• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Disability Awards: Debating the System (merged)

the 48th regulator

Army.ca Fixture
Inactive
Reaction score
http://www.ottawacitizen.com/opinion/draw+line+sand+vets+disability+awards/3840181/story.html

I draw a line in sand on vets' disability awards

The Ottawa Citizen November 17, 2010 4:08 AM

It has been said that every day is Remembrance Day for families and friends who have lost a loved one in service to our great country.

In my 10 months as Minister of Veterans Affairs, I have come to understand this more profoundly than ever. As our nation's attention is focused on our veterans this month, it is appropriate that we should take the time to discuss the issues that are so important to them and their families.

I would like to re-assure all Canadians that our government has been listening to our veterans. We recognize that they have legitimate concerns, and we have acted to address them.

I feel obliged, however, to draw one line in the sand. There are those who insist that Canada should abandon the disability award, or lump-sum payment as it is known, and the ongoing financial supports that come with it. They want us to turn back the clock and fully restore the previous system of disability pensions. I believe this would be a serious error. And, quite frankly, I believe those advocating such changes probably don't know all the details of the New Veterans Charter, which was passed unanimously by Parliament in 2005.

While disability pensions had worked well following the two world wars, they had run their course. We had to correct a pension system that encouraged increasingly younger veterans to focus on proving their health was deteriorating while receiving very limited benefit from doing so. After all, the average disability pension from Veterans Affairs Canada was about $600 per month, and it came with few services and only partial medical care.

The New Veterans Charter, on the other hand, is about far more than the disability award. It also provides other ongoing financial supports. One example is the monthly earnings loss benefit. It provides eligible veterans with up to 75 per cent of their pre-release salary. With more than $2 billion in recent changes our government has announced, we are convinced that the New Veterans Charter can keep pace with the varied needs of the men and women it serves.

Jean-Pierre Blackburn,

Minister of Veterans Affairs

© Copyright (c) The Ottawa Citizen

Oh that's right, at no time did you say the changes in the "New Chapter" involved changing the lump sum.....

You are one sly man Mr. Grinch Blackburn....I meant Blackburn.

dileas

tess

We don't want the financial supports from the NVC changed, Mr Blackburn. We want the disability pensions AND those new financial supports.

I'm starting to think we need a union (and I hate unions) like in the Netherlands to get anything changed in our favour.

I wonder what happens when a senior officer or official visits Army.ca, as I know some do, to try to “take the pulse” of the military family on, say, the veterans issue, which is a current 'hot' topic in official Ottawa. How does (s)he find our views? I appears to me that a fairly laboureous search is necessary.

I suggest that we need a “Veterans' Issues” superthread made up of, at least, the following threads:

Topic: Pat Stogran says Veterans Affairs may have improperly shared his medical files  (Read 630 times);

Topic: When will the VAC changes be implemented?  (Read 1118 times);

Topic: Veteran’s wife wants bureaucrats to pay for sharing medical info  (Read 1937 times);

Topic: Older vets feel sidelined by Afghan-focused VA  (Read 637 times);

Topic: A NATIONAL DAY OF SUPPORT FOR OUR NATION’S VETERANS  (Read 1072 times);

Topic: Investigator in Stogran's office on deck as new veterans ombudsman  (Read 1034 times); and

This thread.

One of my friends got a royal shafting from VAC after being injured several years ago in IED strikes. I will not mention his name (that is his business to do so) but when they told him his injuries could have been the result of his birth and not being caught in IED strikes, whoa! Enough!

How do these people decide over the doctors and surgeon's proffessional opinion? It seems Mr Blackburn is standing by the new charter for VAC.

What needs to happen is the Canadian public has to get riled up, really riled up and write their MPs, PM etc.

This won't happen as they're too busy with Prince William and Kate (I like them both) Kate Perry and Russel Brand (he's a nimrod and butt ugly), or Angelina Jolie, Oprah etc.

Cynical you say? You bet.

Veterans Affairs.  Saving your Government dollars today on the backs of all Veterans.... 

Mr. Blackburn no matter how you try to spin it, it's baloney.  You're saving big bucks, period by screwing Vets.  I'll grant you that you've inherited this portfolio, but nevertheless the buck stops at the top.  And you're it. 

ArmyRick: To answer your question as to how, I posted this in October.

My understanding of the system VAC uses for claims is that the Adjudication Department clerk, who is not a medical professional, reviews the report of the claimants’ medical condition/claim. The Adjudication Clerk then fits the words from the medical professional's report into VAC's Table of Disabilities. Then, if the correct words are presented, and all the round pegs are fit into the appropriate holes, you may be successful with your claim.

