• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Did anybody apply through the Canadian Forces Virtual Recruiting Centre

penteyrn said:
The crazy thing is that I just got a call.

They've decided to close my file. The person on the telephone said my weaknesses were scoring zero on activities and interests (I formally exercise once a week) and zero on current leadership activities. Frankly, I'm a little surprised - I was under the impression my fitness would be tested with some sort of exam (when I do my weekly exercise I make sure I can do the Forces physical requirements with no problem) and that leadership potential was gauged with aptitude testing. I suppose they're looking for recruits with management experience?

Anyway, it's a rant. I'm left confused, but I guess my journey ends here. Thanks for the response!

If you want it, take the feedback to heart, ask questions and figure out what you need to do next.

Leadership experience doesn't necessarily need to be gained through formal managing within an employment atmosphere; coaching/asst. coaching a team, organizing community events (perhaps some sort of fundraiser), volunteering at a local Y in the kid's programs, or if it's easier to keep things within a job environment, bring new ideas to your manager on how you think a certain task could be made easier. If you can sell an idea, they may put you in charge of initiating the new standard. Think outside the box. There are many ways to make yourself more appealing.

As for "formal" exercising, yes, you definitely need to increase it. Simply saying you can 'meet the standard' by working out once per week won't leave a lasting, positive, impression.

Things didn't work out as planned for you this time around, but you've been told exactly what you need to improve upon. There are many recruiters who will be willing to offer sound advice on how you can become more competitive. There is also a ton of information on this site to give you a hand as well. Good luck!

penteyrn said:
The crazy thing is that I just got a call.

They've decided to close my file. The person on the telephone said my weaknesses were scoring zero on activities and interests (I formally exercise once a week) and zero on current leadership activities. Frankly, I'm a little surprised - I was under the impression my fitness would be tested with some sort of exam (when I do my weekly exercise I make sure I can do the Forces physical requirements with no problem) and that leadership potential was gauged with aptitude testing. I suppose they're looking for recruits with management experience?

Anyway, it's a rant. I'm left confused, but I guess my journey ends here. Thanks for the response!

When I filled out my paperwork earlier this year, I got the forms and took a couple of days to fill out it.  Not that I needed that much time.  It did allow me to ensure I was punctual, descriptive and relevant with my information.  Think about what do you enjoy doing for activities.  Then write it down.  After you have a nice list that is relevant fill out the forms.  No volunteer experience?  Find a local soup kitchen.  All towns have them.  A hour a day for a week serving up lunch will do wonders for your own personal life experience and every resume/application you write for the remainder of your life.  Do you like to swim, ski, play hockey? ugh golf! :)

Do you know anyone in positions of authority with leadership experience? Lawyers, Police, Nurses, Doctors, Dentist, Firemen, Politicians, Scientists,  Talk to them.  It has taken them years of dedication to get to where they are.

Good Luck.

kevincanada said:
No volunteer experience?  Find a local soup kitchen.  All towns have them. 

I know you are just giving advice, but that is just not factually true. Even many of the towns which do have a food bank handing out meals do not allow volunteers off the street because they have paid employees or they reserve the work experience for other people part of back to work programs/youth work programs. Many small towns legitimately don't have official volunteer opportunities, and sometimes traveling to another city is not an option. In this case, I would recommend creating your own volunteer program: Picking up trash. Walk around your town for 2 hours a week with a plastic bag and pick up trash. Can't say whether the CF will accept this or not to score you higher, but it is better than nothing.

Alright let me rephrase.  All towns over X amount of population.  Smaller towns try a church.  Good luck. 

I sent my application through the Canadian Forces Virtual Recruiting Centre on July 9th, 2013. I just sent an email today regarding my application to make sure they received my transcripts and birth certificate. Its been 6 weeks so far and I'm very eager to receive a response. My buddy who attends RMC told me to start calling but I think ill wait another 2 weeks after seeing how long some of you have waited.

Back