• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Does everyone in CF has head piece to communicate ?

tech2002

Inactive
Reaction score
I am doing some research and I am trying to find out if everyone must/does wear head piece to communicate to other soldiers units during training or combat.
Is this different for each trade, who can wear it, or this is only for officers, special units, infantry etc ?  :cdn:

Just out of curiosity, why are you looking for this info?

If you get issued a radio for any task during training or combat, you are issued a corresponding headset (if the radio in question has a headset as part of the checklist).
The only people who would get issued a headset on an individual entitlement basis would probably be pilots (to go in their flight helmets) and maybe select signallers.

Edited to remove some uselessness

You get a headset if you require it. There is no "special" conotation to it either.

Pilots, I'm pretty sure, have their helmets issued and are more than likely sized for the individual.

It's a standard use item. You get one if you need one, regardless of rank or position.

Regards

Pilots in a flying position get a helmet and/or a headset (depending on the aircraft type) issued to them and if they get a helmet, it's specially fitted to them.

Max

Eric_911 said:

If you get issued a radio for any task during training or combat, you are issued a corresponding headset (if the radio in question has a headset as part of the checklist).
The only people who would get issued a headset on an individual entitlement basis would probably be pilots (to go in their flight helmets) and maybe select signallers.

Had you checked his previous posts you would see his hearing score is 3 and as he said in his opening line he is doing research. Makes sense to me why he asked.

tech2002 said:
I am doing some research and I am trying to find out if everyone must/does wear head piece to communicate to other soldiers units during training or combat.
Is this different for each trade, who can wear it, or this is only for officers, special units, infantry etc ?  :cdn:

Generally, radios come with headsets (I can't think of any in general use that don't, but I could be wrong).  The number of users will vary according to your organization and situation.

If you are in a vehicle crew (driver, gunner, commander, loader, operater etc) then you will have a headset that is connected to the vehicle Intercom System (ICS).  This is the usual way to talk among a crew, although turret crew talk and yell at each other as well.  The ICS is also connected to the radio (there is a switch which leads to fun when you push it the wrong way).  In a LAV III or other carrier with "passengers", not everybody in the back will have one in my experience. 

For infantry types when they dismount the guys carrying the manpack radios will have a headset and often a handset.  The handset lets someone else talk and listen.  This number can vary, but it is not usually very many people.  Different organizations take different approaches with who carries the radio.  There are, however, Personal Role Radios (PRRs) that are sometimes issued on a larger scale.  These small radios (think of a small Walkman in terms of size if you are that old) come with an earpiece (kind of like half a headset) and a mike.  I wouldn't count on meeting one during your training.

In the Army you will meet a headset at some point, although some trades (Armoured and Sigs guys) will meet them more often than others.  Don't know if I answered your question! 

Cheers

T2B

Eric_911 said:

I have been given special permission to join CF for specific time, only to be limited to specific trade wpn tech, cook, supply tech, log,  where I will not be in need of wearing one, but I will be excluded from training because it requires to wear one, but number of people told me this is not true, I am trying to confirm that fact

We run Motorola on all of our non-green vehicles here in Transport. It's a network for SNIC, taxis, buses and the dispatcher talk back and forth. Nothing really to hide, may be if you wanted to know where there is a traffic jam at, and that's about it.  ;)

tech2002 said:
I have been given special permission to join CF for specific time, only to be limited to specific trade wpn tech, cook, supply tech, log,  where I will not be in need of wearing one, but I will be excluded from training because it requires to wear one, but number of people told me this is not true, I am trying to confirm that fact

I don't know how impaired your hearing is, but your standard TCCCS radio headset does go pretty loud. Are you able to function within society unhindered on a daily basis? If so, you shouldn't have any problems.

Back