• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Does it look bad?

CDN Aviator said:
Nowhere in her post is she getting "worked up" over chinups.

As OCCAM pointed out, she does imply that she doesn't want to enroll until she can do some chin-ups.  She is not the only one on here that I have seen make a statement like this (hence the "everyone" to which I referred).  I never said that training for chin-ups was a bad thing.  I just said that it's not worth worrying about and an inability to do them certainly isn't something that anyone should delay joining over.

I sucked at the Flexed Arm Hang in elementary school and I don't think I've ever done a real chin-up in my entire life.  Nor have I ever been required to in 30 years of service.  Yet, I don't feel less of a human being as a result of this,  I have successfully climbed plenty of walls (although I prefer to go around or through them) and in 18 years of tight-five rugby, there have been plenty of opponents who will testify to my overall strength.

Would it be at all possible to hammer out a communally understood definition of what 'getting worked up' means before this turns into 14 pages of people getting worked up?

I'm working up an appetite. How's that ?

;D

OP:

Join when you're ready to, based on your own judgement.

haha! ok you guys...i am not so concern with the chin up..i really want to do them so that i can really do whatever they ask me too without struggling. I am not going to be one of them sent to fatcamp. No thanks. Liek someone else mentionned here, i do not believe in people joining without being in shape. My man is an instructor in St-Jean...horrible stories i hear constantly. To be military is not only to have a title and look good in front of people when you mention what you do for a living. For me being military is not only a job but a way of living your life which includes sports, fitness etc etc. I want to do this for myself and make my country proud. Somebody said that perhaps a PSP or recruiter could give me a express test...that is a great idea. But contrairly to many guests here i have done sooo much search that I know exactly what is going to happen and how it will happen. AND thank God for the episodes of Basic up!! And...when I do not do the dishes, hubby makes me do sit ups :) lol I love it!!!

armywife78 said:
push up...I will consider myself ready to join when i can do my 9 push ups, plenty of chin up and a good run  without trowing up my last meal  :nod:(Am 33 years old female).

Don't aim for just 9.. aim for 25, and then aim for 50, always do more then what is asked, doing the bare minimum is half assed, I'd rather fight alongside someone who can struggle to do 25 when the minimum is 19 or in your case 9, it will make you feel more rewarded in the end..

Good Luck

I couldn't do a chin up to save my life.

No big deal.  ;)

Hey armywife78,

Have you very tried going to a climbing wall? I definitely noticed a difference in my upper body since I started climbing. About a month ago I couldn't even do one push up, but now I can do about 3-4 good ones. I still have a while to go but I feel thankful that a friend recommended this to me.

Best of luck.

micah said:
Hey armywife78,

Have you very tried going to a climbing wall? I definitely noticed a difference in my upper body since I started climbing. About a month ago I couldn't even do one push up, but now I can do about 3-4 good ones. I still have a while to go but I feel thankful that a friend recommended this to me.

Best of luck.

If you want to get good at pushups, start doing more pushups. Same with running or almost anything else in life :) The simplest answer is the best one here.

This is a good place to start: http://hundredpushups.com/index.html

I would think most don't get to 100 in 6 weeks but if you knock off a few sets multiple time per week you'll be on your way. Pushups require no equipment and you can do them almost anywhere. Waiting for your food to cook? bang out a set on the kitchen floor. Off to bed? Crank out a set before you hit the hay.

There's several iPhone apps and websites as well....for chin ups, pull ups, squats, pushups, etc. 

Back