• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Designing your own equipment do people actually do it?

PuckChaser said:
I'm currently deployed with that last of the trial rigs, and posted pictures and details of my rig here: http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/99830/post-1097312.html#msg1097312

I have issues with imageshack from Kabul, so if the pictures are gone I can take a few more and repost here. The rest of the thread has details on the other 2 rigs trialed.

The SORD rig's not bad - but I'm really, really wishing we had something integrated like... well... every other army here. It's just easier to have MOLLE on the armour and whatever you need attached - one item to deal with.

Redeye said:
The SORD rig's not bad - but I'm really, really wishing we had something integrated like... well... every other army here. It's just easier to have MOLLE on the armour and whatever you need attached - one item to deal with.

Would you be suggesting something like our friends to the South use?

Just to add on what the Americans use,  they have the PALs webbing on their plate carriers,IOTV, etc so pouches can be mounted directly on,  as well the Army and Marines have chest rigs that you can add pouches onto and mount the chest rig right onto their plater carrier.  IMO that is a good system,  gives the individual the choice if they wish to directly mount pouches to their body armour,  or the option of mounting a chest rig so you can go slick, or with FFO as needed,

Tactical Assault Panel
http://soldiersystems.net/blog1/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/IOTV-in-OCP-with-TAP-mounted.jpg
http://loadbearingequipment.ciehub.info/FILBE/ChestRig.png

Canadians do have plate carriers, etc that pouches can be directly placed onto via PALs/MOLLE but it is only for CPP and CANSOF at this time.

IRepoCans said:
Would you be suggesting something like our friends to the South use?

Yes. And everywhere else. I work with Australians, Italians, Brits, Germans, and Americans. They all integrate their armour and load carriage. It's much simpler.

Makes sense, so it would be more cost effective if the armour carrier had rows of PALs webbing instead of using a armour carrier with a chest rig. Example the CIRAS armour carrier:
Eagle%20MOLLE%20CIRAS%20LAND%20khaki.jpg

IRepoCans said:
Makes sense, so it would be more cost effective if the armour carrier had rows of PALs webbing instead of using a armour carrier with a chest rig. Example the CIRAS armour carrier:

Cost effective shouldn't really play a part when it comes to PPE and FFO.  IMO you should be able to have the choice to mount pouches directly onto the vest, or wear a chest rig that can be worn stand alone or mounted  on the plate carrier.

Helmet on for a moment...when we were in Croatia in the mid 90's, they were trialling the Gen 2 armour (the stiff Israeli thing) with built on load carriage - purpose designed mag carriers, plate pouches and they'd actually sewn part of an '82 pattern web belt onto the bottom rear/sides so you could secure your water bottle and C9 pouches if you wanted.  It actually made sense at the time as well - we were guntaping and bungeeing stuff onto the vests in a manner that just caused issues...not to mention the mags not always fitting well into the breast pockets if the vest was new - we had to bungee the pockets shut.  Helmet off.

MM

So assuming that the superninjasnipers do have easier standards on equipment they just go with a plate carrier with PALs and crack it out with all the Gucci they can grab. Why then don't the rest of the forces have a selected PALs armour carrier with an assortment of pouches and packs?

Lets not go crazy, we won a major battle getting rid of that POS "tactical (fishing) vest".

In 20 years we'll get whatever the CANSOF guys are using that has MOLLE/PALS and doubles as a plate carrier/kevlar. Who knows, maybe the winning bid for ISSP will be a combination rig.

IRepoCans said:
So assuming that the superninjasnipers do have easier standards on equipment they just go with a plate carrier with PALs and crack it out with all the Gucci they can grab. Why then don't the rest of the forces have a selected PALs armour carrier with an assortment of pouches and packs?

Likely something to do with the money:soldier ratio being alot higher in SF than in the green army.

MM

http://www.army.mil/article/67318/_Ironman__a_game_changer_on_battlefield/

'Ironman' a game-changer on battlefield

FORWARD OPERATING BASE MEHTAR Lam, Afghanistan, Oct. 14, 2011 -- It all began during an intense 2 1/2-hour firefight with the enemy earlier this year in Afghanistan.

As members of the 1st Battalion, 133rd Infantry Regiment, 2nd Brigade Combat Team, 34th Infantry Division, Iowa National Guard, sat around later at Forward Operating Base Mehtar Lam and discussed the engagement, they talked about how three-man teams manning crew-served weapons struggled to stay together over difficult terrain in fluid battles.

Someone mentioned actor Jesse Ventura in the movie "Predator." His character brandished an M-134 Mini-gun fed by an ammo box on his back. After the Soldiers had a good laugh over that thought, Staff Sgt. Vincent Winkowski asked why a gunner couldn't carry a combat load of ammo. He decided to pursue the idea.

