• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Divining the right role, capabilities, structure, and Regimental System for Canada's Army Reserves

Some observations about the reserves; problems and possible fixes.

Problems.
[Caveat for the below, these aren't always the case but they do happen often IMO]
-Young officers sign in and spend the training night immersed in school books. They're spending work time studying for exams or courses or whatever other personal shit they have on the go.
-Senior officers sign in and likewise meander around, chitchat and collect a pay check for very little work.
-JNCOs and SNCOs sign in and blow off any real training or work, just there to sign in and collect a paycheck. Piss around on the internet waiting to hit the mess.
-Leadership at all levels show up with the sole intention of trying to nail down their next tasking or class B contract, no smick what their troops are doing or seem to give a shit about their subordinates development. The local armories is a welfare office for them. Happy to take but not so much give back to the unit.
-Training is boring and the normal regular parading members are stuck doing the same shit over and over while the part time -part time members are playing catch up (more on this below).
-Blatant double standards where privates are reamed out for showing up 5 minutes before everyone falls in (instead of 10) yet SNCOs or Officers show up just whenever and sign in.  The excuse of coming from another job doesn't extend below the rank of sgt.
-Soldiers aren't held accountable for shitty behavior. No one wants to discipline or charge them, either because it makes the closed confines of an armory awkward or they don't want the member to stop parading.
-"bad apples" are still sent on taskings (and some of them really good ones) because at the end of the day reserve units just want to put names to cftpo messages. No visible repercussions for ***king off training or the unit.

Fixes.
-The "boring training" is a double edged sword. You need to make training interesting and fun so members want to attend but at the same time it should be relative and realistic and not assassination missions or hostage rescue ops.  I would break the training into month long blocks with each block it's own theme starting with something basic then culminating in a related exercise after 3 or 4 training nights.  Ambushes, Section movement, first aid, IEDs & minefields, defensive, comms. Whatever.  A month block would split training between core basics and fun training. It's relatively quick so people won't get bored.
-If members are shitty then forget trying to look good in front of whatever brigade and just don't send them on taskings. Bad soldiers shouldn't be rewarded with courses or 4 months employment. I'd say those bad soldiers that get sent on taskings regardless are usually the ones that get in trouble with alcohol or behavior.
-Scale training nights depending on rank. There's no need for 4 platoon commanders and 4 sergeants to show up to work (and work on school work) if there's 4 soldiers showing up for training.  I bet they would get more involved in attendance if it hit them in the wallet.
-Augment the regular force more, especially for exercises. If money is an issue then cut some headquarters positions.  On the same note space is always a premium, if the regular force are going to do a 2 week exercise then organize it in a city or area with reserves so the regs can draw on them for manpower augmentation.

Jarnhamar said:
You need to make training interesting and fun so members want to attend but at the same time it should be relative and realistic and not assassination missions or hostage rescue ops. 

But how else will we practice extracting the good people from NDHQ to help us lead the way into a brighter future? :)

-Soldiers aren't held accountable for shitty behavior. No one wants to discipline or charge them, either because it makes the closed confines of an armory awkward or they don't want the member to stop parading.

This right here.

A big problem in the reserves is that a lot of the MCpl's and even Sgt's are pushed through the ranks so fast that the Cpl's of the Regiment they lead are their best friends who they joined with. Creates a very difficult dynamic to ensure discipline is maintained.

The Officers and SNCO's showing up as they please and leaving when they please is also a serious issue. There are some Officers whose only purpose it seems is to task someone else to polish some piece of silver or brass and then pop smoke for the night.

Flavus101 said:
This right here.

A big problem in the reserves is that a lot of the MCpl's and even Sgt's are pushed through the ranks so fast that the Cpl's of the Regiment they lead are their best friends who they joined with. Creates a very difficult dynamic to ensure discipline is maintained.

The Officers and SNCO's showing up as they please and leaving when they please is also a serious issue. There are some Officers whose only purpose it seems is to task someone else to polish some piece of silver or brass and then pop smoke for the night.

That's part of the issue, but it can be mitigated by holding the leaders accountable.

As for Snr NCOs leaving early, the only ones that did that were cops who were going on duty.

And no officer in my unit ever tasked anyone to polish anything!!

Jarnhamar said:
Some observations about the reserves; problems and possible fixes.