I say words, because I have experienced this on several occasions where the appropriate phrase/word from the Table of Disabilities was not used. The prescription drug or treatment was refused with the option to appeal within sixty days.

Additionally, since 2006, VAC's Medical Officers cannot recommend anything. All they do is complete a Medical Questionnaire with words and check marks. An Adjudication Clerk can and does overrule a licensed Medical Doctor, either the VAC District Medical Officer, the military MO, or a civilian practitioner

Know what a Summary of Assessment is? The Adjudication Clerk, processing a claim, checks the summary to ascertain what you have been awarded, for what and how much, then a decision is made on a claim.

I fail to see what reviewing the Summary of Assessment has to do with a claim that is currently being assessed. VAC updates it after every decision is made.

If you appeal, guess what? That same Summary of Assessment is reviewed by the board members of your Review Hearing, or at the final appeal stage, the members of the Appeal Hearing when making their decision on your claim. The VRAB is supposed to be independent and impartial, so why do they have access to the claimants’ Summary of Assessment?

Veterans Review and Appeal Board (VRAB)

Our Vision

To demonstrate fairness, competence and excellence in service to Canadians by providing independent, consistent and reasonable decisions that are grounded in law.

Our Values

Impartiality, Excellence, Integrity, Respect, Balance
It provides eligible veterans with up to 75 per cent of their pre-release salary.

How long do you get 75% of your pre- release salary? Is it two years?

More smoke and unrealistic numbers. They fed the same thing to us here at their info session a few weeks ago.

The 75% is paid out during rehab, up to a max of 2 years. Oh...and they decide when you are done rehab, not you. I'd like to see the official numbers on how many, and for how long, people actually drew on this.

Wook

Thanks Wookilar. I thought so. Notice that the Minister left this unsaid, so the public thinks soldiers get this for life, not two years. It is misleading spin.

That 75% also includes any monthly award/ compensation that is considered by SISIP as an income when it is an award/compensation for a claimed injury.  Praying for that Class Action Lawsuit to come through.
How dare they include YOUR pain and suffering award in that 75%...it's YOU and I that suffered it ,not them. 

Its a scary day to be in an operational theater in a CF uniform by the sounds of it!

Personally I find the whole thing disgusting. The government should take a very close look at this and change it.

A very expensive spin machine is drowning us out.

VAC is all about promises and stalling. They always build you up and then don't really deliver. They promise a Christmas feast but all you get is that weird little piece of bread from an IMP and NO PEANUT BUTTER. I am starting to think all these promises without timetables are probably bull***t public relations.

I bet Peter McKay will quit over this.

the 48th regulator said:
http://www.ottawacitizen.com/opinion/draw+line+sand+vets+disability+awards/3840181/story.html

I feel obliged, however, to draw one line in the sand. There are those who insist that Canada should abandon the disability award, or lump-sum payment as it is known, and the ongoing financial supports that come with it. They want us to turn back the clock and fully restore the previous system of disability pensions. I believe this would be a serious error. And, quite frankly, I believe those advocating such changes probably don't know all the details of the New Veterans Charter, which was passed unanimously by Parliament in 2005.

Jean-Pierre Blackburn,

Minister of Veterans Affairs[/color]

For a guy who's supposed to "hear the Veterans of Canada" --- Yes indeed; they don't know the details of the NVA -- despite the fact that they are the injured Vets subsisting under that NVA.  Is it just bad listening skills??  ::)

What part of the conversation has the Minister missed?? Revert to the old way? NO WAY!! YOU should have been paying for the psych care etc of those war-injured Vets since Canada became a nation, yet you were not. It took the NVA to do that!! But, to cover the costs of that, YOU ( you are the helm of the ship now) cut your losses by implementing lump sum in lieu of monthly pension so that today's injured Vets can subsist.

No one wants to erase everything and go back to a simple disability pension!! Nice spin though. There are good things about the NVA ... KEEP those - they already came decades too late for our forefathers ...

JUST hurry up and replace the lump-sum portion of the NVA with the monthly pension as it should have remained so that Canada's injured do not have to subsist as you currently have them doing. You've been talking to Vets, you DO know the difference full well.

Grovelling; that's what it feels like. Disgusting.

We as vets are gonna go crazy waiting for everything to go the way we want it too. Blackburn is just another penny pinching arsehole whos trying to look good to the rest of the house of commons. I don't trust any of them. I'll wait and see if we ever get monthly payments back. We probably won't.