"When we first arrived in theater in late October (2010), we were issued the Mk 48 7.62 mm machine guns," Winkowski said. "This was a new piece of equipment for us, and we struggled to come up with a solution for carrying and employing ammunition for it due to our small size and the inability to have a designated ammo bearer, as is common doctrine with the M240B.

"The ammunition sacks that came with it made it too cumbersome and heavy to carry over long, dismounted patrols and especially when climbing mountains. Initially, we came up with using 50-round belts and just reloading constantly, which led to lulls of fire and inefficiency."

So Winkowski grabbed an old ALICE (all-purpose lightweight individual carrying equipment) frame, welded two ammunition cans together -- one atop the other after cutting the bottom out of the top can -- and strapped the fused cans to the frame. To that he added a MOLLE (modular, lightweight load-carrying equipment) pouch to carry other equipment.

"We wondered why there wasn't some type of dismounted (Common Remote Operating Weapons Station) that fed our machine guns instead of a mini-gun as portrayed in the movie," Winkowski said. "So, I decided to try it using the feed chute assembly off of the vehicle CROWS. We glued a piece of wood from an ammo crate inside the ammo cans to create the decreased space necessary so the rounds would not fall in on each other.

"My Mark 48 gunners, Spc. Derick Morgan and Spc. Aaron McNew, who also had input to the design and evaluation, took it to the range and tested it, and even with its initial shortcomings, it was much better than the current TTP (tactics, techniques and procedures) we employed. On Feb. 26, 2011, our prototype 'Ironman' pack even saw its first combat use by Spc. McNew when our squad was ambushed by up to 50 fighters in a river valley, and it worked great!"

size0.jpg

As was mentioned earlier the 'Roll Your Own' thread on www.lightfighter.net is a good resource for the home sewer. 

Another one is www.diytactical.com/forums which is one of the best resources on the web for people designing and building their own tactical gear, both for personal use, or for commercial sale.

Cheers,

Matt

Matt_Fisher said:
As was mentioned earlier the 'Roll Your Own' thread on www.lightfighter.net is a good resource for the home sewer. 

Another one is www.diytactical.com/forums which is one of the best resources on the web for people designing and building their own tactical gear, both for personal use, or for commercial sale.

Cheers,

Matt

Thanks for the link, I'll post around some of my questions on there not 18 yet so I can't go on lightfighter.

Hey guys I have a question: so if you could have a plate carrier with molle what features would you want in the design? You can use existing plate carriers and equipment to show what you would want in this 'carrier'.

I was thinking a quick release system of some sort so the Medical Tech doesn't have to shear through your armour, leaving you without a armour when being carried to the medvac.

I wouldn't bother making plate carriers to market to the CF as the majority of the CF would not be able to use it.  Issue FPV only.

What kind of niche are you looking for,  how are you going to stand out and make people want to buy your stuff, when theres companies that are very well known,  good products, and have government contracts,  etc like LBT and so on.

Not saying I'm marketing I'm just flexing my designing muscles that haven't been used as of late, figured I'd put them for something practical other then medieval fantasy sketches or the latter. I see your point of view on the subject, don't assume all sixteen year olds are 'Airsofting/Gear whoring wannabes' I'm just asking a no bullshit question what people would like, do some sketches and hell if I can afford it make some prototypes, but like I mentioned its just a hobby to draw out things.

Not to be mean,  but you are 16,  from what I can tell no experience with making gear, etc  and you are wanting to get into a very populated market,  it's not going to be easy, if you can even get started.  Do you have machine(s),  any material?  If you have material what kind?

So,  if you get a list of stuff that people would use if they could,  what would you do with that info?  Please don't call our SOF guys super-ninjasnipers.  Also is your personal preference Eagle or are you saying it's personal choice for SOF?  If it's your personal choice,  what are you basing it off? 

-Skeletor- said:
So,  if you get a list of stuff that people would use if they could,  what would you do with that info?  Please don't call our SOF guys super-ninjasnipers.  Also is your personal preference Eagle or are you saying it's personal choice for SOF?  If it's your personal choice,  what are you basing it off?

Not for SOF, heh I said it was something I enjoyed using for training for the CF it had a large hydration bladder and lots of room to carry weights for rucking. Plus could be useful when in the CF (If I'm accepted when done schooling) just said it was a good piece of gear in my opinion. Plus Eagle Ind. from the info I've gotten on DIY-Tact is the benchmark of everything and anything armour carriage related.

I had John the Rigger up in pet put a zipper in the side of my bivy bag...Lord Gods, did that make it better! I can actually get in and out of it now! And it's still plenty water resistant too!

Back