• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Do Not Call (especially during dinner!)

Celticgirl

Inactive
Reaction score
The national Do Not Call List registry will be going into effect tomorrow, September 30th. You can register any and all of your phone numbers, and then telemarketers will not be permitted to call you if your number is on this list.

I understand that a few companies are exempt, but they have their own Do Not Call Lists and you simply need to tell them to put your number on the list if they call you. If they don't honour this request, the company can receive a hefty fine.

Freedom from telemarketing, at last!  ;D

Here is a link to the government website: National Do Not Call List - Register Here

Thank you celticgirl...
no more phone calls telling me that my interests rate is too high... finally!!!  ;D

Hmph. I decided to register the phones here onto the DNCL, and their website is down. So they're either having a really bad opening day, or a really busy one.

Important Notice National Do Not Call List (DNCL)

The DNCL Web site is temporarily unavailable. Please try again later.

Midget

The website is already "temporarily unavailable".....great start.  ::)

I was talking to someone last night who mentioned something about a $5.00 fee to the consumers in the fine print.  Can't remember exactly what for.  Anyone know anything about this?  All I can find on the CRTC website is that you will have to register every three years.

PMedMoe said:

I got: The service is not available. Please try again later.

WTH?  ::)

PMedMoe said:

I was talking to someone last night who mentioned something about a $5.00 fee to the consumers in the fine print.  Can't remember exactly what for.  Anyone know anything about this?  All I can find on the CRTC website is that you will have to register every three years.

I managed to get through already, after pounding on the 'refresh' button, and regisered my home phone number. Nothing there about fees. All I had to do was enter the number, and type in one of those verification boxes with random letters.

Midget

uncle-midget-boyd said:
I managed to get through already, after pounding on the 'refresh' button, and regisered my home phone number. Nothing there about fees. All I had to do was enter the number, and type in one of those verification boxes with random letters.

OK, I went back and it was working. I registered my cell number and my father's home phone number. No fees.

Just registered both of my numbers too.  I didn't see anything about fees.  Maybe the person I was speaking to was confusing the fees that the companies have to pay for subscription for the list.

I'm still having problems opening the site.  Guess they never figured people would register their phones  ::)

Consider the bandwidth issue - this site just came online today, and millions of Canadians are chomping at the bit to get registered.  No doubt the website is having trouble keeping up.  Seems to be working, just very busy.

Good! Its been a long time coming.

Sometimes when you ask to be put on the DNC list with a company calling you (surveys etc) your number only gets put on the list for the current survey. Make sure you stipulate that you want to go on the poling firm's DNC list, so that you don't just get put on the list for the organization they're representing at the moment. Just a word to the wise.

:cdn:
Hawk

Website, phone lines for do-not-call list overwhelmed

Article Link

So many people are trying to register their phone numbers on the federal do-not-call list, the website has crashed and the phone lines have a constant busy tone.

Commenters to CBC.ca expressed frustration at not being able to get through, but not all of them were surprised at the breakdown.

"It appears the Do Not Call Registry site was so popular it brought down their server. I am getting … Page cannot be displayed errors," wrote Alienc, of Riverview, N.B.

"Great idea but [too] bad the DNCR registry web site is unavailable.…Typical," wrote VACMAN, of Nova Scotia.

The popularity of the list was not unexpected. The Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission has projected that of Canada's 27 million residential phone lines, which include cellphone numbers, 16 million would be on the do-not-call list within two years.

However, it's possible the CRTC didn't expect millions to try to join the list in the first week. The CRTC confirmed that about 200,000 people were able to register before the website crashed Tuesday morning.

More on link

PMedMoe said:
However, it's possible the CRTC didn't expect millions to try to join the list in the first week. The CRTC confirmed that about 200,000 people were able to register before the website crashed Tuesday morning.

It seems they underestimated the number of Canadians who are fed up with this incessant calling and soliciting. Who wouldn't want to be on the Do Not Call List?

PMedMoe said:
However, it's possible the CRTC didn't expect millions to try to join the list in the first week.
The CRTC confirmed that about 200,000 people were able to register before the website crashed
Tuesday morning.

Where was theirs brains ? (My third try for "theirs". Third is the charm, right :) ? )

Thanks for the article PMedMoe .

The web site in French is either crashed or jammed, as "The page cannot be found" .
(tense of the verbs?)

Celticgirl said:
I got: The service is not available. Please try again later.

WTH?  ::)

Alot of servers/server farms/websites/whatever are configured to only allow X amount of connections at a time...once that threshhold is max'd, you then get the 'website busy signal' (Please try again later, server not available, etc).

Successfully registered (finally). Thanks muchly Celtic!!!

Back