Problems.
[Caveat for the below, these aren't always the case but they do happen often IMO]
-Young officers sign in and spend the training night immersed in school books. They're spending work time studying for exams or courses or whatever other personal crap they have on the go.
-Senior officers sign in and likewise meander around, chitchat and collect a pay check for very little work.
-JNCOs and SNCOs sign in and blow off any real training or work, just there to sign in and collect a paycheck. Piss around on the internet waiting to hit the mess.
-Leadership at all levels show up with the sole intention of trying to nail down their next tasking or class B contract, no smick what their troops are doing or seem to give a crap about their subordinates development. The local armories is a welfare office for them. Happy to take but not so much give back to the unit.
-Training is boring and the normal regular parading members are stuck doing the same crap over and over while the part time -part time members are playing catch up (more on this below).
-Blatant double standards where privates are reamed out for showing up 5 minutes before everyone falls in (instead of 10) yet SNCOs or Officers show up just whenever and sign in.  The excuse of coming from another job doesn't extend below the rank of sgt.
-"bad apples" are still sent on taskings (and some of them really good ones) because at the end of the day reserve units just want to put names to cftpo messages. No visible repercussions for ***king off training or the unit.

Fixes.
-The "boring training" is a double edged sword. You need to make training interesting and fun so members want to attend but at the same time it should be relative and realistic and not assassination missions or hostage rescue ops.  I would break the training into month long blocks with each block it's own theme starting with something basic then culminating in a related exercise after 3 or 4 training nights.  Ambushes, Section movement, first aid, IEDs & minefields, defensive, comms. Whatever.  A month block would split training between core basics and fun training. It's relatively quick so people won't get bored.
-If members are shitty then forget trying to look good in front of whatever brigade and just don't send them on taskings. Bad soldiers shouldn't be rewarded with courses or 4 months employment. I'd say those bad soldiers that get sent on taskings regardless are usually the ones that get in trouble with alcohol or behavior.
-Scale training nights depending on rank. There's no need for 4 platoon commanders and 4 sergeants to show up to work (and work on school work) if there's 4 soldiers showing up for training.  I bet they would get more involved in attendance if it hit them in the wallet.
-Augment the regular force more, especially for exercises. If money is an issue then cut some headquarters positions.  On the same note space is always a premium, if the regular force are going to do a 2 week exercise then organize it in a city or area with reserves so the regs can draw on them for manpower augmentation.
there's no reason Sgts and Lts shouldn't participate in section level training, particularly small arms training.  Hop in and go through the drills on every weapon system and be intimately familiar with how it functions.  Same with section level battle drills, radio ops, etc.  The limited time avail to Reservists should be spent mastering craft, I can't think of anything else more important that they could be doing?

Hamish Seggie said:
That's part of the issue, but it can be mitigated by holding the leaders accountable.

As for Snr NCOs leaving early, the only ones that did that were cops who were going on duty.

And no officer in my unit ever tasked anyone to polish anything!!

But who is holding them accountable? and how? the brigade commander/RSM? doubt they have the time to drop in at units all the time to check up on whats going on.

Flavus101 said:
This right here.

This is not a big problem in the Reserves.  This is a BIG problem in your UNIT.

George Wallace said:

Exactly. 

Big problems in the reserves include:

Lack of clear mandate
Lack of equipment
Lack of logistical support
Increase in mandatory feel good training that eats into real training
Too many changes in the training system making it very difficult to get trained pers
Centralised training

The list goes on.  People should not mistake their own unit issues with issues at large.

George Wallace said:

I often hear the same concerns from members of other Regiments, perhaps it is in just the Ontario regiments, specifically the Infantry ones (though I doubt it).

And you can replace the "polish an item" part with any task that is tailored towards the various associations of a Reserve unit and that does nothing to improve operational skillsets.

Flavus101 said:
I often hear the same concerns from members of other Regiments, perhaps it is in just the Ontario regiments, specifically the Infantry ones (though I doubt it).

Its not just your unit, but it is something that could be solved within the units, as opposed to the great mess of "role, capability, structure, and so forth".

I know my unit's had serious leadership issues, and is particularly short on experienced NCOs and officers, but we seem to have learned some lessons on how not to develop leaders.

Flavus101 said:

And you can replace the "polish an item" part with any task that is tailored towards the various associations of a Reserve unit and that does nothing to improve operational skillsets.

I've spent 20+ years in the Reserve system, in Ontario. I won't say the problems that you and Jarnhammer are speaking of don't exist. However, you can't use that brush for all Units. There are more than a few units out there that don't appear to have these problems. So, I have to surmise that it is either a Corps problem or a Unit problem. Either way, not all units are as fooked as your's.

NinerSix said:
Don't get me wrong, I tend to be underwhelmed when unmotivated troops complain about doing the same training over and over, while still not being able to recall basic info. Sure we do battle procedure every year, but how many can rattle off something close to the 15/16/17 steps?

