• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

DND and Civilian Contracts: Conflict of Interest

Pieman

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
I am not sure if anyone here would be able to answer this question, but here it is:

I have dealings with an organization in the DND that I noted continuously hands out contracts to a specific civilian organization. This organization consists of past members of the DND department, and close affiliation with current DND members. (They served together, and know each other on a personal level prior to the contact) Additionally, members of this civilian organization have been hired on as full time civilian staff to the DND after finishing a previous contract. In other words, they all got each others hands in each others pockets, and the tax payer is flipping the bill.

Is it not a major conflict of interest to continuously hand out contracts to the same company, with so many people involved that know each other? It is really really shady if you ask me.

Most likely the company recieving the contracts have a standing offer agreement through PWGSC.  This would have gone through processes to ensure fairness and best value.

It's not abnormal for people to flip flop out of DND and civillian companies.  For example, if the contract was for transport driving, this would be a simple cross over as skills are related.  Scenarios where this flip flop occurs is normally in small towns that thrive on the CFB.

Pieman said:
I am not sure if anyone here would be able to answer this question, but ...
With the incomplete picture that you have provided, your question is unanswerable.

With the incomplete picture that you have provided, your question is unanswerable. 
Can't really provide more without getting into specifics which is not appropriate to reveal here.

It's not abnormal for people to flip flop out of DND and civilian companies.  For example, if the contract was for transport driving, this would be a simple cross over as skills are related.
This is not the situation, as the skill set required is highly technical and there are plenty of different companies that can provide. I am seeing a small group of buddies patting each other on the back with contracts.  I guess the best step will be to report the organization to some kind of ethics commissioner.

DND's website includes proactive disclosure of contracts that are let.  You can review that information for more details.  You can also watch on MERX for requirements that are beign competed for DND.

All that information may give you a better understanding of what's going on; with that information you can decide what to do.

ND's website includes proactive disclosure of contracts that are let.  You can review that information for more details.  You can also watch on MERX for requirements that are beign competed for DND.
Good point, will be digging through that info.

I'm fairly certain that I know what you're talking about, but speculation has bit me in the arse before. 
I am pretty sure this is nothing you would know about. However if you suspect something maybe do something about it, if possible. I have informally bounced my concerns off a trusted officer on more than one occasion.

I feel it is perfectly acceptable for a company to be awarded a contract with DND when said company knows how DND works. Why not have friends do the work if they are capable of doing the job?
There must be more to the picture that you are not divulging if you needed to get this off your chest. You must have known prior to starting this topic that your question could not be answered based on the lack of information.

There must be more to the picture that you are not divulging if you needed to get this off your chest. You must have known prior to starting this topic that your question could not be answered based on the lack of information.
You are making quite a boat load of assumptions about my intentions there.  I fail to see why anyone would bother to poise a question that could not be answered. I did however, get some useful information and advice about the problem in the end. Also, had a few PM from other members on here that were helpful.

I suspect you are simply trolling for a reaction,  with such a baseless accusation.

I feel it is perfectly acceptable for a company to be awarded a contract with DND when said company knows how DND works. Why not have friends do the work if they are capable of doing the job? 

I feel it is not acceptable at all to dish out government money to people simply because  they are your friends.

Pieman said:
You are making quite a boat load of assumptions

I feel it is not acceptable at all to dish out government money to people simply because  they are your friends.

Don't look now but you are making a boatload of assumptions yourself.

Companies often win contracts more because they have a better understanding of the process than for having a superior product.  Their product still has to comply with the required specifications, but if their presentation is better, they win.  Companies will often hire former CF/DND personnel precisely because it gives them a leg up in the competitive process.  There is nothing illegal, immoral or unethical about this.  There are a variety of reasons that you perception may not be the reality.

I agree that a contracts should not be let based on friendship or other connections, I also believe that it's not fair to automatically exclude potential suppliers for the same reason.  If everyone follows the rules, then the best bid should win, regardless of the connections involved.

Government procurement rules are very tight (too tight sometimes it seems) and so I would be very surprised if you are seeing a situation where the rules are being routinely violated.  They at least have to pay lip service to the rules.  Although people do occasionally try to get around the rules, they do get caught on a regular basis (though it may take awhile).  In my mind the risk is too high.  I know of at least one former acquaintance who went to jail...

Don't look now but you are making a boatload of assumptions yourself.
Nope. I am not. I am basing this on interactions I had with these people, and documents I have read. Very helpful and productive post BTW.

Government procurement rules are very tight (too tight sometimes it seems) and so I would be very surprised if you are seeing a situation where the rules are being routinely violated.  They at least have to pay lip service to the rules.  Although people do occasionally try to get around the rules, they do get caught on a regular basis (though it may take awhile).  In my mind the risk is too high.  I know of at least one former acquaintance who went to jail...

I am aware of the complexity of the procurement process (to a degree). Which is why I feel this certain organization is doing something wrong. I don't think I would be able to paint a full picture here if I tried.

Anyway, I have submitted a complaint to the proper authorities, so I assume an investigation will result. If I turn out to be right, then I suspect they will find it. If I am wrong (which I could very well be), then I suspect they will find that too.

Pieman said:
Very helpful and productive post BTW.

You're welcome.

Its not like i am familiar with contracting or purchasing, having had to jump the hoops for doing so on several occasions. I wouldnt have the slightest clue on how tight the rules are to prevent the sort of things you mentioned.

Unless of course you work with politicians............

I wouldnt have the slightest clue on how tight the rules are to prevent the sort of things you mentioned.
By your previous input I would not have known one way or another.

Unless of course you work with politicians............
Worse. Scientists. Nothing more than a pack of money grubbing jerks who know too much. ;)

Back