• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Direct Entry Officer (DEO) questions [Merged]

CDN Aviator said:
20 minutes is double what i had overseas on my first tour. Just to put things into perspective for you.

Not to mention, I'm sure the member was well aware that his spouse was due when he accepted the call to go.  Career decisions don't always line up with life decisions.

Blake said:
A friend of mine was telling me about the 5 weeks of concrete walls... I think she said something about shack fever or something. I accept that I will hate a lot of it, there aren't many jobs out there that people won't hate.

It's easy to focus on hating the small shit until that's all you're doing. Learn to see past the small stuff and not let it affect you,. Don't waste any time or energy on it.

The first 5 weeks were the hardest of Basic, you get shat on a lot from staff and are limited to being inside the Mega unless you are accompanied by staff, never after hours.
Remember this golden rule about Basic.
There are no Right nor Wrong answers, it is about learning and adapting to different situations.  Learning how to be efficient, like being clean shaven each morning by 5:05am but only getting up at 5am. 

Learning what you are good at and what you are not, ie polishing boots versus ironing shirts and trading that skill for ones you are not efficient at. 

I look back at basic and see all the good times and fun it was, but there was a lot of stress and pain involved.

Fall is a very good time, Farnam is f-ing COLD in the winter, like -30c cold.  I did my final exercises in December and we all fought off frost bite on FOB security(standing around not moving much.)

Well thats it.

I graduated from high school last year and was hoping to attend Carleton University in Ottawa and get a BA in Political Science.

The CF website states that "you must have a degree in a suitable discipline" Would political science be a "suitable discipline"?
Would I have to be in university for 3 years (General BA) or 4 years (Honors) to be considered for DEO?
Lastly, what exactly are the standards to be accepted into DEO (Direct Entry Officer)? Medical standards? Other qualifications?

Any information will be great.
Thanks

I could very well be wrong (it's been a little while since I was in uni), but I didn't think universities in ON have 3-year General degrees anymore? 

To add to PMM's point on enrollment standards, "extra" standards will depend on the specific trade (e.g. aircrew testing for aircrew trades) 

Take a read through the (many) threads related to this.  You're going to a school for Poli Sci; that will involve a lot of reading and research.  Take this as a "pre-univ opportunity" to do some research on something you're actually interested in.

:2c:

Dimsum said:
I could very well be wrong (it's been a little while since I was in uni), but I didn't think universities in ON have 3-year General degrees anymore? 

To add to PMM's point on enrollment standards, "extra" standards will depend on the specific trade (e.g. aircrew testing for aircrew trades) 

Take a read through the (many) threads related to this.  You're going to a school for Poli Sci; that will involve a lot of reading and research.  Take this as a "pre-univ opportunity" to do some research on something you're actually interested in.

:2c:

Just to clarify, most Universities still offer the 3 year BA, however it is mostly for the Humanities and Social Science departments. The four year programs in Humanities and Social Sciences are almost always Honours programs  and are for people pursuing more than one major.

Your BA in Political Science would be good for the Combat Arms trades, however with just a 3 year degree you will be looking at stiff competition from those who did the extra year in an Honours program. My recommendation is to stick it out and go for a 4 year program, as this will make you a more competitive candidate. Furthermore, most Master degree programs require you to have a 4 year degree to apply to them, and those that say they accept 3 year degrees rarely ever actually do. Although you may not consider graduate school now, it could be something to think about later in your career.

So I've been browsing these forums for the past few days as well as doing a bit of research, but I thought I'd make a post to try and get a better grasp of things. As well before I get started, this is not a "Should I join?" thread - I'm very capable of making that decision myself. But to do so, I'm looking for as much information as I can, hence why I am here.

I'm 20 years old and currently in my 3rd year of university in Alberta studying history. However, unless I decide on going back to school (for either teaching, law, or grad school) there really isn't that much in terms of a (promising) career that I find appealing. I feel like I lack a bit of motivation and after going through these forums and the CF website, I'm becoming more and more interested. Getting paid to work my ass off to get into good physical shape while at the same time greatly improving my leadership skills, challenging myself every day (both mentally and physically) and being a part of something bigger than myself? Sounds like a reality check I could use.

After taking a look around here, I'm still absolutely dead-set on finishing my degree before I do anything hasty. This is a given. However, I don't quite see the CF as a career I would have until I retire. I was thinking more along the lines of becoming full-time for the initial contract (3-9 years depending on the trade correct?) then seeing how it goes from there. Is this even possible or are you pretty much stuck for the long-haul?

I've also read that if you have a University degree, you can apply for a direct entry-officer position or something along those lines (correct me if I'm wrong). I'm not sure why, but becoming a pilot or infantry officer (or just infantry) is becoming increasingly appealing to me. Not for the whole "romanticism" of it or "omgz liek i'll headshot noobz", but just to challenge myself and at least try something way out of my comfort zone.

