• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

DND 404 - Driver's Licence ( merged )

Sig_Des said:
Cheeky Bugger....just HAD to show how many more quals you have over me, eh? Over 20 years....I bet you even have the floor sweeper qual in there somewhere  ;D

This guy has horse and wagon on it.... ouch...

Cheech

In the old days, they would take you out to the bull pen & let you loose on the trails within.  Not much could happen to ya in that environment - except for that big anti-tank ditch my sappers built one summer :) :) :)

I learnt how to drive on an old 3/4 ton SMP  cfr 41000 aka "old catastrophe"; she had the loosest steering you have ever seen - having to swing steering +/- 90 degrees to right & to left .... just to continue driving in a straight line.

Serious ??

If my 404's expire in  26/07/2007, do I have to write that 100 question exam?

or can they be renewed all I have is A1/B1

Crow ( I am drunk)

I'll try to get one last word in before it's locked.
When in doubt, go see your safety section rather then search for opinions here.  It's obviously a touchy subject and it wouldn't be fair to mislead anyone with partial information and speculation.  
Keeping the shiny side up for decades...
driving.gif

HFXCrow said:
Serious ??

If my 404's expire in  26/07/2007, do I have to write that 100 question exam?

or can they be renewed all I have is A1/B1

Crow ( I am drunk)
Not if you renew BEFORE they expire.  After that, rewrite the provincial DIT.

forcerecon85 said:
Would you happen to know if thats for beginners (in Ontario a G1) or your full license? I can get my G1 anytime, but for a full G it would take a few years.

You need your full G licence (if your from Ontario) for medtech.

geo said:
Ummm.... Learners permits is what the CF is trying to avoid

Permit with restrictions for when to drive (before xx hrs, daylight conditions, etc) should not be a problem cause it is a full fledged drivers licence and you do not need to travel with someone else with his licence.

G1 and G2 are not full drivers licences in Ontario.  Both have restrictions, although the difference between a G2 and a Full G is relatively minor, it is still not a full licence.

Hi All

I am going on my 404 course for the Reserves. What will this allow me to drive. I understand it's like a class G civie licence. So I assume pick-ups, cars, and vans only. Also, how long before you have to be recertified once you get your 404s.

Thanks in advance

What is the formal name of the course. I've never heard of a '404 course'. That MAY give us some indication what your talking about.

I have been told it is a driving course that allows me to drive Army vehicles like cars, pick-ups, and vans but it is not the Driver's Wheel endorsement for bigger trucks like the ML.

Thanks in advance

Then that's what it is. A course that allows you to drive some of the 'blue fleet' vehicles only. No green fleet. I believe the standard for expiry of 404's is when your civvie licence expires, or 5 years.

Hi

Yes they said there was a defensive driving portion to it. I just wank to make sure I get some qualification out of and it's not jut and FYI type of army seminar.

Thanks

Well back in the 80's the 404 would state exactly which vehicles you are qualified to drive and that would depend on which vehicles your course was taught on. Likely your first vehicles would be a MILCOT, G-wagon and MLVW. The 404 is only valid for driving military vehicles.

Looks like the 'standard' course to qualify you "Staff Car" and "8 Passenger Van", which almost everyone gets on their 404's.

Colin P said:
Well back in the 80's the 404 would state exactly which vehicles you are qualified to drive and that would depend on which vehicles your course was taught on. Likely your first vehicles would be a MILCOT, G-wagon and MLVW. The 404 is only valid for driving military vehicles.

Ah No, 404s are valid for whatever vehicles DND owns or leases, which can include civillian trucks, vans, cars, suvs (not just "military" vehicles).  It is dependant on what your duties entail and what your transport NCO puts down on your 404s.  Mudeater if you are not sure what you can and cannot drive and what other restrictions you have, you should be talking to your unit Transport NCO, because everyone here can only speculate about what the heck you are talking about.

To defend what Colin P said.  404's are only valid to drive 'military' vehicles, be they SMP or Civilian Pattern; DND Owned or Rented/Leased.  404's are not valid for you to drive your family car or to go out and Rent or Lease a vehicle for your own personal use.  It will state what you are qualified to drive, and as long as it is being used under the DND 'banner' it is legal.  If DND does not own or lease/rent the vehicle, your 404's are not valid as a Driver Lic.

Back