior Rank.

I’ve met a few who truly like both. Then again, they would fit in rural Alabama or Kentucky pretty well.
I love how urbanists, and yes Dimsum you are an urbanist, can confidently and without irony just make a blanket statement about a place they've never been to, never want to go to, and if it weren't for their time in the military never ever meet, let alone socialize with a person who is from that region or culture.

I'm from an hour south of Shilo. My family still lives and farms there. I go back there to help out on a regular basis and I love the place. I totally agree that its not the majority of Canadians cup of tea, but boy I could say some shitty things about every part of Canada but its not worth my breath.

Pet is ~1.5hr to Ottawa and 15-30min to Pembroke (and for those with really low expectations you can drunk stumble into town and back)
Dundurn is ~45min to Saskatoon

Heck Wainwright to Edmonton can be done inside an hour (if you’re young and not so concerned with the speed limit)
Or if you’re a young Pte/Cpl with lower standards (but not Petawawa town low) you can make Vermillion and cruise rodeo chicks inside 30min.

So not the armpits of nowhere.

Shilo is 45 min to Brandon…
Which is kind of like driving 45min to get to the town of Petawawa.
45 minutes to Brandon? Are you using a wheel chair?

Winnipeg is an hour and a half on a 4 lane highway.

I love how urbanists, and yes Dimsum you are an urbanist, can confidently and without irony just make a blanket statement about a place they've never been to, never want to go to, and if it weren't for their time in the military never ever meet, let alone socialize with a person who is from that region or culture.

I'm from an hour south of Shilo. My family still lives and farms there. I go back there to help out on a regular basis and I love the place. I totally agree that its not the majority of Canadians cup of tea, but boy I could say some shitty things about every part of Canada but its not worth my breath.
Actually I’ve visited all of the Canadian Army bases. Including a few “glorious” weeks in Wainwright and 3-ish months in Suffield. I think that’s hilarious since I’m not green in the least.

My points still stand.

Edit to add: I actually am not a huge fan of big cities. I wouldn’t want to move to the GTA or GVA. Comox was more my style.

Last edited:
The big issue with places like Shilo in the 80's was the limited options for your spouse to work. If you married a switched on girl with a career of their own and you got posted there, likley she was not going to find work.

The big issue with places like Shilo in the 80's was the limited options for your spouse to work. If you married a switched on girl with a career of their own and you got posted there, likley she was not going to find work.
I think that is an issue everywhere for Army spouses. Coupled with our Balkanized professional silos (you can teach in BC but not Manitoba for example) it was/is a mess for all CAF spouses.

Back