I used to train in Tae Kwon-Do and after watching several episodes of Basic Up! and other training videos, I'm always reminded of my instructor - big fella' who loves to yell. I've been out of training for several years but I seriously miss that yelling and screaming at me to push myself, go harder and just do better. At everything.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, cheers!

-Steve

TheSneak109 said:
So I've been browsing these forums for the past few days as well as doing a bit of research, but I thought I'd make a post to try and get a better grasp of things. As well before I get started, this is not a "Should I join?" thread - I'm very capable of making that decision myself. But to do so, I'm looking for as much information as I can, hence why I am here.

I'm 20 years old and currently in my 3rd year of university in Alberta studying history. However, unless I decide on going back to school (for either teaching, law, or grad school) there really isn't that much in terms of a (promising) career that I find appealing. I feel like I lack a bit of motivation and after going through these forums and the CF website, I'm becoming more and more interested. Getting paid to work my *** off to get into good physical shape while at the same time greatly improving my leadership skills, challenging myself every day (both mentally and physically) and being a part of something bigger than myself? Sounds like a reality check I could use.

After taking a look around here, I'm still absolutely dead-set on finishing my degree before I do anything hasty. This is a given. However, I don't quite see the CF as a career I would have until I retire. I was thinking more along the lines of becoming full-time for the initial contract (3-9 years depending on the trade correct?) then seeing how it goes from there. Is this even possible or are you pretty much stuck for the long-haul?How long you stay in is entirely up to you, even with a signed contract for 3-9+ years, Many people I know stayed in 2, 5, 10 or 15 years and even more were in 25+

I've also read that if you have a University degree, you can apply for a direct entry-officer position or something along those lines (correct me if I'm wrong). I'm not sure why, but becoming a pilot or infantry officer (or just infantry) is becoming increasingly appealing to me. Not for the whole "romanticism" of it or "omgz liek i'll headshot noobz", but just to challenge myself and at least try something way out of my comfort zone.
University Degree qualifies you for CERTAIN DEO positions, not all.  Pilot requires additional testing and at least perfect vision/hearing.  Search www.Forces.ca view the career videos and go from there
I used to train in Tae Kwon-Do and after watching several episodes of Basic Up! and other training videos, I'm always reminded of my instructor - big fella' who loves to yell. I've been out of training for several years but I seriously miss that yelling and screaming at me to push myself, go harder and just do better. At everything.
Less yelling on basic now then 15 years ago, still lots especially if you encounter a certain PO in the weapons section

-Steve

Not sure if these answers above in bold help or hinder your process.  I WISH I had joined right from high school looking back.  I'd be about 10 years from retirement rather then stuck in a dead end position with a horrible company.  Best of luck to you!

SentryMAn said:
Pilot requires additional testing and at least perfect vision

No, it does not require perfect vision.

But pilot has not been accepting DEO applicants for the past year or two.

To put in my  :2c:. I also plan to apply as a DEO when I finish my degree in history. I'm at Memorial University of Newfoundland and we don't have 3 year programs, just 4 years and an honors program which runs concurrently with your fourth year if you wish to do it and have above a 3.0 GPA. I think this is just one of those situations in which different institutions have different programs, and whether they are equivalent or not in practice, they are viewed as equivalent. Your 3 year B.A. in Poli-Sci is the same as my 4 year B.A. in History, they are both Bachelors of Arts. As well if you choose to do your 4th year and your honors it would be the same as me doing an honors (which I am) along with my 4th year. we'd both have a B.A. of Arts with Honors.

So to sum that up, I wouldn't worry to much about how long it takes to do (it's taken me 5 years to do a 4 year program because of work and family commitments), just that you do it and in the end have that piece of paper that says, "Hey, I've got a B.A. and know how to do something!"

Again just my  :2c:.

If your marks are high enough, (and recruiting numbers are low) I feel that it wouldn't hurt to go for your honors.  You can always apply to the CF before you finish your studies anyway.

When I had my interview I was told that having an honors degree helped me because it put me ahead  of all those with a regular BSC with regards to education.  It may not have been the deciding factor to me getting accepted but you never know.

Also, having an honors degree will also aid you in the possibility of pursuing graduate studies later on in your career.  Food for thought folks.

Movig this on over to DEO questions thread - see ya' there!

Milnet.ca Staff

SentryMAn said:
Not sure if these answers above in bold help or hinder your process.  I WISH I had joined right from high school looking back.  I'd be about 10 years from retirement rather then stuck in a dead end position with a horrible company.  Best of luck to you!

Thank you, they were indeed helpful.

Also in my original post, I said I'm in my 3rd year of studies - it's a 4 year program (which will probably take me an additional semester at the very least).  But like I said, I'm going to finish the degree first and then start the recruiting phase.

That sounds like a good idea. I'm not sure if it has changed but when I got in I applied several months before I was expecting to graduate. That way, the process started and moved along until I finished school.

jeffb said:
That sounds like a good idea. I'm not sure if it has changed but when I got in I applied several months before I was expecting to graduate. That way, the process started and moved along until I finished school.

