• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Don Harron (aka Charlie Farquharson), 1924-2015, R.I.P.

The Bread Guy

Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
Brought a lot of people a lot of laughs this guy ....
Don Harron, who entertained generations of Canadians with his comic alter ego Charlie Farquharson and helped bring the Canadian classic novel "Anne of Green Gables" from the page to the stage, has died. He was 90.

Harron's eldest daughter Martha said her father died on Saturday morning surrounded by family at his Toronto home after choosing not to seek treatment for cancer.

The wit and humour that landed him roles on CBC radio programs and television variety shows such as "Hee Haw" continued to define her father to the very end, Martha Harron said.

"He was still sharp. He was still capable of being funny even though his voice was barely above a whisper," she said in a telephone interview from Toronto. "It's horribly sad, but it's beautiful too." ....
4140540.jpg

[Edit to correct Year of Death.]

A loss to Canada's comedic hertitage.  I met Don Harron once, briefly.  It was in Lahr, Germany in the 1990s before we closed the bases.  He, and his then wife Catherine Mckinnon, were over there for a short visit.  If I recall correctly, it wasn't with one of the regular entertainment tours but (I think, but the memory is failing due to aluminum mess tins) in conjunction with the Military Police Blind Fund.  I believe it was not the first time that he (they) had travelled overseas in support of the CF (he had served in the RCAF during the war).  Even when not in character or 'performing' he was a pleasant and entertaining gentleman.

Back