Sigh.

I know many full time Cbt Arm  NCMs and NCOs prior to Afghanistan who had a hard time rattling off the Steps to Battle procedure.

I'd be more concerned someone truly understands battle procedure (principles of leadership etc..) than just being able to rhyme them off like a PLQ style laundry list we've all seen.

Junior leadership is an issue with the reserves. I've seen a reservist private with 11 months in the military on his PLQ (had the maturity of a 13 year old).  How long before he was promoted to MCpl after he graduated?

The reserves seem to have an atmosphere where troops show up IF they need money or IF whatever they're doing sounds fun. One day a month doesn't cut it. Members should be told they will parade a specific number of nights a month (say 4) unless they are otherwise employed by another job. In which case, the chain of command should be given a work schedule.

Jarnhamar said:
Junior leadership is an issue with the reserves. I've seen a reservist private with 11 months in the military on his PLQ (had the maturity of a 13 year old).  How long before he was promoted to MCpl after he graduated?

I saw the same thing in the '80's in the Reg Force at CTC.  YTEP candidates offered direct transfer into the Reg Force and within months newly minted MCpls (Infantry).  An old problem or solution that will be perpetuated as needs arise. 

About five years ago, there was a serious problem in the Reserves with a shortage of MCpls.  It created quite the Catch 22.  We needed Instructors for BMQ, but had a great shortage of MCpls.  We had to find potential leaders in a hurry, so PLQ was given priority over all other crses.  Problem arose there with not enough instructors, so the process was slowed; which slowed the availability of MCpls to run BMQ to create a larger pool of potential leadership candidates, and around it went......One big vicious circle.

There are rules for NES etc.  Having to provide  work schedule;  why?  If I don't want to do Cl A on a given night, I just don't go.  You can't ppay people part time wages, and expect more than part time commitment. Nature of the beast.

George Wallace said:
It created quite the Catch 22.  We needed Instructors for BMQ, but had a great shortage of MCpls. 
Someone doesn't need to be a MCpl to instruct though. My QL3 section 2IC instructor was a cpl.  I think when we push soldiers to MCpl too fast we get immature leaders who take advantage of the rank.

Eye In The Sky said:
There are rules for NES etc.  Having to provide  work schedule;  why?  If I don't want to do Cl A on a given night, I just don't go.  You can't ppay people part time wages, and expect more than part time commitment. Nature of the beast.

There are rules for NES but having dealt first hand with that nightmare it's not effective. People slide on and off the NES list, providing their CoC is even paying attention (providing that CoC even showed up to work), with next to no repercussions. People can ditch work for months then come crawling back and they'll get sent on good summer taskings because someones gotta do it.

As far as providing a schedule when you have a part time job you still have a schedule. You don't get to decide if you want to work 10 minutes before your shift starts and keep your job.  Reservists show up if they feel like it. I'd say it's less a part time job and more a casual job.  Reservists can actually be ordered to work up to 12 days a month if I recall correctly but I believe it was Haggis who pointed out that members who are ordered to show up for work (class A) and don't would be charged in a civilian court (vice military side) which would be a mess to try and battle.  Anyone in the reserves has seen exercises where 30 people promise to show up for a weekend ex and 7 show up and theres nothing the chain of command can do about it. I've seen unit ex's where 3 soldiers show up for an exercise. Addressing accountability and making the reserves more part time (in line with civilian jobs) and less casual work would improve the level of training among other things.

Again, people should not take their experience at a couple of Reserve units and use a broad brush to paint the whole Reserve system with that experience.

From what I remember, if you were familiar with one Reserve unit, you were familiar with one Reserve unit.

I am sure times have changed since then, but I wonder how much?

Regarding NES, I just know what I read on here,

NES - Non-Effective Strength 
http://army.ca/forums/threads/732.0
3 pages.

Jarnhamar said:
Someone doesn't need to be a MCpl to instruct though. My QL3 section 2IC instructor was a cpl.  I think when we push soldiers to MCpl too fast we get immature leaders who take advantage of the rank.

It is true that one "does not need to be a MCpl" to instruct; but they must meet one of two requirements to do so:
Be a SME; or
hold the PLQ qualification necessary to instruct.  (A qualified Cpl, who holds the qual but has not been appointed MCpl)

recceguy said:
Again, people should not take their experience at a couple of Reserve units and use a broad brush to paint the whole Reserve system with that experience.
True I can only speak with familiarity with some eastern Ontario units and through word of mouth to others in Ontario.

Back