Damn it feels good to let that out. I wish I could just send an email to Blackburn himself.

Mat

Nemo888 said:
A very expensive spin machine is drowning us out.

VAC is all about promises and stalling. They always build you up and then don't really deliver. They promise a Christmas feast but all you get is that weird little piece of bread from an IMP and NO PEANUT BUTTER. I am starting to think all these promises without timetables are probably bull***t public relations.

I bet Peter McKay will quit over this.

Great post, I'm laughing at the rats/bread and no peanut butter, that always sucks.  I'll take your bet for a Tims+donut that McKay won't quit. At the end of a MPs term in politics, lies a rainbow with a pot of golden benefits and rations filled with Barolo, foie gras, fresh baguettes and brie. All the best, Dan.

I am a bit ignorant on this matter and those that know please educate me.

I do understand the monthly payments in the old system were better.

Were they any disadvantages to the old system? I am asking because I am really wondering why this new (screw the) vets charter came in.

News Release  http://www.vac-acc.gc.ca/general/sub.cfm?source=department/press/viewrelease&id=1042

November 17, 2010
Government of Canada Introduces Legislation to Improve Financial Aid for Canadian Forces Personnel and Veterans

Ottawa - Today, the Honourable Jean-Pierre Blackburn, Minister of Veterans Affairs and Minister of State (Agriculture), tabled changes to the New Veterans Charter to significantly improve financial support for injured Canadian Forces members and Veterans.

"In tabling these legislative changes today, we are writing a new chapter to the New Veterans Charter. These changes, totaling two billion dollars, will greatly improve the quality of life of our Veterans. Our government is determined to see that our Veterans and their families receive all the care, the services and the financial support they need and deserve," said Minister Blackburn.

Improved monthly benefits

First, by amending regulations, the government will establish a minimum pre-tax income of $40,000 a year for Veterans who can no longer work and for those who are in rehabilitation.

The Enhanced New Veterans Charter Act, introduced in the House of Commons today, increases monthly financial support for injured Veterans who are no longer able to work. If passed, this Act will:

* expand eligibility for monthly allowances for seriously injured Veterans (up to $1,609 per month, for life).
    * introduce an additional $1,000 monthly supplement to help our most seriously injured or ill Veterans.

Flexible options for the Disability Award

Create new options for Canadian Forces members and Veterans who would prefer to receive the existing lump sum Disability Award as either an annual payment over any number of years or as a combination of a partial lump-sum payment and annual instalments.

"We have heard the concerns of Veterans and their families about the challenges of managing a large sum of money. They will now be able to spread their payment out over a number of years of their choice. As well, it is important to remember that the lump sum does not replace the monthly disability pension. The lump sum is an immediate recognition of suffering and pain that is added to the financial benefits mentioned above and other services available under the New Veterans Charter. If the legislation is adopted, on top of the lump sum Disability Award, our most seriously injured Veterans who are no longer able to work will receive at least $58,000 per year," added Minister Blackburn.

With today's announcement, Veterans who receive a Disability Award will have the choice between:

* annual payments spread out over the number of years of their choice (with interest);
    * part of the award as a lump sum and the rest as annual payments over the number of years of their choice (with interest); or
    * a single lump sum payment.

Furthermore, at any time, Veterans who so choose may change their minds and receive the remaining amount as a lump-sum payment.

Dominion President, Mrs. Patricia Varga, of The Royal Canadian Legion stated, "This Bill, as a first step, makes great strides in improving the New Veterans Charter and encompasses many of the recommendations made by the New Veterans Charter Advisory Group and the Standing Committee on Veterans Affairs. The Legion considers that further improvements are needed to the Charter on which we look forward to continue the ongoing dialogue with Minister Blackburn."

"With this Bill, we applaud the Government for keeping its promise that the New Veterans Charter is truly a living document," said Ray Kokkonen, President of the Canadian Peacekeeping Veterans Association. "Naturally, we are pleased to have had a role in this matter and that our advice and recommendations have been heard. Advocating for significantly increasing the financial support to our severely wounded Veterans, to allow them live with dignity, is a top priority for our organization. Accordingly, we are very glad to see this challenging issue being addressed. We will continue cooperating closely with Minister Blackburn on other matters related to the Charter to ensure that the ongoing and emerging needs of our Veterans and their families are met."

Backgrounder - Additional details on the Enhanced New Veterans Charter Act below:

Additional Details on the Enhanced New Veterans Charter Act

Backgrounder

Today, the Government of Canada tabled legislation to enact significant improvements to the financial support available to injured Canadian Forces (CF) members and Veterans. If passed, the Enhanced New Veterans Charter Act will make changes to the New Veterans Charter to address concerns raised by Veterans, their families, Veterans’ organizations, advisory groups and parliamentary committees.

