• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Does anyone have any pre-BMQ tips?

TheWatchDog

Inactive
Reaction score
Hello there!

I'm Leigh and I am just now going through the full time recruitment process for an Intelligence operator trade.
Does anyone have any tips and tricks that may benefit myself going forward? (Physical or not)

Thanks!
[:D

I completed my BMQ last summer and here are a few tips that you may find useful:

1. Bring the foam shaving cream instead of the liquid gel stuff (The gel tends to come out of the can and make a mess, your course staff may or may not inspect your items for abolutions)
2. LOCKS FOR YOU KIT BAGS (Not only to keep your stuff safe from other candidates who like to steal, but during inspections if your bags are left unlocked the course staff may want to make "kit soup")
3. Maintain a positive attitude during the duration of the course, if you can show the course staff that you can handle whatever stress they throw at you, you'll do just fine (This goes for ALL courses)
4. When preparing for inspections, once you have your own quarters sorted, go and help your section mates. If your entire section is sorted and you have the time, go help out other sections if possible. Course staff like to see teamwork.
5. During your time off on weekends (If you get time off), don't just loaf around for the entire weekend. Do some PT, or practice the drills you learned with your section mates and others from the course.
    The course staff will surely notice this and give you kudos for the extra effort.

Hope that helps. Let me know if you have any specific questions and I'll do my best to answer them  [:)

EMEGEM said:
I completed my BMQ last summer and here are a few tips that you may find useful:

1. Bring the foam shaving cream instead of the liquid gel stuff (The gel tends to come out of the can and make a mess, your course staff may or may not inspect your items for abolutions)
2. LOCKS FOR YOU KIT BAGS (Not only to keep your stuff safe from other candidates who like to steal, but during inspections if your bags are left unlocked the course staff may want to make "kit soup")
3. Maintain a positive attitude during the duration of the course, if you can show the course staff that you can handle whatever stress they throw at you, you'll do just fine (This goes for ALL courses)
4. When preparing for inspections, once you have your own quarters sorted, go and help your section mates. If your entire section is sorted and you have the time, go help out other sections if possible. Course staff like to see teamwork.
5. During your time off on weekends (If you get time off), don't just loaf around for the entire weekend. Do some PT, or practice the drills you learned with your section mates and others from the course.
    The course staff will surely notice this and give you kudos for the extra effort.

Hope that helps. Let me know if you have any specific questions and I'll do my best to answer them  [:)

I'm not OP but thanks for your advice. I will keep think in mind.

How far should someone be able to run comfortably for BMQ?

I'm not OP but thanks for your advice. I will keep think in mind.

How far should someone be able to run comfortably for BMQ?

Basically till you puke or die.. jk. Sort of.  Just keep your cardio up, it will continue to improve after you get there. Just don't give up.  I cried while I ran once cause I hurt my ankle on an obstacle course ( I don't recommend this for all injuries) but I made sure I finished.  I did not get yelled at for finishing and pushing all my limits.

Foxtrot23 said:
I cried while I ran once cause I hurt my ankle on an obstacle course ( I don't recommend this for all injuries) but I made sure I finished.  I did not get yelled at for finishing and pushing all my limits.
I'm not trying to bash but Im curious as to how you went on an obstacle course seeing as you posted this in July but your bio says you started BMQ in September?

war2001v said:
I'm not trying to bash but Im curious as to how you went on an obstacle course seeing as you posted this in July but your bio says you started BMQ in September?
why aren't you applying as a intelligence operator

Do lots of planks, be able to do at least 25 push ups (DO THEM VERY SLOWLY). Don't say please, thank you, or sorry. Move fast, move silently.

Trecr said:
Do lots of planks, be able to do at least 25 push ups (DO THEM VERY SLOWLY). Don't say please, thank you, or sorry. Move fast, move silently.

They told us to always say Thank you went you get something from a staff or went asking for something and and is positive

The fast moving must be like if everything is a EMERGENCY and went not in combat do it in running fast or do it like a drill march to get use to walk and never forget
left/ right........quick tip they told us to get use to drill march and paste use the Star wars film sound track it's the right paste

1. Understand the value of sleep...
But don't be "that guy" that dodges their responsibilities to catch a few extra winks. You have specific timings for lights out, and most people I did my BMQ (and later DP1 course) with would stay up a little later, reading, or busying around keeping themselves awake.

2. Eat all your food.
This really shouldn't be a point, but I've seen many people pass out during the day because they ate only a handful at meals. Your body requires a certain number of calories to function, and the paces they set you through on courses in the military, even BMQ to some extent, can be much more physically and mentally demanding than most are used to. Eat, and keep your energy up.

3. Help your coursemates.
Don't be the guy who gets his stuff done, then buggers off for the night. Give those who struggle a hand. Trust me, if one person pays push-ups for a shitty inspection, eventually you'll all pay.

4. Exchange talents.
You're good at polishing boots, but your ironing sucks? Trade off with a friend. This will make everything so much easier in the long run. But still try and learn how to iron, those are just good life skills.

5. You don't need to spend EVERY weekend in Montreal.
If you've had a particularly bad week, it's good to get out and be a real person. But cab and hotel bills can add up and before you know it you're bumming a ride back because you spent all your cash at the club.

6. Keep Cadet experience on the down-low.
Honestly, I've had nothing but bad experiences with people who've been in Cadets on my BMQ. While it's good that they can help with beds, boots, and practicing drill, I've found many of them have a "holier than thou" attitude when it comes to most everything else. By mid-course, everyone is on an even playing field anyway. Also staff seem to pick up on this, and expect a little bit more out of them. So IF you have Cadet experience, don't flaunt it, but use your skills to help everybody else along.

7. Top Candidate means nothing in the long run.
Yes, it's nice to win an award, march up in front of everyone, salute the Colonel, and generally delay the end of everyone's grad parade by making a small part of it all about you, but really, you're all on course to learn BASIC SOLDIER SKILLS. Don't look down on the cook who struggles at marching. He may recognize you later in your career and give you an extra pork chop at dinner. Just because you can sew a nametag on a shirt better than everybody else doesn't devaluate them. It just means that they don't excell at this particular junction of their career.

8. Shower. For God's sake shower.
I don't need to explain this.

9. Learn how to recognize a MCpl from a MBdr.
Black beret with brown or green t-shirt. There. Just saved you a swipe.

10. Don't be a dick in the food line.
Everyone is cranky and hungry nearly all the time, and if your way of dealing with that is to make life worse for everyone else, you're in for a bad time.

Hope I helped.

11. Take your Beret off when you pass the queen. Trust me.

Back