I was actually thinking about that as well. I've read on here that for some it takes months or years for their application to go through and start BMQ, others say it's a breeze  :-\

You sound a lot like me, one year earlier. I debated going to grad school or possibly becoming a teacher but did not like the opportunities that seemed to be available. I applied early this year as a DEO and can honestly say I do not regret a moment of it.

Finishing your degree is an excellent first step - there are limited opportunities available in the forces as compared to the past and finishing your degree leaves your options open. If your set on a military career, start your application process early - a few months before you graduate. I was through the system fairly quickly, but even then it was 5 months from application to Basic. Most of the people I am currently with took around 6-12 months, some even longer. It is not a quick process, but it does develop patience.

DEO applicants usually sign on for 9 years of service, though some seem to be as few as 7, or as high as 10 depending on their trade. I can only speak for the Combat Arms but all of us current Cadets had 9 year contracts. They will be investing lots of money into your training, therefore would like to see a return of a number of years after you are fully qualified to justify how much training you recieved. Training for myself (Infantry Officer) will be around 18ish months, assuming all the courses line up. Two years would not be unreasonable. While it is possible to leave before the end of your contract, it would likely have repercussions (issues getting hired in the public service sector, military, etc). Officers tend have longer contracts then NCM's, again due to the amount of training provided.

I would strongly recommend learning as much as you can about your desired trade (s) before putting in your application - Many people applied with their impressions from movies and books and were less then impressed when they learned what a ruck march was. If possible, sit down with a recruiter or someone from a local reserve unit and find out what military life actually looks like, or better yet consider joining the reserves to get a taste yourself before signing a large contract.

Feel free to toss messages my way if you had specific questions

TheSneak109 said:

I'm 20 years old and currently in my 3rd year of university in Alberta studying history. However, unless I decide on going back to school (for either teaching, law, or grad school) there really isn't that much in terms of a (promising) career that I find appealing. I feel like I lack a bit of motivation and after going through these forums and the CF website, I'm becoming more and more interested. Getting paid to work my *** off to get into good physical shape while at the same time greatly improving my leadership skills, challenging myself every day (both mentally and physically) and being a part of something bigger than myself? Sounds like a reality check I could use.

After taking a look around here, I'm still absolutely dead-set on finishing my degree before I do anything hasty. This is a given. However, I don't quite see the CF as a career I would have until I retire. I was thinking more along the lines of becoming full-time for the initial contract (3-9 years depending on the trade correct?) then seeing how it goes from there. Is this even possible or are you pretty much stuck for the long-haul?

-Steve

I was in a 4-year honours program, History, but the learning curve was flattening out in 3rd year and I was so sick of school, so I just finished a year early with a 3-year general BA. The recruiters saw that I met the minimum requirements for my occupation (DEO Infantry) and that was good enough. It wasn't until I had my interview with the captain, and he asked why I left school a year early. I told him that school's a waste of time, there's nothing more for me to learn, just longer papers and exams, and I'd rather join now rather than waiting another year. So if anyone asks, just tell them you didn't want to waste another year rotting in university when you can be applying yourself so much more effectively in the military, learning new skills, taking on new challenges, stepping outside your comfort zone etc.

P.S. if one day you want to go to grad school, just look international. A lot of countries only require a 3 year degree.

Ayrsayle said:
While it is possible to leave before the end of your contract, it would likely have repercussions (issues getting hired in the public service sector, military, etc).

NO, NO, NO!  Am I clear enough on this folks?  As long as you complete your obligatory service (usually around three years for DEO), you will be fine.  There are no repercussions of the nature you are describing for simply not completing your initial engagement (the correct term - we don't have "contracts").  In other words, getting out of the CF after three years because you feel it isn't for you will not affect any future applications for the Public Service, re-enrolling in the CF later, etc.  However, if you are thrown out of the CF or whine your way out before completing any obligatory service, then there may be some repercussions, but not otherwise.

The only things you give up by not completing your initial engagement (usually about nine years for officers) are usually associated with relocation benefits, severance pay and how we treat your pension contributions (you never lose pension contributions, but how you get them back can vary).

On a different note, for those of you who are just starting out in university, have you considered ROTP vice DEO?  What is the appeal of paying for it yourself (i.e. no one will thank you for it)?  It would seem to me that graduating debt free, with up to four years pensionable service under belt and into a higher pay rate has a great deal of appeal over a lower salary and a student loan to pay back.

Pusser said:
On a different note, for those of you who are just starting out in university, have you considered ROTP vice DEO?  What is the appeal of paying for it yourself (i.e. no one will thank you for it)?  It would seem to me that graduating debt free, with up to four years pensionable service under belt and into a higher pay rate has a great deal of appeal over a lower salary and a student loan to pay back.

I saw a ROTP guy who decided in CAP that he wanted out of the CF. The instructors made his life a living hell for the summer, until they finally let him release. But they told us how stupid of a move it was, since the CF paid for his education. Now he owes A LOT of money back and a whole lot of other repercussions. Make sure you know what you're getting into.

Back