This legislation would:

* improve access to monthly benefits for seriously injured Veterans (up to $1,609 per month, for life);
    * introduce a monthly $1,000 supplement for life to help our most seriously injured or ill Veterans; and
    * provide flexible options for receiving a Disability Award by choosing either a lump-sum payment, annual instalments over a number of years or a combination of both.

Improve access to the Permanent Impairment Allowance and the Exceptional Incapacity Allowance:

Often CF Veterans who are compensated for their injuries under the Pension Act later receive a new diagnosis. This new injury or illness is then compensated for under the Charter. Currently, there is a gap between the Pension Act and the New Veterans Charter that prevents Veterans from having all of their injuries considered for eligibility for the Permanent Impairment Allowance (PIA) or the Exceptional Incapacity Allowance (EIA). This leaves the Veteran unable to meet the criteria for accessing either the PIA or the EIA.

In this context, since the Charter was adopted, only 16 Veterans have been eligible for the PIA.

A Veteran may receive a 70% Disability Pension under the old system and a 30% Disability Award under the New Veterans Charter. Under the current rules, the Veteran is unable to access EIA because we cannot combine the 70% Disability Pension and the 30% Disability Award to meet the disability assessment threshold of 98–100% required to access the EIA. A different but equally important problem exists because today, if a Veteran’s rehabilitation need is related to a pensioned condition (in this example, the condition assessed at 70%) he or she is also not eligible for the PIA.

This change is expected to extend eligibility to as many as 3,500 more Veterans.

Introduce a monthly $1,000 supplement for permanently and severely injured Veterans:

Severely injured Veterans who are receiving the PIA and are unable to be gainfully employed will receive an additional $1,000 per month for the rest of their lives. This would be added to other financial supports they may receive, notably a minimum of $40,000 pre-tax per year as an Earnings Loss benefit. It is anticipated that approximately 500 Veterans will benefit from this change over the next five years.

Provide payment options for the Disability Award:

The tax-free Disability Award is currently a one-time payment designed solely to recognize and compensate for the non-economic impact (the pain and loss) of an injury or illness. It is in addition to other financial supports (such as the monthly Earnings Loss benefit and the PIA) which recognize the ongoing economic impact of an injury. Under this proposed change to the New Veterans Charter, CF members and Veterans will have new options for receiving their Disability Award. These options are:

* equal annual payments spread out over the number of years of their choice (with interest);
    * a partial lump-sum payment with the balance paid out in annual installments over any number of years (with interest); or
    * a single lump-sum payment.

Veterans who so choose will be able—at any time—to switch to a lump-sum payment to receive the balance owing to them.

Introduce a minimum annual Earnings Loss benefit:

In addition to the legislated changes outlined above, the regulations which govern the New Veterans Charter will be amended to include a minimum annual, pre-tax income of $40,000 for recipients of the monthly Earnings Loss benefit. This enhancement should increase the monthly financial support available to approximately 2,300 Veterans over the next five years who either left the Canadian Forces while still at a low military rank or when military salaries were much lower than they are today.

So someone who has a big hearing loss disability and was awarded say, 50k, can only break down that 50k over however many months that they want? So when the 50k runs out there done receiving payments? That's retarded. It's still not fair. Other vets from the old system could get $700 a month for hearing loss for the rest of there lives. At a young age to start claiming the benefit they would make tons more than the new system. I'm pissed! I may be coming across as greedy but hell yeah I'm greedy. After an injury from service the least that us vets could get is some cash! I don't want more holidays, I don't want a sandwich, I want cash!

I understand that in the private insurance world, the main focus is on reducing or eliminating payouts. I get that, in all it's cold-heartedness. These are money guys, and it is a competitive market place. What I find really disgusting and indefensible, is that we have a GOVERNMENT insurance system whose sole mandate is to provide care (in various forms) for injuried vets. It is NOT a money making system, and it is not a competitive market place. Yet, the principle of reducing claims and benefits to the beneficiary (the VET) is still a high (and I think top) priority.

VAC is not there to reduce costs, it is not there to be a money-maker (it should ALWAYS lose money), it is there to adequately care for vets and do whatever they can to return him/her to the physical, mental, and psychological condition he/she was prior to the injury. The cost in doing so is almost irrelevant. If they want to reduce costs, the time to do that is not AFTER the injury, it's in preventing the injury in the first place.

Fire the lot of 'em.

Back