• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Discussion About Maroon Berets? split- more infantry work. Artillery or Armored

JM

2 RCHA and 2 CER are now sporting a Maroon Beret I believe Coy but it could be troop. that is 100% verified by my own 2 eyes, As well as members of 2FD Amb also sporting the Maroon not sure on the number of Medics but I believe 4

BulletMagnet said:
2 RCHA and 2 CER are now sporting a Maroon Beret
Hmmm.... I wonder if it will amount to anything other than a fashion statement -- ie, will there be any actual training/operational role.

BulletMagnet said:
JM

2 RCHA and 2 CER are now sporting a Maroon Beret I believe Coy but it could be troop. that is 100% verified by my own 2 eyes, As well as members of 2FD Amb also sporting the Maroon not sure on the number of Medics but I believe 4

I believe the CER's retained Jump Section/Troop after the disbandment stand down of CAR...

NFLD Sapper said:
I believe the CER's retained Jump Section/Troop after the disbandment stand down of CAR...

Are you sure?

I am sure that with the disbandbent of the CAR and the reorg of the SSF to 2 CMBG all those Operational Jump positions were done away with until the Jump Coys were brought back in the Bns.  As far as I know the outlying posns never got reinstated.  Does the RCD have their Jump Troop back?  This may just be a bunch of new Jumpers using their own "initiative" and you know what that could mean.

[Edit:  Mike......Your Spell Check missed my typo of "disbandbent".  ]

Not really sure George but here at the school I have seen all three berets colours with engineer cap badges walking around....

NFLD Sapper said:
There were "light troops" that contained "jump sections" but there were no designated jump positions to go along with these.  The soldiers all had basic para and often jumped with the 3rd bn, but they still wore green berets.  However, it remained possible for combat engineers to wear the maroon beret if they were posted to a jump position in CFLAWC.

If any regiment has designated jump positions now, that would be a new development.

George, haven't seen any RCDs with the Maroon beret.  Like BulletMagnet said, just been seeing Arty, Engineer and Medics with the Maroon Beret, as well as the pers in the 3RCR Jump Coy(Infantrymen, Sig, etc)

And you won't see any RCDs with the maroon beret (You never did), but they also had a Jump Troop.  I have a strong suspicion at the moment that these guys are wearing these berets on their own initiative and under lax discipline from their unit RSMs.  (It does happen.)

Not exactly so. When I was last up visiting 2 RCHA, the regiment had formed an airborne mortar troop in the battery that was affiliated with 3 RCR. There also should be a FOO party as well.

OS

If those posns were authorized by Higher (than the Regiment) I can agree.  If these pers are doing it on their own or as an initiative of the Regt, then it is still wrong.  As I have no inside knowledge of this matter, I really can not be a SME and stand to be corrected if necessary.

George Wallace said:
If these pers are doing it on their own or as an initiative of the Regt, then it is still wrong. 
Given the number of sightings mentioned above, if this was something being done by individuals or organizations below unit level, then it would have already been stomped down by the Bde CWO or respective unit RSMs.  This is described as being in more than one unit and apparently organizationally based - this is at the very least a formation (brigade) level initiative if not higher.

It may very well be that proper approvals are not in place and authorized jump positions do not exist.  However, the responsibility for that would rest high enough that none of the soldiers (including up to the RSMs) deserve an accusatory finger pointed their way.

NFLD Sapper said:
Not really sure George but here at the school I have seen all three berets colours with engineer cap badges walking around....

CFSME should ahve four colours, not three - unless the Air Force has been kicked out...

MCG said:
It may very well be that proper approvals are not in place and authorized jump positions do not exist.  However, the responsibility for that would rest high enough that none of the soldiers (including up to the RSMs) deserve an accusatory finger pointed their way.

I 'd argue the RSM responsibiltiy in this case - dress regs explain who should wear a maroon beret; the RSM should confirm that the conditions in the regulations are being met and respected.

Hey, here's an idea. Why doesn't someone, who has access, just go ask them. ::)

That, or we could spin this fifty ways to Sunday, get all pissy with each other's opinions while wrapping ourselves around the axle, only to find out no one was right anyway after 14 pages of debate. ;)

I only hope we can start wearing our "Warrior" badges again.

images
      :nod:

;D

dapaterson said:
I 'd argue the RSM responsibiltiy in this case - dress regs explain who should wear a maroon beret; the RSM should confirm that the conditions in the regulations are being met and respected.
In this case, I suspect pers who's rank is measured in bars have weighed in.  RSMs are the enforcers of dress, but even they must fall in-line when the COs or commanders order differently ... and that warrior badge illustrates this reality quite well.

There are no positions with the AHYL OSS within 2 RCHA or 2 CER.  AHYL = Basic Para.  Therefore, there is no airborne designated sub-unit within 2 RCHA 2 CER.  Therefore, IAW the CF dress manual, no one within 2 RCHA or 2 CER should wear a maroon beret.

Chapter 6, section 1, para 4e:
Paratroop Personnel and Airborne Units.
The maroon beret or turban shall be worn
with all orders of dress by qualified
parachutists wearing the army uniform, when
on the posted strength of an airborne unit,
designated airborne sub-unit or element, and
the Canadian Parachute Centre. The maroon
beret or turban is further authorized for wear
by qualified parachutists wearing the army
uniform when on staff, exchange, or liaison
duties, and, while so employed, in receipt of
paratroop allowance.

Journeyman said:
I only hope we can start wearing our "Warrior" badges again.

images
      :nod:

;D

I still have all three designations. Only ever got bronze, but found a bunch in a drawer when we stopped issueing them.

I'm going to put them all on my Frontiersman tunic when I retire ;D and refuse to give any to the other guys. ;)

Back